Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums

Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums (http://www.joblo.com/forums/index.php)
-   Misc. NON-MOVIE TALK forum (http://www.joblo.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=75)
-   -   A debate on films and guns are over due well this is waht this director has said (http://www.joblo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148294)

Bondgirl 01-17-2013 07:19 PM

A debate on films and guns are over due well this is waht this director has said
 
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/entertain...verdue-redford

Director Robert redford says that movies containing guns is not good and things should change in a way

I have to agree that there is alot of guns and other things that can be concerning plus you have people out there who can not control certain behaviors to a point

it is a shame we have to change the way we do things but if there is a negative impact maybe something should be done

i hope you have a look at this link and see waht you think of waht he is saying

Do you think that we should stop making movies with guns in it and go for a more tamer version
Years ago actors and directors and also producers would make films but they would let you use your imagenation on waht happens next

This is a actor who stared in Sundance and well that had guns in it

Maybe things have changed these days on how people react to waht they see in movies

Anyway l would like your opinion on this

SS-Block 01-21-2013 03:59 PM

.

Preston_79 01-22-2013 10:58 AM

All Redford is saying is that the dialogue about gun rights is long overdue, as well as looking into the effect guns have on an audience. He's not really saying there should be less guns in films. Very few people can't control themselves and I don't think those people should be catered to at the expense of my entertainment. That's not me being selfish. It would be selfish to take away something the majority likes and can handle, just so a few nut jobs won't be influenced negatively.

I would say depictions of violence in films has increased, but violence in the real world is decreasing. If you don't want to watch movies with guns in them you don't have to. I don't understand what the intended consequences would be if they removed guns from future movies, or even toned it down. All I know is nearly all my favorite movies have guns in them at one point or another, accept for Vanilla Sky.

rustysyringe 01-22-2013 02:20 PM

I like and respect Redford but he is clearly off base here.

We need to address gun laws, licensing, and registration. We need to address the situation of seriously mentally unstable individuals having access to weapons. But for him to insinuate that movies may be linked to increased gun violence is moronic.

Movies and video games do not make kids go on shooting rampages in schools. Just like porn does not make men rapists or violent towards women.

Why does everyone have to be so extreme right or left nowadays? What happened to the moderates? What happened to logic?

psycheoutsteve 01-22-2013 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rustysyringe (Post 3647168)
Why does everyone have to be so extreme right or left nowadays? What happened to the moderates? What happened to logic?

I don't know if political stance in general has that much to do with logic. It probably has more to do with how strongly you feel about something. That's not saying that the logic of some extremists is fool-proof, but that technically you can have an extreme viewpoint and still be logical. I think the problem is that some people often let their passions overwhelm their own common sense when they side with an extreme perspective, which in turn undermines their cause because everyone looks at them like an idiot.

Personally, I prefer the moderate stance on most things political, but I am open to hearing a right wing argument as well as a left wing argument on the subject of gun control; provided both sides keep their emotions in check and focus on making sensible points.

rustysyringe 01-22-2013 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psycheoutsteve (Post 3647176)
I am open to hearing a right wing argument as well as a left wing argument on the subject of gun control; provided both sides keep their emotions in check and focus on making sensible points.

It is illogical to assume that is even possible.

creekin111 01-22-2013 05:31 PM

What's the debate anyway? Who's going to be telling who to do what and to what effect?

Herald 01-22-2013 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bondgirl (Post 3645514)
Do you think that we should stop making movies with guns in it and go for a more tamer version

Haha you ask this on Joblo? Everything needs to be R-rated according to the gents here. If they had their way Mufasa's guts would've been all over the screen when he got trampled by the wildebeests instead of that pussy off screen death he got.

Preston_79 01-22-2013 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Herald (Post 3647208)
Haha you ask this on Joblo? Everything needs to be R-rated according to the gents here. If they had their way Mufasa's guts would've been all over the screen when he got trampled by the wildebeests instead of that pussy off screen death he got.

Eh, I disagree. I don't think you'll find anyone in here that's that extreme.

But rationally speaking, guns have helped create some pretty amazing cinema. Anyone who loves movies has befitted from having them included. I'd say that was an indisputable fact.

Bondgirl 01-22-2013 09:28 PM

Well like guns and abut of voliece in films. Sometimes it can make a movie exciting and it is not only men who like it women can,be,huge fan as well

psycheoutsteve 01-23-2013 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creekin111 (Post 3647194)
What's the debate anyway? Who's going to be telling who to do what and to what effect?

Well, after everything that happened in Newtown Connecticut, you can bet there will be some changes regarding gun laws in the U.S. This will naturally inspire some debate between gun enthusiasts and those who are in favor of stricter gun control laws. It's already happening now.

creekin111 01-23-2013 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psycheoutsteve (Post 3647432)
Well, after everything that happened in Newtown Connecticut, you can bet there will be some changes regarding gun laws in the U.S. This will naturally inspire some debate between gun enthusiasts and those who are in favor of stricter gun control laws. It's already happening now.

I'm asking what's the debate about guns in movies not just guns. So what's the problem with guns in movies? Is there a problem? What's the solution? If there is a solution then what will be the effect?

Let me put it this way. If whoever has total control of everything Hollywood or TV puts out and you eliminate all the violence what effect is that going to have on society? Also did gangsters in the late 1800's and early 1900's watch gun movies like Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid growing up?

psycheoutsteve 01-23-2013 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creekin111 (Post 3647454)
I'm asking what's the debate about guns in movies not just guns. So what's the problem with guns in movies? Is there a problem? What's the solution? If there is a solution then what will be the effect?

Let me put it this way. If whoever has total control of everything Hollywood or TV puts out and you eliminate all the violence what effect is that going to have on society? Also did gangsters in the late 1800's and early 1900's watch gun movies like Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid growing up?

You make some good points. Personally, I don't believe violent movies and video games are to blame for increased violence in society. I think that if you banned violence and gun-play at the movies that there would be no change in the levels of violence we see today. People will always find excuses for their actions, so if you eliminate one of their supposed sources of violent behavior they'll just find something else to blame. That said, if you could blame one external source for increasing violence in society I think it would have to be the media. All the media does is instill fear into those who pay attention to it, further alienating us from each other. We learn to fear almost everything from watching the news these days, which tends to make people more greedy and self-centered then they normally would be.

As for the question of whether banning violence in movies could actually happen? I honestly don't know if it could.

Mr. Guiltless 01-23-2013 04:45 PM

Rated NC-17 for gun use and cigarettes. I can already see it.

Exophrine 01-23-2013 04:52 PM

There is no debate on guns in film....the reason it hasn't happened in this generation yet is because we knew how stupid a discussion it is, so we didn't bother.

...at least that what I'd like to think.

Bondgirl 01-23-2013 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creekin111 (Post 3647454)
I'm asking what's the debate about guns in movies not just guns. So what's the problem with guns in movies? Is there a problem? What's the solution? If there is a solution then what will be the effect?

Let me put it this way. If whoever has total control of everything Hollywood or TV puts out and you eliminate all the violence what effect is that going to have on society? Also did gangsters in the late 1800's and early 1900's watch gun movies like Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid growing up?

Well the debate is about guns in movies and the effect it has on people also we are qestioning the director and his thoughts on having guns in movies pluus you can look at guns in,general

Bondgirl 01-23-2013 05:09 PM

I do believe that since l was a kid things have changed we didn't watch volient shows or movies we didn't have wee were always playing sports these days kids and some adults stay in front of the tv or game plus games and,movies are getting,volient

Roy Batty 01-23-2013 05:38 PM

There's no denying that continuously viewing various forms of violence has an affect on someone's mental state, whether this means the individual becomes influenced by the source itself or simply gains a higher tolerance for what's being seen is what's currently being debated amongst other things. Personally, I don't think Hollywood should limit the amount of violence that they put in films or on television--that's why rating systems are there. It's the job of parents to recognize and discuss with their children the outlets they have easier access to these days. However, like others have already mentioned, the issue of gun violence isn't limited to entertainment, it's a constant struggle to find a balance between introducing and enforcing restrictions on certain firearms, more research being conducted within the field of mental illness and susceptibility, as well as other possible sources that lead to these acts of malevolence.

Bondgirl 01-23-2013 09:48 PM

What disgusts me is,when you see a mature 15+movie at the theatre and you see 10,or even 8,ye old children in there don't you think it is the responcabilty of the person selling the tickets to tell parent there young child can not come in I feel evenin a child can be ushered I to a r rated movie l feel we need stronger laws

Preston_79 01-23-2013 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bondgirl (Post 3647572)
What disgusts me is,when you see a mature 15+movie at the theatre and you see 10,or even 8,ye old children in there don't you think it is the responcabilty of the person selling the tickets to tell parent there young child can not come in I feel evenin a child can be ushered I to a r rated movie l feel we need stronger laws

Really? You don't think that decision belongs to the parents, not the people who work at the theater?

Exophrine 01-23-2013 11:42 PM

BG, you can make all the laws you want; that's not the problem, and it's definitely not the solution.

Bondgirl 01-23-2013 11:56 PM

I do think that the person who runs the,theatre should tell the staff that letting in children should not on it does happen a lot why take your,children in the first place,things like this can upset a child if very youg and,having very young children exposed to this can be,disturbing

Bondgirl 01-24-2013 12:03 AM

Plus of cause it it is up to the parents to take them to theatre and seeing things that are not nice plus l feel if you take a child to a volient or a r rated,film there not a good parent so in other words it should be the responibilty of the parent and staff

Preston_79 01-24-2013 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bondgirl (Post 3647594)
Plus of cause it it is up to the parents to take them to theatre and seeing things that are not nice plus l feel if you take a child to a volient or a r rated,film there not a good parent so in other words it should be the responibilty of the parent and staff

So you would make it illegal for a parent to take an kid say, under 10 to a R rated movie?

Would you feel differently if they showed it to them at home and not the theater? Should there be laws against that?

Bondgirl 01-24-2013 12:14 AM

Of caurse they can bring conditions of entry at the theatre,if enough people,complain children can be,effected from what they see so something needs to be,done and make everyone responiable

Bondgirl 01-24-2013 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Preston_79 (Post 3647598)
So you would make it illegal for a parent to take an kid say, under 10 to a R rated movie?

Would you feel differently if they showed it to them at home and not the theater? Should there be laws against that?

I will ask you would you show a child under the age of 10, a R rated movie l know I would not,they are way to young to be seeing volienc,e that can affect them I also thought we had laws in place for what kids should be seeing at theatre l know aus does but it is not taken serious it should in my eyes

ilovemovies 01-24-2013 02:04 AM

Unfortunately one of my managers at work listens to Alex Jones radio show and he almost always has it's on while we are working so I often have to here this wacko talk. One time it wasn't Jones speaking, he was off that night and someone else was filling in for him. And I got so infuriated by this asshole when he called "hollywood liberals" hypocrites for wanting more gun control when they make movies with lots of guns and violence. God, I wanted to send that guy a message to call him on how stupid he was being because real life and movies aren't the same thing. Movies are FANTASY. They are not real. Therefore it is not hypocritical to want more gun control in real life while enjoying on screen action and violence. But then, this is the kind of logic you have to deal with when listening to Alex Jones! :rolleyes:

ilovemovies 01-24-2013 02:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bondgirl (Post 3647600)
I will ask you would you show a child under the age of 10, a R rated movie l know I would not,they are way to young to be seeing volienc,e that can affect them I also thought we had laws in place for what kids should be seeing at theatre l know aus does but it is not taken serious it should in my eyes

I saw plenty of R rated films before I was 10 and I turned out okay.

The MPAA is not law. It is strictly voluntary. But the majority of movie theaters do enforce it. But they have no legal obligation to do so.

Bondgirl 01-24-2013 03:38 AM

Well I am a strict parent l would never have a child see a rated r film the child would be seeing pg or rated G movies a lot of kids have nightmares or do not have a understanding,off rated,films and l want them to be a child than be a adult to quick

Bondgirl 01-24-2013 03:42 AM

Also people selling tickets to little kids should be fined or have some,one higher watching them parrents with kids should be turned away if it is A related r

Bondgirl 01-24-2013 03:58 AM

That is why what this director has said volice guns and other things are dominating films and where we don't really consider that it effects some people even games,need,to be looked at for the content it is alright if you are a lot,older but a lot of,kids don't understand the difference,between fantasy and what is real that is why you have kids shooting with guns if they have problems,

ilovemovies 01-24-2013 04:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bondgirl (Post 3647676)
That is why what this director has said volice guns and other things are dominating films and where we don't really consider that it effects some people even games,need,to be looked at for the content it is alright if you are a lot,older but a lot of,kids don't understand the difference,between fantasy and what is real that is why you have kids shooting with guns if they have problems,

Well now you are getting into parental guidance issues which quite frankly I think is probably a huge part of the problem. Guns and easy access from the mentally ill and violent criminals is only part of the issue. I do think how these people are brought up and parented needs to be looked at as well.

Video games and violence in the movies I don't think comes into it. Or if it does, it's more of a parental issue than it is with the films/television/video games themselves.

Another issue too I believe is how the media presents these shootings and how they often make a celebrity out of the gunmen. Although to be fair, I actually thought the media did an okay job of reporting the Sandy hook Elementary shooting because I remember hearing a lot more about the victims than the shooter himself.

Bondgirl 01-24-2013 06:07 AM

Yes l do agree it,is A parental problem and these days parents think there kids are mini adults kids can,be playings at any part of the day and bought so in others words it becomes addictive and they can lose them selves parents are working too so no one is home so if you are in debt well you can't just leave,work so where one parent was home years a go well these no one is around to bring control

Bondgirl 01-24-2013 06:15 AM

I disagree video games movies with exstreme volience and now porno films are a problem and having the internet for downloading all this is bad Did you know they did a study stating that men and boys,are watching 2hrs of porn each day and,this can effect boys on what they think of girls and,women depending on how bad and how extreme,the porn is

Bondgirl 01-24-2013 06:22 AM

Well that is right media does make a celeb out of shooters who kill and some might look up to this or become a copy cat killer yes parents need to control a nd percent,kids give,good values get them out of the house and get them into clubs or sports instead of being on a computer or tv set up boundery s so the learn about what is right and wrong

Preston_79 01-24-2013 10:08 AM

This is bringing back memories of all the R rated movies I saw as a kid. I think the first movie that truly terrified me was Fantastic Voyage when the white blood cell eats Donald Preasence. I was exposed to pretty much any movie I could get my hands on as a child. My dad took me to see Aliens when I was 6, Predator at 7, the classic Action Jackson when I was 8.

I'm grateful my parents didn't shelter me. I can't think of one negative thing that came from watching R rated movies and violence as a kid because the whole time I was being raised with love, and parents who would explain things to me. I had an awareness as a kid that I don't think some of my peers had till much later. I honestly believe my life has benefited from being able to watch what I wanted. If my parents give me guidance and wisdom, I would have probably been fucked, but that would be regardless of movies I watched.

Roy Batty 01-24-2013 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Preston_79 (Post 3647740)
This is bringing back memories of all the R rated movies I saw as a kid. I think the first movie that truly terrified me was Fantastic Voyage when the white blood cell eats Donald Preasence. I was exposed to pretty much any movie I could get my hands on as a child. My dad took me to see Aliens when I was 6, Predator at 7, the classic Action Jackson when I was 8.

I'm grateful my parents didn't shelter me. I can't think of one negative thing that came from watching R rated movies and violence as a kid because the whole time I was being raised with love, and parents who would explain things to me. I had an awareness as a kid that I don't think some of my peers had till much later. I honestly believe my life has benefited from being able to watch what I wanted. If my parents give me guidance and wisdom, I would have probably been fucked, but that would be regardless of movies I watched.

Completely agree with this. I saw A Nightmare on Elm Street on VHS when I was 8, A Clockwork Orange when I was 11, and Requiem for A Dream at 13.

I don't think because a parent allows their child to see a rated-R film that the parent is being neglectful or suffering from some parental problems as Bondgirl seems to be suggesting. I just think sheltering your kids and confining them to the ratings their age falls within is going to lead to them seeing the materials the parents try so hard to restrict them from because believe it or there's easier ways to get access to mature material than ever before.

Mr. Guiltless 01-24-2013 01:37 PM

Yeah. Forbidden Fruits always attract more to themselves.

How about taking a look at all the medications these violence-disposed children are taking.....

Bondgirl 01-24-2013 07:12 PM

I cant beleive you went to see your first r rated film at such a young age
As a parent l wouldnt have done that also iif a young child say 6yr old went to a movie like this they wouldnt stay still but if a child is watching a childrens movie at there age level they would be alright

Alot of parents take there children because there is no one to look after them so they have to tag along to be scared to death
I feel this is still wrong
Also children of today are seeing things worse than what you guys would have seen as a young kid

Things are so explicit this can include sex scens and exsteme volience

See when we were going up things were not so bad but video games are at the point where they are causing problems to kids
And if anyone say they dont well they do
Why did you think they put over 18 yrs old on alot of video games in Aus because they are being grabbed by underage kids

Bondgirl 01-24-2013 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Guiltless (Post 3647828)
Yeah. Forbidden Fruits always attract more to themselves.

How about taking a look at all the medications these violence-disposed children are taking.....

What type of medications are you talking about Mr Gultness
I feel the only thing that is keeping kids on video games is addiction and irrisponiable paerents not checking on waht there children are doing with there time


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:03 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.