Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums

Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums (http://www.joblo.com/forums/index.php)
-   DVD, Blu-Ray & Home Theater Discussion (http://www.joblo.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Dredd DVD Video Quality? (http://www.joblo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148340)

oh-dae-su 01-20-2013 08:17 PM

Dredd DVD Video Quality?

I bought Dredd on DVD and I noticed that the video quality seems to be a little blurry and not look as good as some other DVDs. I don't know if it's the way they shot it or what but I was wondering if anyone else noticed this too.

scottmushroom 01-20-2013 09:41 PM

I can't speak for the DVD, but the BD has a good amount of grain in it, which I have a feeling is how it was filmed.

oh-dae-su 01-20-2013 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottmushroom (Post 3646597)
I can't speak for the DVD, but the BD has a good amount of grain in it, which I have a feeling is how it was filmed.

The main scene that sticks out is the scene where Mama and the henchman are walking through a hall talking about one of their men that got captured. That scene was very grainy.

SkyNet 01-20-2013 10:03 PM

Ya.. the movie was shot with Digital vs. Film, and I have noticed when you shoot Digital you always get that Grain, which I hate (I am a Film Purist and love the look of 35mm Film Stock)

You can really notice it in Michael Mann movies like Miami Vice.

KcMsterpce 01-21-2013 12:28 AM

Actually, hi-def digital can be grain-free, which many film "purists" hate because they like the "organic" look of natural film grain.
With that said, COLLATERAL and MIAMI VICE used standard definition digital cameras, also with extremely high-speed stock (meaning that the grain will be much more apparent) - I would assume as much as 3600 ISO - and is actually Mann's artistic choice. It's most noticeable of course in COLLATERAL for example, during handheld night shots in the streets of L.A.

With DREDD, I assume there was an extremely high grain film stock and/or digital exposure setting, causing an intentional amount of grain in several scenes. They look even more "grainy" if it's in a low-light setting.

I haven't watched the DVD, but the blu ray does have several scenes that are rather grainy, which is quite a juxtaposition to other scenes, most especially the slo-mo moments with blown contrasts very heavy color saturation.

I remember the scene you're mentioning with Mama in the halls, and yes it's rather grainy/blurry.

Huttjos 02-02-2013 01:37 AM

Well that's your first mistake, buying on DVD, lol. Blurry is DVDs game son. I bought the blu a week ago and it is sharp, but grain comes thru, mainly as the style the film was shot at.

oh-dae-su 02-02-2013 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huttjos (Post 3650593)
Well that's your first mistake, buying on DVD, lol. Blurry is DVDs game son. I bought the blu a week ago and it is sharp, but grain comes thru, mainly as the style the film was shot at.

DVDs are blurry? Since when? The picture quality is fine.

Huttjos 02-02-2013 09:51 PM

Ever since bluray came out I just feel DVDs are subpar in quality, which they are when you compare. The only time I buy a DVD is when I want a really obscure movie where the likelihood of it ever coming on blu is very slim.