Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums

Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums (http://www.joblo.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Movie Talk (http://www.joblo.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Welcome to Dwayne Johnson season: starts in Feb, goes to July (http://www.joblo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148531)

Badbird 02-06-2013 12:19 AM

Welcome to Dwayne Johnson season: starts in Feb, goes to July

Starting this year, we will introduce a new season to the calendar. It now goes: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter, and Dwayne Johnson. The Dwayne Johnson season starts in February (Snitch), goes through March (GI Joe 2), April (Pain & Gain), May (Fast & Furious 6), then takes June off, only to come back in July (Empire State).

Please adjust your daily routines accordingly. This has been a public service announcement.

ilovemovies 02-06-2013 12:28 AM

And I'm looking forward to ALL of them. They all either look or sound great (in the case of Empire State, which hasn't had a trailer yet).

rocknblues81 02-06-2013 03:11 AM

Well, The Rundown was good about a decade ago... Can't think of anything else he has been in that is actually worthwhile, and so I'm not expecting these to be good. Maybe one of them will be decent. The least likely being G.I. Joe 2. Yikes!

Badbird 02-06-2013 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilovemovies (Post 3652107)
And I'm looking forward to ALL of them. They all either look or sound great (in the case of Empire State, which hasn't had a trailer yet).

I don't know anything about Empire State; I just found it on IMDB when I was checking to make sure I wasn't missing any of his movies.

I'm also looking forward to them all. I really like Dwayne Johnson as an actor. The guy has the most commanding screen presence since Arnold's heyday in the late 80s. He just oozes charm and charisma and can make just about anything watchable.

It's just too bad that he made that long detour into kiddie movies.

rocknblues81 02-06-2013 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Badbird (Post 3652382)
I don't know anything about Empire State; I just found it on IMDB when I was checking to make sure I wasn't missing any of his movies.

I'm also looking forward to them all. I really like Dwayne Johnson as an actor. The guy has the most commanding screen presence since Arnold's heyday in the late 80s. He just oozes charm and charisma and can make just about anything watchable.

It's just too bad that he made that long detour into kiddie movies.

Walking Tall would be watchable if the original didn't exist, and The Gridiron Gang is watchable enough to watch once. Faster is one that I know to watch. Maybe it is serviceable.

echo_bravo 02-07-2013 01:32 AM

I do like the Rock but I wont be seeing any of those movies. I'm happy for his success though.

CZuver99 02-07-2013 02:13 AM

I have seen all The Rock's movies (except Tooth Fairy) and I am pretty impressed with his success. I would have never imagined he would have been this big of a star.

Best Fav. Movies from The Rock
1. The Rundown
2. Fast Five
3. The Game Plan
4. Faster
5. Scorpion King
6. The Other Guys
7. Gridiron Gang
8. Get Smart
9. Walking Tall
10. Be Cool
11. Journey 2
12. Mummy Returns (just because he was only in it for 5 minutes)
13. Race to Witch Mountain
14. Planet 51
15. Southland Tales

ilovemovies 02-07-2013 03:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Badbird (Post 3652382)

I actually think he's a better actor than Arnold. And this is coming from a guy who always thought Arnold was a better actor than people often gave him credit for. But I think The Rock has more range where as Arnold had a limited range.

As for his kids movies, I largely agree but I have to say that I did enjoy Journey 2: The Mysterious Island. It was a fun little movie.

gabriel1980 02-07-2013 03:52 AM

I really enjoyed The Rundown (or Welcome to the Jungle as it was called over here) and Faster was pretty awesome.

Badbird 02-07-2013 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilovemovies (Post 3652586)
I actually think he's a better actor than Arnold. And this is coming from a guy who always thought Arnold was a better actor than people often gave him credit for. But I think The Rock has more range where as Arnold had a limited range.

I agree all around.

EZM22 02-07-2013 05:21 PM

Even though he's made his share of shitty movies, I have hope that eventually Dwayne Johnson will become the big action star he's being touted as. The guy is just likable and charismatic as all hell, and really deserves it.

Sue me, I'm a fan of his, and I don't even watch wrestling. All he needs is a couple of big hits, and he's there.

I'm actually looking forward to Fast Six now after the badass full-length trailer; now here's a franchise that has improved tremendously with each installment.

I'm not holding out hope that G.I. Joe 2 ends up being great (fun timewaster at most), but I did see a ten-minute-or-so preview of it in theaters recently (a Snake Eyes/Storm Shadow fight followed by that cliff scene that's in all the trailers), and I have to admit the 3D was REALLY well done. At least it looks like they got that part right.