Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums

Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums (http://www.joblo.com/forums/index.php)
-   Books/Comics (http://www.joblo.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   JoBlo.com presents...The 50 Coolest Movies of All-Time (http://www.joblo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35975)

QUENTIN 09-30-2002 12:49 AM

JoBlo.com presents...The 50 Coolest Movies of All-Time

What will certainly be the greatest book in all of literary history had it's announcement and unveiling tonight, what's everyone think and how many copies are you gonna buy?

Is it me or is this about the coolest fucking thing since Michael Madsen picked up a razor? With publishing and a foreword by someone with a fan-base like Smith, our beloved Berge may become the next Ebert...but thinner and more attractive...and with movies like Evil Dead 2 in his top 50 book.

Well in addition to mucho anticipation, lets also give everyone's favorite author a huge congrats...the literary world changes October 28th!

Highspeed 09-30-2002 10:51 AM

I already pre-ordered it...and my cousin loves this website so I just might order one for him too!

James Logan 10-02-2002 12:17 PM

Greatest book of all time, no questions asked. It's gonna change the face of the world when it comes out. :D

SeperateSelf 10-02-2002 08:23 PM

Can't wait for this. Pre-ordered this and Attack of the Clones monday (through JoBlo's links of course;) ) and I just know it's gonna be a great read. I also dig Kevin Smith, so all the more reason to support our beloved JoBlo. :D

blankpage 10-05-2002 12:03 PM

This is some kick arce shit.Joblo is going to blow Ebert and Maltin away with the kick ass book coming out.And to top it off Kevin Smith intro!I have already pre-ordered like 100 copies for everyone in my town.

areyoubeingserved 10-06-2002 01:18 AM

opinion

Why should I buy this book? Has anyone read it yet? Sell it to me.

Scarface98.9 10-06-2002 02:27 AM

Re: opinion

Quote:

Originally posted by areyoubeingserved
Has anyone read it yet? Sell it to me.
None of us have read it, we're just sucking up to Joblo

The Handeman 10-07-2002 08:37 PM

you want sucking up??

GOODFELLAS IS THE BEST MOVIE EVAR

that and i love the book i love the book PULITZER PRIZE PULITZER PRIZE!!!!!

James Logan 10-09-2002 08:14 AM

Re: Re: opinion

Quote:

Originally posted by Scarface98.9
None of us have read it, we're just sucking up to Joblo
LOL Actually that's exactly what we're doing.

Jason Voorhees 10-09-2002 02:39 PM

lol. Well, I'm getting a copy; no doubts there. The book should be amazing.

blankpage 10-09-2002 07:14 PM

Re: opinion

Quote:

Why should I buy this book? Has anyone read it yet? Sell it to me.
Ok well Joblo wrote it,the best reviewer ever.And plus his 50 coolest movies list.So 50 slick Joblo reviews,a Kevin Smith Forward,and Joblo reviews.

I don't think we jave to convince you.It's Joblo man,so it's already known to be good.

.......I am such a suck.;)

bob 10-10-2002 04:05 PM

I agree that it looks like a great book. The intro by KS will be great, and I think the fact that Jo wrote 50 BRAND NEW reviews shows how much he cares about us schmoes and everyone who loves movies.

I want a new book by Jo every year, just like Ebert!

areyoubeingserved 10-10-2002 11:05 PM

Re: Re: opinion

Quote:

Originally posted by blankpage
Ok well Joblo wrote it,the best reviewer ever.And plus his 50 coolest movies list.So 50 slick Joblo reviews,a Kevin Smith Forward,and Joblo reviews.

I don't think we jave to convince you.It's Joblo man,so it's already known to be good.

.......I am such a suck.;)

Indeed you are. JoBlo I am thankful for indeed, but I dislike his reviews, so I can't see myself buying a book on them. However if it goes twords the man and the site whom he divinely created then I'm happy either way.

SLAW 10-11-2002 08:53 PM

Re: Re: Re: opinion

Quote:

Indeed you are. JoBlo I am thankful for indeed, but I dislike his reviews
:eek: :eek: :confused: :eek: :eek: :(

areyoubeingserved 10-12-2002 10:02 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: opinion

Quote:

Originally posted by SLAW
:eek: :eek: :confused: :eek: :eek: :(
?

SarahG 10-12-2002 03:40 PM

Did anybody else notice that is has a 3 to 5 week shipping wait on it. What the hell is up with that. I wonder if the book can be found at my local Barnes & Noble?

Gregorious8 10-12-2002 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by SarahG
Did anybody else notice that is has a 3 to 5 week shipping wait on it. What the hell is up with that. I wonder if the book can be found at my local Barnes & Noble?
I think that's because the book doesn't come out till end of October.

Kaos 11-06-2002 12:15 PM

Amazon.com has just notified me that my copy of JoBlo's Book is being shipped, and should arrive between Nov. 10-12. I can't wait!

Puck Bond 11-09-2002 02:31 AM

Lookie what I got in the mail today!

Ahhhh today was a good day...when I woke up at about 1:00PM I looked to see what mail had arrived and there it was the amazon.com box I had been waiting for! and what was inside you might ask...well JoBlo's book had finally arrived!

Great job JoBlo with the book! The forward by Kevin Smith is great and is hilarious at the end. Obviously a lot of hard work went into it...so great job dude!

BTW why isn't _________ on your list?!

Just Kidding! ;) Great stuff dude!

darkface 11-09-2002 03:45 AM

i ordered my copy at Barnes n' Noble last week. And they finally called tonight to say it's in!!!!!! so tomorrow i'm there! hurah!

Scarface98.9 11-16-2002 02:58 AM

So has anyone actually read it yet?

FeydRautha 11-23-2002 01:59 PM

I'm halfway through it, and JoBlo's very constructive and true to form in his reviews. If you enjoy reading his reviews here, you'll love this book. In each review is a "The coolest thing about this movie is:" section and fun factoids/trivia about each flick. Kevin Smith's foreward and JoBlo's intro are great, entertaining reading. I love it when he describes living at home in his parents' garage...poor sod.

My only criticism is this: for a book that has "Of All Time" in its title, why did he only pick films from the latter third of the 20th Century up to the present? The earliest film I've found (so far) is Dirty Harry (1971). I know it's only one reviewer's opinion, but some darned cool movies came out prior to that. He does explain why he did this in his intro, but it still makes for a misleading title.

Still, I'd recommend this book to anyone who enjoys entertaining and often humourous reviews. With Christmas just around the corner, it'd make a great stocking stuffer.

A.J. Hakari 11-26-2002 11:59 PM

FeydRautha's right on the money. Just finished this book today, and damned if it wasn't an infectiously enjoyable read. JoBlo cracks wise and makes joke plenty, but he definitely makes his love for and knowledge of film well known in his summaries and critiques (I'd also like to stand up and say that I love the hell out of GREASE, too). There are a few on the list I haven't seen (THE KILLER, WALL STREET, A VIEW TO A KILL, etc.), but thanks to the book, I'll be checking them out as soon as I can.

Now here's my question: When's the "Arrow in the Head" book going to come out? :)

Scarface98.9 11-27-2002 12:39 AM

Or rather, JoBlo.com presents...The 50 Worst Movies of All-Time

James Logan 11-28-2002 12:51 PM

I ordered mine off Amazon (and told my dad to do so through here...hope he did!) and it should arrive some day soon. I live in France, so shipping takes time, but at soon as it gets in my mailbox, I'll read it, and give y'all my "review". :cool:

JCR 11-28-2002 02:18 PM

On amazon.co.uk it lists the new copy price as 11.37 and the second hand price as 13.68. That's slightly strange.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...476951-8347040

James Logan 11-28-2002 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by JCR
On amazon.co.uk it lists the new copy price as 11.37 and the second hand price as 13.68. That's slightly strange.

Depends whose hand the second hand was. If it's Catherine Zeta-Jones's hand, for instance, it explains the change. :D

Ok, lame joke...shoot me.

bob 11-28-2002 08:14 PM

I'm hoping to get this for Christmas, I can't wait to read the reviews. However, he has a few odd choices(IMO):

Grease? Uhh, a seventies over the top musical is cool?

A View to Kill? Uhh, Roger Moore at 85 is cooler than any of the Connery Bonds?

The rest of the choices are right on, especially a few less obvious choices:
The Big Lebowski
Evil Dead II
Enter the Dragon

Jerk Shapiro 12-01-2002 05:58 PM

Heyheyhey, the man has his opinions. If he likes A View To A Kill, so be it. To each his own, Jo always says. :rolleyes:

rushmore beauty 12-05-2002 12:16 AM

Will you be able to buy his book in normal book stores, like Indigo or Chapters? oh, I live in Calgary, Alberta if that matters.

James Logan 12-05-2002 09:14 AM

Well, just got mine through mail today. I'm busy tomorrow but I hope I'll get the time to read it over the week-end...I just couldn't believe it when I opened the package...MA, LOOK, IT'S JOBLO'S BOOK! :p

bob 12-25-2002 03:00 PM

I opened a present on Christmas Eve, and voila...Jo's book. That night I read the whole thing, intro to Thank you note to KevinSmith.

I love it. Along with If Chins Could Kill, probably my favorite film-themed book. Jo knows that the movies he's picking aren't necessarily "good"(though most of them are) just "cool". He wrote a lot of funny reviews, had a great sense of humor, and the intro from KS was very complimentary.

P.S. I've never seen someone revel in a man-crush on John Travolta so freely :D

James Logan 12-26-2002 10:32 AM

I've read it!

Got it, opened it, read it.

Honestly? It was a good read. It would have been a good one even had I not known JoBlo, but the fact of "knowing" the man and being one of the old-time Schmoes did add some pleasure to reading this little baby. Overall, you gotta admit it's not a book that's gonna change the face of the world -- far from it -- and it's not even one of the best movie-related books ever. But it's a great, funny, read. Kevin Smith's intro got me all teary-eyed, JoBlo's writing style is as fun and witty as usual (although a few jokes didn't hit and even sounded lame...sorry, Blo-Meister ;) ), and even if you disagree with his picks for 50 COOLEST OF ALL TIME, it's clear why he picked those particular movies, and what his definition of cool is, which makes it hard not to agree with him in the end. Personally, I agreed with the picks of movies I saw, and for the ones I didn't see, it made me feel like watching 'em (TRUE ROMANCE especially...no, I didn't see it yet, my bad, sue me).

Overall...I'm glad I bought it, it's a book I'll keep and love for many many years, as much for its actual value as for the sentimental value attached to it.

James Logan 12-26-2002 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Adam J. Hakari

Now here's my question: When's the "Arrow in the Head" book going to come out? :)

I was thinking the same thing just now. I hope it won't be too long before it does come out, cause I'd sure as heck love to read it.

Annie Hall 12-27-2002 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by James Logan
I was thinking the same thing just now. I hope it won't be too long before it does come out, cause I'd sure as heck love to read it.
Then I could have a set! I'd put them aside on a shelf, and there would be my little JoBlo.com book collection to match all of my pictures of Jo on...my...walls...um...heh...never mind...;)

Lindsey 12-31-2002 04:39 AM

None of my local book stores had his book in, like Barnes and Noble, and even Borders. So for my Christmas present my mom ordered me his book!

It should be arriving any day now! :D

the p&j experiance 01-12-2003 08:29 AM

as SHOCKING as this may sound, I'm not getting it and I don't want it. Sure Kevin Smith gives an introduction, but I'm not gonna shell out cash for a book that just talks about movies. My opinion, not yours.

Scarface98.9 01-12-2003 12:39 PM

I read it awhile ago, but decided not to post my review for fear of getting banned:(

bob 01-12-2003 01:44 PM

Oooh, subtle burn on Jo by Scarface......:D

Just post some of your problems with it. As long as it doesn't turn into a personal thing, I don't think Jo's gonna ban you. He's got so many people that love his book that he can probably handle a little constructive criticism.

Scarface98.9 01-12-2003 02:04 PM

I don't hate the book or anything, but I'll just say if I wasn't a member of this site, I would've never picked the book up. I loved some of his choices, like Dark City, Blade 2, and The Big Lebowski, and agreed with most of his choices, but that wasn't really an issue. I loved the Kevin Smith foreword, and his blow job analogy for reading Blo's reviews. And Blo does come off as the casual guy he talks about so much as an average guy who loves watching movies.

But after reading some of the reviews of movies, they all started to sound the same. I don't normally read his reviews on the site anyways, but come for the board, some DVD reviews, and movie news. But I usually just ignore the reviews unless it's for a movie I'm really interested in. But the movies he picked and the reviews written had the same basic compliments, except with a few differences here and there. So if I was reading a review of Blade 2 and later read a review of The Crow, I probably wouldn't notice the difference except the names of the lead characters. After awhile, it got repetitive, and finished the book after a span of a week. I never recalled any of his drug/beer/sex jokes that worked, since they were all basically the same, with a few variations.

I'm not gonna grade it, since I don't know what to grade it. I really like parts of it, but dislike others, but wouldn't rate it a 5/10. So I don't know