Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums

Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums (http://www.joblo.com/forums/index.php)
-   Horror Movie talk (http://www.joblo.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   $lasher$ (http://www.joblo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40020)

thebloodfeaster 11-26-2002 01:59 PM

$lasher$

Slashers --

I went into this movie expecting it to be pretty fun, and I was not disappointed in the least. Anybody who appreciates slasher movies and does not need it to be scary to enjoy it should definitely check this movie out. It is not a particularly gory movie though except for in very few parts, so don't go into it expecting a gorefest.

For those who do not know, the premise of the movie is a Japanese game show in which six contestants are in a large maze with three slashers on the loose. Anybody who survives to the end of the show wins a large sum of money. The show had been very popular in Japan, and is now airing its first American episode.

I was sucked in when I watched the mock actor's interview with Chainsaw Charlie, where they treat Charlie as if he is a real life serial killer hired to make the movie. The interview was a riot and Charlie was dumb as a post, fulfilling his role as the stereotypical inbred hillsman. My favorite of the slashers, Preacherman, is out to hand down some divine judgment on the contestants. Dr. Ripper has just come back out of retirement for the American contestants, much to the pleasure of his long-time fans. The acting for the slashers is goofy, but pretty decent. I have no complaints here.

Some of the contestant's acting was rather poor though. It's not bad enough to diminish the movie, and I suppose for low budget standards, it is really not all that bad. We did get to see one of the girl's breasts, but unfortunately that scene was all too brief. This was definitely a movie that could have benefited from some more nudity (wait... couldn't every movie benefit from some more nudity? :)

This film does not take itself too seriously, which is a good thing, but that does not mean it is all fluff. There is actual social commentary here. Many people hate reality tv shows, yet they are among the most popular things on television today. This movie shows the danger of taking our obsession with these shows to the furthest extreme.

To end, I feel that I should mention that the Japenese "Slasherette" dancers were pretty damn easy on the eyes :cool:

7/10

Downfall 12-01-2002 06:38 AM

This is one whack ass movie I read about this movie before it came out I thought the idea was kind of cool but it just failed.

For some reason a lot people seem to like this movie a lot I don't know why? Anyway if you have nothing better to rent check it out you might like, Judge for yourself.

3/10

Hardcore Horror 01-04-2003 09:20 PM

This movie sucked balls!! Shit, a mental patient could have acted better then everybody in this movie. Thank god i only rented this! I should ask for my four dollars back.

Worst movie ever!!!

radikill 02-12-2003 05:02 PM

Just got $lasher$ from Netflix a few days ago and I was really disappointed with it. Overall, I thought the story was thin and the acting was terrible. But there were a few things the flick had going for it, so here's my list of pros and cons.

Pros:
- Nice editing job throughout the flick, making it look like a TV show shot with one camera in one extended take.
- The actor who played Chainsaw Charlie and Preacherman did a great job.
- There's a great scene on a bridge that takes place during a commercial break (during commercials, everyone has to freeze until they're over or get shocked stupid by electric collars on their necks). It's sort of a Mexican stand-off between Chainsaw Charlie and one of the contestants, and it shows Charlie as a human being rather than a cartoony killer. More of this stuff scattered thoughout the movie would have been great!

Cons:
- Aside from Charlie/Preacherman, I've seen better acting by sock puppets.
- The whole "shot on video" look, which I always find grating.
- Weak fx and cardboard sets make the film's low budget really stand out.

I give $lasher$ 2/10. For a better flick that satires the reality-TV genres, check out Series 7: The Contenders

Herbert_West 02-15-2003 11:27 PM

i was really dissapointed with this! i thought it was going to be awesome... i was wrong. i should have known.... everytime i get hyped up i am let down hard.

as i like to say this movie was a ball of shit rolled into film

Lizarrd 02-25-2003 04:19 PM

I liked it...the story was decent, the acting OK, but what impressed me most was the way they took a small budget and did some fairly decent gore with it.

I give it a 7/10

countchocula 05-03-2003 06:39 PM

http://www.slashersthemovie.com/asse...asherettes.jpg

MINOR SPOILERS

I shouldn’t have watched the making-of documentary on the $lasher$ DVD because now I feel guilty for giving the film a negative review. Everyone involved in bringing this splatteriffic satire to life went about his/her responsibilities with sheer enthusiasm and genuine ardor. The steadfast cast and crew put a great deal of effort into the production and never doubted its relevance for a second. But I need to brush my empathy aside and judge the end result on its own merits. I respect the intentions behind $lasher$, but frankly, it disappointed me. The ambitious premise, the fun villains, and the satirical punch that this flick offered were blighted by wretched acting, loathsome characters, sloppy “special” effects, and a ham-fisted approach to conveying its message.

The script was written in 1998, well before the masses were deluged by a host of pathetic reality shows. Writer/director/editor/producer Maurice Deveraux drew his inspiration from European reality shows that came close to matching the level of sobering severity achieved by the title series. $lasher$ is a hit reality show that heaves contestants into a “danger zone” where they’ll be stalked by three psychopaths. Whoever is left standing at the end of the show will win millions of dollars. The film itself is simply played out like an episode of $lasher$, which leaves the door wide open for sequels. Continuity errors wouldn’t factor into the equation, and characters would be able to come and go as they please without upsetting the storyline. Whether or not I’d like to see another episode of $lasher$ is a different story altogether, unless it was promised to be the series finale.

The choice to shoot this flick on video held some aesthetic value. The cut-rate visuals aren’t distracting since you feel as though you’re actually watching a television show. Another probable reason why Deveraux took the shot-on-video route was to curb expenses. However, you wouldn’t know that he had money to spare just from observing the shoddy effects. I would say, “They shouldn’t have attempted to deliver outlandish gore if they knew how slapdash it would look,” but with a title like $lasher$, I suppose that you have to take a crack at devising gruesome goodies to conciliate gorehounds. Again, the effort is commendable, but the death sequences are so poorly executed, that I wasn’t convinced by a single prosthetic. And trust me, the characters deserved to be killed in the most authentic ways imaginable.

Apart from Miho, the show’s cutesy-sexy host, and the film’s antagonists (more on them later), the entire cast is despicable. Most of the characters are confined to one character trait and their dialogue is vomit-inducing. Sarah Joslyn Crowder tested my nerves as Megan. Her incessant whining and soapbox ranting is intolerable. Kieran Keller goes way over the top as Michael. This could’ve been fun to watch, but he seemed to be under the impression that his performance was credible, which applies to everyone else. To make matters worse, each character is given a laughable monologue that is meant to add “depth” to the proceedings. I suffer from so-and-so disease, I have a family back home, a severe injury terminated my career...I DON’T CARE! Where are the “slashers” when you need them?

Luckily, our villains steal the screen and take pride in hacking the exasperating contestants to pieces. Neil Napier stars as two nutbags – Preacherman and Chainsaw Charlie. Preacherman needed more screen time, but he sees to it that his screen time counts. His southern drawl echoes that of Chainsaw Charlie, but in a sense, that was unavoidable. Charlie himself is a blissfully impious redneck. His breaking out of character during a commercial break was a nice touch. Last, but certainly not least, we have Dr. Ripper, as maniacally played by Christopher Piggins. I got a kick out of his penchant for topless chicks. Piggins’ performance is energetic and appropriately camped up. He came off as a legitimate madman, what with that frenzied mug of his.

It goes without saying that $lasher$ drives home a valid point. The public is fixated on hollow TV shows that manipulate the lives of others and put emotional discord under a callous magnifying glass. The film addresses this topic a bit clumsily. The social commentary is practically shoved down your throat, which renders the message ineffective. There are better ways to express your opinions on a certain issue than to have your main character make direct references to the main theme while staring at the camera. Deveraux was fighting a noble cause, though. I can actually see a program akin to $lasher$ premiering on Fox at some point down the line. All we can hope for is that it, too, will feature a cheerleading squad.

My rating-2/5

SixStrangSmoker 05-04-2003 07:12 PM

i knew this movie wasnt gonna win any oscars, but hell these days i usually hate the movies that win them. I actually kinda dug this movie, its a cool concept and all though there were a few times where you could tell it wasnt, they made it look pretty convincing that it was real time.

Dignan 05-06-2003 05:13 PM

I have seen worse. Decent, nothing special. yes it is, yes it is!

XCoRyX 05-31-2012 04:02 PM

been a bit since i've rewatched, but own it on DVD and for a low-budget attempt I find this a surprisingly good time. If you check out the featurette on the DVD too, it'll make you appreciate the low-budget struggles and such. loved the design/character of the Preacher.