Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums

Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums (http://www.joblo.com/forums/index.php)
-   Horror Movie talk (http://www.joblo.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Society (http://www.joblo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4053)

fatale_femme 05-18-2002 08:10 AM

Society

I sat and watched this film a few months ago, and up until 20 minutes until the end I was thinking 'when is this gonna get to the point??' and then it did. And it actually shocked me. which takes a lot. It has a very strong underlying social message.

What does everyone think of this film?

Oh and for the record I love Billy Warlock. The guy deserves more work, and not just as an extra on Diagnosis Murder!

Jewbo 05-18-2002 09:02 AM

loved it. the effects were great and damn what a finalie.

Psychocandy 05-18-2002 09:23 AM

This is one mighty fine movie. This along with Re-Animator, From Beyond and Return of the Living Dead 3 is why I will always have massive respect for Brian Yuzna. Even his lesser movies still have great stuff for us genre enthusiasts. I first saw Society at a horror film festival in Scotland. Boy was I shocked. For about 80% of the running time it lulls you into a false sense of security. It's like Beverly Hills 90210 directed by David Lynch then for the last 20 minutes it becomes the ultimate in Cronenbergesque body horror. I remember my chin hitting the floor then staying there until the credits rolled. How many other movies have you all seen with a scene where the main character rams his fist up the bad guys shitter then keeps working his hand up through the guys body until his finger pop out of the guys mouth and eye sockets at which point he procceeds to pull the guy inside out. Jeeeeesus!!!! That is some sick perverted shit and no mistake. All of this and the fact that the movie is an intelligent metaphor about class distinction and how the rich live off the poor adds up to a genre classic. I just pray that Yuzna's forthcoming Beyond Re-Animator kicks his career back into gear after his recent disappointments. Society = 4.5/5

Mr. Movie Man 05-18-2002 02:41 PM

Me saw it. Me thoughts it was disgusting. Good entertainment it was...

Jewbo 05-19-2002 12:05 PM

"It's like Beverly Hills 90210 directed by David Lynch"

just saw that and its totally sums this movie up.
well done Psychocandy great quote.

skweemkween 05-20-2002 04:05 PM

All I can say is-weird,weird,weird,weird,WEIRD!

Psychocandy 05-29-2002 03:59 PM

Quote:

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by skweemkween:
All I can say is-weird,weird,weird,weird,WEIRD!</font>
So you thought it was weird, eh?

Did you like it though? When I saw it at the horror film festival I mentioned in my previous post it blew the audience away. The movie almost got a standing ovation when it finished. Good times. Can't wait till next years festival.

nightmareman 05-29-2002 05:50 PM

When I first got on the arrow message board I would Rant Rant about this movie that this is a MUST SEE, i love this movie, it is very odd but real good. the ending left me all messed up in the head

skweemkween 05-31-2002 02:31 PM

Quote:

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Psychocandy:

Did you like it though?
</font>
I didn't HATE it but it was kind of like-well, when you try that new funky sandwich at pub you heard about, and it's got a weird mixture of flavors you don't normally eat-and there's like this weird veggie/meaty/tangy aftertaste, so you get thru it and go "well, that really wasn't that bad."
But you find yourself NEVER ORDERING IT AGAIN?
Well, it was kind of like that.

Jason13thh 06-01-2002 09:46 AM

Yuzna critics the society, the rich guys killing the poor guys.
They " eat " them.
This film was really slow I mean nothing happends 'til the last 20 minutes where there is the orgy - scene with this flesh.

XCoRyX 08-17-2011 08:17 AM

i acutally came across the trailer for this recently and it somewhat intrigued me as something that could be a bit of a hidden, neglected gem. and i also dig yuzna's work. definitely seems like it is a total hit or total disaster though in being divided by the people who have seen it. but then again, i suppose, what isn't? p.s. the poster art is awesome.

does anybody know if this is even on DVD?

ChrisClu30 08-17-2011 01:21 PM

Yes it's on DVD, I rented it from netflix a few months ago, or you could order it from amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Society-Billy-...3604981&sr=8-3

XCoRyX 08-17-2011 01:51 PM

ah okay, cool thanks. what did you think of it?

ChrisClu30 08-17-2011 02:42 PM

Definitely find it and watch it. 8/10

DickJones 01-16-2012 10:07 PM

I dig Yuzna's work and while not his best I dig this film. I'm still waiting on my copy of The Dentist and Bride of Reanimator to come from amazon.

DickJones 01-16-2012 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psychocandy (Post 50185)
This is one mighty fine movie. This along with Re-Animator, From Beyond and Return of the Living Dead 3 is why I will always have massive respect for Brian Yuzna. Even his lesser movies still have great stuff for us genre enthusiasts. I first saw Society at a horror film festival in Scotland. Boy was I shocked. For about 80% of the running time it lulls you into a false sense of security. It's like Beverly Hills 90210 directed by David Lynch then for the last 20 minutes it becomes the ultimate in Cronenbergesque body horror. I remember my chin hitting the floor then staying there until the credits rolled. How many other movies have you all seen with a scene where the main character rams his fist up the bad guys shitter then keeps working his hand up through the guys body until his finger pop out of the guys mouth and eye sockets at which point he procceeds to pull the guy inside out. Jeeeeesus!!!! That is some sick perverted shit and no mistake. All of this and the fact that the movie is an intelligent metaphor about class distinction and how the rich live off the poor adds up to a genre classic. I just pray that Yuzna's forthcoming Beyond Re-Animator kicks his career back into gear after his recent disappointments. Society = 4.5/5

Beyond Reanimator is great and I urge anybody to give it a viewing.

jagged halo 02-04-2012 09:55 AM

Fantastic flick, the subject matter is as relevant today as it was back then. Nothing much has changed, greedy moralless bankers sucking the life out of the ordinary man, whilst purporting to be respectable pillars of the community, they are anything but. Greedy fake parasites which 'Society' deals with in graphic detail. A very clever film in so many ways, it's almost a parody of The Thing.

Hats off to 'Screaming Mad George' he came up with some of the most spectacular FX of the 80s, he reminds me of Rob Bottin, unbelievably talented. Society's one of my favourite flicks of the 80s, pity we only have a bare-bones release..