Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums

Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums (http://www.joblo.com/forums/index.php)
-   Site Suggestions/Questions (http://www.joblo.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Site Suggestions/Questions FAQ!!!! (http://www.joblo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41015)

JoBlo 12-09-2002 12:34 AM

Site Suggestions/Questions FAQ!!!!

First of all, for all your board-related questions (profile, signature, cookies, avatars, passwords, etc...), click on the F.A.Q. button at the top right hand side of every page.

Furthermore, please read through these questions/answers below, so that this forum isn't always going through the same questions over and over and over again. Thanks.

FAQ: FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
-----------

HOW DO YOU GET TO BE A SENIOR/SUPER SCHMOE?
There are six levels of Schmoe-dom on this message board.

Infant Schmoe (Minimum Posts: 0)
Junior Schmoe (Minimum Posts: 50)
Senior Schmoe (Minimum Posts: 250)
Super Schmoe (Minimum Posts: 1000)
King of all Schmoes (Minimum Posts: 10000)
Administrator (that's me!)

HOW DO YOU GET TO BE A MODERATOR?
Every now and then, a moderator will quit because he/she will no longer have the time to dedicate to the care of their specific forum (or we open a new forum), at which time, we generally put up a notice in the specific forum, and the SITE SUGGESTIONS/QUESTIONS one, asking for people to send in their respective applications for the forum in question. Keep your eyes and ears tuned for that. Please don't email me before any such request. Thanks.

CAN I DO WHATEVER I WANT ON THIS BOARD, JOBLO?
Not really. This isn't a public board, it's a privately run board by joblo.com, and we have some very basic RULES & GUIDELINES which everyone agrees to abide by when they join the board. The MAIN RULE is RESPECT FOR OTHERS at all times. For all of the details, CLICK HERE!

HOW COME YOU DIDN'T REVIEW <insert movie name here> YET?
The answer to this question is quite simple: I am but one man and can only review so many movies. I try to see all of the new releases from week to week, but sometimes, I skip one here and there, because I simply do not have the time. As for any older movies like TITANIC or BRAVEHEART, well, the site only opened in May of 1998, so most films before that have no been reviewed on the site. Having said that, we do have a VIDEO REVIEWS forum, in which I scribble down some of my video reviews from time to time.

WHY DON'T YOU OPEN A FORUM FOR <insert title here>?
At this point in time, we believe that we have enough forums to satisfy our board members and ourselves. We used to have a MISC. NON-MOVIE TALK forum, in which folks could discuss items other than movies, but it got too messy in there, so we decided to re-dedicate our board to movie discussions only (until recently, when we added some hobby-related ones as well like MUSIC, VIDEO GAMES and BOOKS). From time to time, we might be adding some new forums, so stay tuned for our requests on that.

WHY DON'T YOU OPEN A GENERAL DISCUSSION FORUM, NON-MOVIE RELATED?
We tried this at one point in our development and even though it was very popular, it also caused a zillion headaches, created all kinds of "soap operas" on our board, brought along folks who really didn't give two shits about movies or our site and ultimately degenerated into bullshit conversations about very little. We decided to do away with it and stick to being a private board run solely for the purposes of movie conversations (and a few small hobbies). To read more about our decision NOT to have a "general" discussion forum, click here.

WHO ARE YOU, JOBLO?
This is about as close to a background as you'll get on me...but essentially, I'm just a guy with an opinion on movies, like anyone else. I don't consider myself a "real critic", which is why our site allows for much participation from our visitors. I believe that their opinion is as valid as anyone else's (well, at least the constructive ones, of which there are many) and I guess that's part of the reason that I opened this site in the first place...so that everyone could have their opinions heard.

For more semi-biographical stuff, CLICK HERE or better yet, BUY MY BOOK!! :)

WHAT ARE YOUR FAVORITE MOVIES OF ALL-TIME, JOBLO?
I HATE making lists (or rating films, for that matter), because I honestly love a lot of different movies (they're like my kids, man...don't make me pull a SOPHIE'S CHOICE!), but if I had to choose, here are some of the flicks that I enjoy watching over and over again:

GOODFELLAS, WHEN HARRY MET SALLY, TRUE ROMANCE, AMERICAN PSYCHO, STAR WARS, AIRPLANE I & II, FLIRTING WITH DISASTER, RAISING ARIZONA, BEAUTIFUL GIRLS, THE CROW, CLERKS, FIGHT CLUB, NIGHTMARE BEFORE X-MAS, SWINGERS, EDWARD SCISSORHANDS, WALL STREET, LEAVING LAS VEGAS, TAXI DRIVER, FOUR WEDDINGS AND A FUNERAL, RUSHMORE, FRANKIE & JOHNNY, SEVEN, HONEYMOON IN VEGAS, NINTH GATE, OUT OF SIGHT, JERRY MAGUIRE, HAPPY GILMORE, RESERVOIR DOGS, INDIANA JONES..., ALIENS, WONDER BOYS, THE PROFESSIONAL, THE SHINING

If you want to see my TOP 10 LISTS from the past few years, CLICK HERE!

HOW DO I INSERT A PICTURE (OR SMILIES) INTO MY MESSAGE?
Find the EXACT URL of the picture that you want to insert into your message, and place [img] in front of it, and [/img] right behind it, in the body of your message. Ex:

http://www.joblo.com/images/picblow.jpg

As for smilies, you can see the SMILIES LEGEND to the left-hand side of all message forms.

HOW COME MY SIGNATURE DOESN'T WORK ON THIS BOARD?
Basically, we've decided to "disable" the signatures from our forums because they seem to serve more as a distraction on these discussions boards, eye-sores, than anything else. You can add "personal information" to your online profile though.

HOW DO I MAKE PART OF MY MESSAGE IN BOLD OR ITALIC OR IN COLOR AND HOW DO I ADD A LINK TO ANOTHER SITE IN MY MESSAGE?
For an entire FAQ on specific vBulletin CODES that you can use to "spice up" your messages, click here to have the VB CODES EXPLAINED.

HOW DO WE KNOW WHO'S ONLINE AT THE SAME TIME AS US?
Scroll all the way down to the bottom of the front page of our board and you will see the # of people on the board at the same time as you, as well as their names ("guests" indicates the folks who are roaming the forums but are either not logged in or not registered). Today's schmoe birthdays are also listed there.

You will also be able to tell who is online as you are reading different threads: a YELLOW CHECK ICON (http://www.joblo.com/images2/on.gif) under a person's post will indicate that they are ONLINE right then, and a RED CHECK ICON (http://www.joblo.com/images2/off.gif) will mean that they are offline.

WHAT'S AN 'AVATAR' AND HOW DOES IT WORK?
Avatars are the chosen pictures that you will be able to pick to go hand in hand with your username on the board (they are shown under your name). To choose an avatar for yourself, click on USER CP at the top right hand corner of the forum, then EDIT OPTIONS, scroll all the way to the bottom and click on CHANGE AVATAR. I personally uploaded about 300 different pictures for now (see them all here), but you can choose your own and upload it from that area as well. The picture should be no bigger than 70x70 pixels and 15k in size.

Here are some examples:
http://www.joblo.com/images2/490fshtombraider.gif

http://www.joblo.com/images2/495mshhulk.gif

http://www.joblo.com/images2/480othjack8.gif

HOW DO I REPORT SOMEONE WHO IS DICKING AROUND OR INSULTING OTHERS ON THE BOARD?
It is now easier for you to help us keep this board from turning into a zoo, as you will note the presence of a link in EACH POST entitled "REPORT THIS POST TO A MODERATOR". If you notice that someone is INSULTING another, SPAMMING the board or just being an all-around asshole, all you have to do is click on that link, add your reason for advising the moderator, click SEND and poof....we will be IMMEDIATELY alerted of this impropriety and will look into it asap.

We HOPE that many of you will adopt this rule (and many have...thank you!), instead of attempting to go back and forth with some of these morons, since that is the attention that they crave in the first place. Thanks in advance for your help in this.

WHAT IS THE USER CP AND WHY IS IT MY FRIEND?
The USER CP is a button at the top-right corner of every forum page and it is there to help you personalize your own account and your experience on our board. Click on your USER CP and you will be able to edit your PROFILE, check your PRIVATE MESSAGES and edit many other OPTIONS as well (including cookies, turning off PM, etc...). Click on it and now and explore. It is your friend... ;)

I think that's it for now. I will be adding some more FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS as they become more...well, frequently asked... ;)

ICP RULZ 01-11-2003 01:26 PM

Well thanks for putting that up. I needed it cuz I was wondering what the stages of post counts and shit like that were.

Peace

The Delfonics 05-06-2003 04:22 PM

I think there should be a level between Super and King like at 5000 posts.

movies35 06-09-2003 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by The Delfonics
I think it should be like 7000 not 10000

Mike 07-06-2003 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by The Delfonics
Nah, I personally don't agree. I think 10,000 is just right. Do you know how many "King Schmoes" there would be if you only had to have 5,000? It should be something you have to work hard to earn, and then once you get it, you will really appreciate it. I wouldn't want it to be anything under 10,000.

RicochetShaw 07-20-2003 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Mike
Nah, I personally don't agree. I think 10,000 is just right. Do you know how many "King Schmoes" there would be if you only had to have 5,000? It should be something you have to work hard to earn, and then once you get it, you will really appreciate it. I wouldn't want it to be anything under 10,000.

I don't think Mr. Delfonics meant that you should become "King of All Schmoes" at 5,000 posts. What he's saying is that there should be a different level that you achieve at 5,000.... something like "Super-Super Schmoe." heh.. I'm not suggesting that title, just using it as an example.

CyclicNightmare 08-09-2003 12:29 PM

What does 'BUMP' mean?

badberry 08-14-2003 02:26 PM

a meaningless post meant to 'bump' the thread to the top of the list so more people see it. (threads are listed by most recent post first)

CyclicNightmare 09-13-2003 05:22 PM

EDIT: Original, frivolous question deleted.

Nevermind. It matters no longer.

K Gee 01-22-2004 09:54 PM

stupid question here. How do I get my avatar to change images during a post?

TheDeadWalk 01-23-2004 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by K Gee
stupid question here. How do I get my avatar to change images during a post?
In this very forum, scroll down until you find "Need a new avatar? Avatar questions?"

The professionals reside there and I swear it seems like they check it every fifteen minutes like Batman on Gotham City.

jackson13 05-03-2004 11:43 PM

Excuse me, Sir?

I seem to have Spyware on my computer, yet again, and came to find the topic you had up that provided a link to removal, yet the topic is gone. I've tried downloading several programs off of the net, but none of them work. They just do a scan and tell me I have it but dont get rid of it. I remember the last time it happened, the link you provided worked wonders and my computer was back to norm in no time. So could you please, pretty please, with sugar, put the topic back up so I can yet again fix my computer?

Thank you.

I swear to christ im gonna find the person who invented Spyware and rip hs fucking guts out.

jackson13 05-03-2004 11:59 PM

Scratch that, I got unlazy and did a search and found it.

Thank god for search.

And thank you for providing that link to spywareblaster Jo, your a life saver. (or in this case, computer saver).

thedudeman69 08-14-2004 12:00 AM

Has anyone been banned on this site?

Jas 08-23-2004 04:29 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by thedudeman69
Has anyone been banned on this site?
I'm pretty sure those are the 'Former Schmoes', but I don't know if that's only for those banned..

fear's soul 10-12-2004 01:40 PM

what is a former schmoe

darchangel 10-12-2004 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by fear's soul
what is a former schmoe

a former schmoe is generally someone who has been banned from using the boards because of something they said which offended someone to the point that the mods had to intervene.

you'll be able to tell they're a former schmoe because it says 'former schmoe' under the username...like yours says 'junior schmoe' under your name right now.

the moral of the story: be nice or you'll end up a former schmoe!!! ;)

Rockin' Like Dokken

~darchangel~

X-Nightcrawler 07-04-2005 05:36 PM

*stomps foot*
I hate to be the stubborn brat but it'd really be great if we got ourselves an Anime section. That way we don't clutter up Video/Horror Reviews with anime series/movies reviews.
. . . just, just saying.

Cronos 08-21-2005 05:33 PM

i too think it would be great to have an anime section

and it would help tidy up other sections of the boards

CyclicNightmare 12-19-2005 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by fear's soul
what is a former schmoe
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Oh irony.

countchocula 12-19-2005 09:21 PM

Pretty funny.

< a c e > 12-29-2005 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by FORMER SCHMOE fear's soul
what is a former schmoe
irony indeed.

shifty 02-05-2006 10:22 AM

i think even fears soul would appreciate that:)

Asa_Phelps 04-23-2006 05:46 PM

Do you have to have special permission to post in the Politics section or something? Because I can post everywhere except for in there . . .

riotstarter 04-25-2006 02:58 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Asa_Phelps
Do you have to have special permission to post in the Politics section or something? Because I can post everywhere except for in there . . .
I noticed this too with me. What's up with that?

Lazy Boy 04-25-2006 03:04 AM

In the FAQ section of that board, it says you have to ask permission to post on the Politics forum, so you just can't start putting messages there. Probably a measure to keep out any posters who troll more than discuss matters in a mature, topical way.

riotstarter 04-25-2006 03:11 AM

Thanks man.

By the way you have the coolest fucking avatars.

Lazy Boy 04-25-2006 03:16 AM

Thank you very much. :)

Nosleepnson 11-18-2006 03:59 PM

I checked the FAQ and if I missed the answer to my own question please forgive me. BUT. Is there an easier way to get your movie collection listed? I have a dvd profiler account with 1261 dvds. I would love to put that here. But, (unless I'm mistaken) you have to select each movie from a drop down list to add it to you joblo list!Is there an easier way?

:confused:

JackassFan 11-19-2006 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Nosleepnson
I checked the FAQ and if I missed the answer to my own question please forgive me. BUT. Is there an easier way to get your movie collection listed? I have a dvd profiler account with 1261 dvds. I would love to put that here. But, (unless I'm mistaken) you have to select each movie from a drop down list to add it to you joblo list!Is there an easier way?

:confused:

At the moment that's the only way to do it. I don't think there are any plans to change it, so I suggest you just take your time with it and put a few of your movies in at a time. Hope that helps.

God of War 12-06-2006 05:57 AM

How about we have siggy privs please?

say 110x320 ,im dimensions and max file size say about 60-70 kb.

PURTY PLZ?:D

Demosthenes 12-16-2006 12:05 PM

Dvd Drop down

I'm adding my dvds onto my profile with the drop down list and at least 10 of them aren't on there. Is there a way to submit new ones for the list?

Danger^Cart 03-19-2007 02:57 PM

Alright, I'm not much of a complainer, but I've had enough. This QUESTIONAIREMARKET.com business is fucking ridiculous. I realize the need for advertisements, and I certainly don't want to have to pay in order to keep the site going, but these douchebags are on my last godamn nerve, and their presence has only been apparent for 15 minutes. I can handle the drop down ads that you brush by accident and barrage you with all sorts of obnoxious hell, I can take a lone pop up intruding on my space every once and awhile, but when these fuckers at Questionaire have some little box that scrolls across my screen EVERY SINGLE TIME I traverse the site, I gots beef.

Please, man. You gotta do something.

yorrick brown 06-02-2007 05:01 AM

can somebody help me please.

i sent a email a few months ago.but JOBLO is a busy guy or who ever checks his emails.

but i really want to change my name on joblo from yorrickbrown to the more female lol caitlin13.how /who do i need to email for this to change or what thread do i ask this request on.

help please.

thanks guys

JackassFan 06-02-2007 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by yorrick brown
can somebody help me please.

i sent a email a few months ago.but JOBLO is a busy guy or who ever checks his emails.

but i really want to change my name on joblo from yorrickbrown to the more female lol caitlin13.how /who do i need to email for this to change or what thread do i ask this request on.

help please.

thanks guys

If JoBlo hasn't replied to your email, I'd suggest you either re-send it or start a new thread in this forum about it. God of War did the same thing, and he got his changed when JoBlo noticed the thread a few days later.

a7xfan 06-22-2007 12:21 PM

iv'e wondered why, in the horror franchise forum, their aint no childs play forum, yet theres a romeros dead movies one? surely chucky deserves to be there? ???????

WalterKovacs 07-16-2007 08:09 PM

How do you upload a new pic into the CHANGE AVATAR section? I suck at this....

Darkly Dreaming 05-09-2008 09:12 AM

EDIT: Nevermind, found it.

AshleysDad 08-19-2008 03:42 PM

testing adding a picture.

http://www.impawards.com/2008/poster...night_ver4.jpg

hmmmm Why did this not work? What did I do wrong? Does a picture have to be on a site to be added?

Edit: I got it now.

Cronos 08-19-2008 05:54 PM

[img]http://www.impawards.com/2008/posters/dark_knight_ver4.jpg
[/img]

Adding [/img] on the line below it is why it didn't work, needs to be right after it (remove *'s):

[img*]http://www.impawards.com/2008/posters/dark_knight_ver4.jpg[*/img]

Although impawards don't allow hot linking, which is why it will show up like:

http://www.impawards.com/2008/poster...night_ver4.jpg

Easier to host pics on something like imageshack or photobucket first.