Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums

Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums (http://www.joblo.com/forums/index.php)
-   Horror Movie talk (http://www.joblo.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Women Horror Directors (http://www.joblo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53162)

Gravedigger 05-17-2003 09:13 AM

Women Horror Directors

Was just wandering of the female directors of the genre and are they small in numbers or growing. I know a few t name but does my fellow horror schmoes know of any others?

Kathryn Bigelow. (Near Dark)
Mary Lambert. (Pet Sematary 1 & 2)
Hope Perello. (Howling 6)
Rachel Talalay. (Freddy's Dead, Ghost in the Machine)
Jackie Kong. (Blood Diner)

There are a few more, I can't think of them...

pyscho dude 05-17-2003 04:39 PM

I got nothing agaisnt female directors but I just don't think they can make horror movies as dark or disturbing as male directors can.

countchocula 05-17-2003 04:43 PM

Ironically enough, Slumber Party Massacre was directed by a woman.

electriclite 05-17-2003 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by countchocula
Ironically enough, Slumber Party Massacre was directed by a woman.

And written by a feminist!

electriclite 05-17-2003 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by pyscho dude
I got nothing agaisnt female directors but I just don't think they can make horror movies as dark or disturbing as male directors can.

Hon, with the LARGE amaount of sucky horror movies I've seen that just happen to be directed by men, maybe we need to switch things around just to make sure we ain't missing anything.

EoghainFOKeeffe 05-17-2003 05:31 PM

If Poppy Z Brite directed a horror movie it would be the sickest and best horror movie ever made! Women seem to write some very disturing horror fiction - they could definitely make some incredible horror movies.

The Delfonics 05-17-2003 06:23 PM

Dont forget American Psycho

pyscho dude 05-18-2003 12:12 PM

Yeah modern horror films. But all the most well known and popular horror films have been made by men. Friday the 13th, Halloween, An american werewolf in london, Return of the living dead, Night of the living dead, Dawn of the dead, Suspira, A nightmare on elm street, Alien, ALiens, Dead ALive, Evil Dead, The Omen, Predator, and several more.

pyscho dude 05-18-2003 12:17 PM

Well Pet Cemetary was a good film and that was made by a FEMALE director. I'm just saying when you compare the horror films made by men and then the ones made by women you'll find men's are more disturbing. Evil Dead for instance. But then again women would find that offensive. HHHHMMMM..... But if I see a female make a really disturbing gruesome horror film then I'll keep my mouth shut.

Pumpkinhead 05-18-2003 04:17 PM

Quote:

Well Pet Cemetary was a good film and that was made by a FEMALE director. I'm just saying when you compare the horror films made by men and then the ones made by women you'll find men's are more disturbing. Evil Dead for instance. But then again women would find that offensive. HHHHMMMM..... But if I see a female make a really disturbing gruesome horror film then I'll keep my mouth shut.
It's not really fair to compare the films made by women and the films made by men, because 99 percent of horror films are made by men, while very few were made by women. Obviously if there is a bigger selection of horror movies made by men, it's going to be easier to find a dark, disturbing one made by a man than by a woman. I'm sure if there were an equal number made by both sexes, there would be plenty of disturbing genre films made by females. Also, your comment about The Evil Dead is an unfair generalization. You can't say that all women would find The Evil Dead offensive. My own mother doesn't consider it offensive, and there are plenty of women on this board who don't, either. Also, there are many men who do find the Evil Dead movies offensive, so it's not fair to assume that no man would be disgusted by the ED films.

chinton 05-18-2003 05:22 PM

Also lets not forget that it's not the easiest thing in the world for a woman to become a director period and twenty years ago it was even harder. Therefore how can you say women directors aren't that adept at horror films when they have a hard enough time becoming a director. Kind of illogical. I think they could probably write sometwisted ass films.

frogmonkey 05-18-2003 06:00 PM

Iknow enough women to know that they can be just as fucked up as guys. Hell, my mom got me into horror and Charlee Jacob writes some of the sickest shit out there. It is just that nobody takes a woman seriously unless she is doing a romantic comedy or a feminist angst movie

ERIN_LoJ 05-19-2003 12:18 AM

Quote:

WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT!!!!!

LOL You meer males would be terrified to see what's in THIS female's mind....

If more females were interested in directing horror, they could be as good as males. We are just as dark, just seems less women have an interest in horror for some reason.

Females, however, make great horror novels! Not many are as morbid as the great Ruby Jean Jensen, I'm assuming Mary Shelley was female?, and Shirley Jackson, etc.

The only other person I can think of is the director or producer of Pet Cemetary. (right? Wasnt it a female director?)

ERIN_LoJ 05-19-2003 12:21 AM

Quote:

I should have finished reading the posts before posting my comments on pet cemetary below. I enjoyed evil dead but I didnt find it disturbing at all ;) In fact, I have never been frightened by a movie, being a meer female and all bwhahahah :eek:

Jewbo 05-19-2003 12:46 PM

Quote:

pet semetry is dark and creepy as hell.

pyscho dude 05-19-2003 04:34 PM

Yeah Pet Cemetary is a dark and creepy film. GREAT FILM! Yeah I know that it's hard for women to be directors but not many women even want to direct horror films. Now that I think about it.. Yes it was unfair comparing films. Yes I'd like to see more females direct horror films. But most of them seem to be more interested in dramas or comedies. If you FEMALES have freaky ideas then I'd like to see them presented. I'm just saying. Gee.... these posts are really making me look sexist. I'm not though.

MickeyKnox 05-19-2003 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by The Delfonics
Dont forget American Psycho
Right on Delfonics, Mary Harron did an excellent job directing this movie!

skweemkween 05-20-2003 07:23 PM

Quote:

But most of them seem to be more interested in dramas or comedies. Gee.... these posts are really making me look sexist.
.......and utterly naive.

*enter the wrath of skweemkween*

You want dark and unfriendly, I will call a spade and spade and say you need to nip that naive, uninformed, and yes, sexist attitude in the bud- Bud. Capeche?

And Gee, let's see who directed these movies:

Coming to America
Jack (Robin Williams)
For the love of the game
Powder
EdTV
Big Bully
Forever Young
Fatal Beauty
Spring Break

Go ahead. Check it out......I'll wait.
Music from the Heart

Kaos 05-20-2003 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by skweemkween
.......and utterly naive.

*enter the wrath of skweemkween*

You want dark and unfriendly, I will call a spade and spade and say you need to nip that naive, uninformed, and yes, sexist attitude in the bud- Bud. Capeche?

And Gee, let's see who directed these movies:

Coming to America
Jack (Robin Williams)
For the love of the game
Powder
EdTV
Big Bully
Forever Young
Fatal Beauty
Spring Break

Go ahead. Check it out......I'll wait.
Music from the Heart

MEOW!!! Welcome back Skweemkween, I was wondering if you'd find this thread, and what you'd have to say when you did. It's too bad you can't get into another war of words with Arrow. *remembers the debate with Arrow* Ahh, the good old days.:D :p ;)

ofmknockoff 05-20-2003 07:56 PM

I don't know about the whole women not being darked or fucked-up comment. I just watched Citizen Toxie with one of my friends (who is a girl I might add) and she loved it more than I did, it seeming somewhat misogynistic at times. Also, she got me into Requiem for a Dream and HO1KC among other things. We also come up with sick and twisted ways to dispose of people we don't like.

skweemkween 05-21-2003 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Kaos
MEOW!!! Welcome back Skweemkween, I was wondering if you'd find this thread, and what you'd have to say when you did. It's too bad you can't get into another war of words with Arrow. *remembers the debate with Arrow* Ahh, the good old days.:D :p ;)
thank you sweetie. Ahhhh mammories! Like the colors of my mind!!!!

pyscho dude 05-21-2003 03:31 PM

Yeah well I just got five(5) words for you:PAPA WENT TO STORE FAST!!!

pyscho dude 05-21-2003 03:33 PM

KHANDA ESTRATO MONTOS NASFAURROUTUS AHKBAR. I have now commended the holy demons upon this world. ALL WILL PERISH!!! Hahahahahaha.Cough cough choke sneeze.

pyscho dude 05-21-2003 03:35 PM

Say hello to my little friends.(pulls out machine gun and blasts the hell outta everyone)

Kaos 05-21-2003 05:11 PM

Quote:

Yeah well I just got five(5) words for you:PAPA WENT TO STORE FAST!!!
Quote:

KHANDA ESTRATO MONTOS NASFAURROUTUS AHKBAR. I have now commended the holy demons upon this world. ALL WILL PERISH!!! Hahahahahaha.Cough cough choke sneeze.
Quote:

Say hello to my little friends.(pulls out machine gun and blasts the hell outta everyone)
O.K. dude, what the hell are you talking about, and what, pray tell, does it have to do with this thread?

ERIN_LoJ 05-21-2003 11:46 PM

ROFL I was wondering the same damn thing but didn't want to say anything, in case my intelligence level was down for the time being and I just wasn't"getting" it.

And what debate with Arrow and skweemqueen? Not to post but to read - Id love it. Anyone remember the title of the original post???

Kaos 05-22-2003 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by ERIN_LoJ
ROFL I was wondering the same damn thing but didn't want to say anything, in case my intelligence level was down for the time being and I just wasn't"getting" it.

And what debate with Arrow and skweemqueen? Not to post but to read - Id love it. Anyone remember the title of the original post???

No, you weren't out of it, I didn't understand either. Any way, here's the thread you were looking for. http://www.joblo.com/forums/showthre...threadid=29099

JurassicMik 05-22-2003 12:41 AM

Near Dark, American Psycho and Pet Semetary are some good examples of films directed by females.

pyscho dude 05-22-2003 03:33 PM

Hey guys those things I said about papa and the store and the whole demon thing is just mumbo jumbo. You see I got sick of debating this so I just started posting really stupid confusing messages. P.S. ZEPPELIN RULES!!!!!!!

pyscho dude 05-22-2003 03:35 PM

I'd also like to add that I didn't know American Psycho was made by a woman. I thought it was made by a robot named ZORG. NOT!!! But still just don't touch my stereo@!@!

skweemkween 05-22-2003 03:57 PM

*stares at last post, blinking as if reaching for understanding, takes deep cleansing sigh and says..*.........................................um ............okay.

Giselle 05-22-2003 04:06 PM

Thanks Queen, I was about to do the same thing.

Kaos 05-22-2003 04:56 PM

Yo, P-Dude, you may want to re-read the rules on posting on this board before you get kicked. JoBlo and Arrow and the rest of the mods have zero tolerence about doing dumb things on the board. Just a friendly word of warning.:)

ERIN_LoJ 05-22-2003 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Kaos
No, you weren't out of it, I didn't understand either. Any way, here's the thread you were looking for. http://www.joblo.com/forums/showthre...threadid=29099
Thanks - will read this in a minute. SInce its old I won't post but love reading and looking through debates

Cabrini Green 05-22-2003 11:22 PM

Also Bigelow's Strange Days is quite disturbing, particularly the rape scene in other director’s hands could easily dip into clumsily exploitation. Instead the film is violent but the violence has meaning that is integrated into the film. Bigelow is a very talented director and I hope to see future projects from her.

the night watchman 05-23-2003 01:27 PM

Out of that list Katherine Bigelow is the only decent -- hell, the only good one. It has nothing to do with them being women, but based on the work, those chicks are just crappy. Okay, I haven't seen "Blood Diner," so I suspend judgement on that one. Wasn't "Slumber Pary Massacre" written and directed by women?

skweemkween 05-23-2003 03:51 PM

Yep I believe it was. But seriously, can we keep in mind that if a movie blows it does NOT have to do with a person's genitalia??
Really - that would be like saying size matters, which is not true. It is gurth. or girth. or whatever......

Kaos 05-23-2003 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by skweemkween
Yep I believe it was. But seriously, can we keep in mind that if a movie blows it does NOT have to do with a person's genitalia??
Really - that would be like saying size matters, which is not true. It is gurth. or girth. or whatever......

*puts head down on desk and laughs* BTW girth is the correct spelling.:D

Fulci_Fan 05-23-2003 07:54 PM

I think there should be more women horror directors, but for the most part woman aren't AS interested in horror as men are.. I'm serious! Only like 2 out of my 10 closest woman friends are into horror. I think it has alot to do with most horror movies being almost all male dominated (With the exception of some newer titles Ring) And I think that since we are coming out of that whole "Horror movie MANS MOVIES BOOBIES!!!" Phase in the next 5 to 10 years we are going to see alot more female horror directors... I just can't wait for Sophia Coppala to make a kickass horror flick.

the night watchman 05-23-2003 11:17 PM

Fulci-Fan said it all.