Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums

Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums (http://www.joblo.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Movie Talk (http://www.joblo.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   MAY (Angela Bettis & Anna Faris) (http://www.joblo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57943)

Mike 07-16-2003 03:59 PM

MAY (Angela Bettis & Anna Faris)

http://us.ent4.yimg.com/movies.yahoo...ettis/may4.jpg

MAY (2003)

Whoa! I'm speechless! May is one weird, fun, funny, sad, and disturbing film. It's just so many things. It's a strangely beautiful character study about a lonely girl who just wants a friend. I couldn't help but feel for her. She's weird and shy, but in a cute, sweet way. I was intrigued by her, and wanted her to find happiness. No matter how pathetic her character would become, I just couldn't stop caring. I wanted to reach out to her, and be her friend. Nobody deserves to be so lonely. All she needed was a friend. But things just don't exactly work out that way. Once she began to crack and take the plunge into madness, it was understandable how it could happen. That doesn't mean that the events that unfolded weren't shocking, because they definitely were. But we see why our heroine does what she does. We can't help but want things to be different though, and for her to go down a different path, but when she doesn't, we come along for the ride anyway, following her wherever she takes us.

Angela Bettis gives an amazing performance as May. So far this is the best female performance of the year, and when the end of the year comes, if it's still not THE best, it will be one of THE best. She makes us care about her character from the beginning, and we never really stop, even when she goes psychotic. Bettis shows so many emotions, and makes us feel all kinds of things. She was very natural, and sometimes her body language spoke to us more than her words. We just knew what she was feeling, and could feel her cracking more and more as the movie went on. She was sweet, sad, scary, pathetic, and yet strangely attractive. It's too bad the Academy are such prudes, because this girl is so deserving of an Oscar nomination that it's not even funny. Unfortunately, it's obvious her performance will be overlooked by them. May just isn't "Oscar material." Plus, the movie didn't make enough money and isn't well known enough for them to even consider honoring anything to do with "May." But even if they don't honor it, the fans will always remember it. I've seen Bettis in other movies, but after seeing this, I will always remember her as May... I've always been a fan of the underrated Anna Faris. She's a great comedic actress. I found her to be a lot of fun as Polly. She's funny and sexy. This is sure to be one of my favorite supporting performances of the year. Faris was a welcome addition to this twisted little film.

Writer/Director Lucky McKee proves to be a great new talent. It's hard to believe this is his first feature film. Very impressive if you ask me. I'm looking forward to whatever he does next. If it's anything as wonderful as "May," then it should be great... Also deserving of a mention is composer Jaye Barnes-Luckett. She does a terrific job here, always providing the right music at the right moment. If she keeps this up, she'll have a bright future ahead of her.

I'm still blown away by this film. There's so many praises I have for it, that I doubt I could remember to mention them all. It's original, well acted, well written, well directed, etc... It's just twistedly wonderful. It's too bad it wasn't given a better release in theaters, but it's not exactly a mainstream movie either. It still deserved better than what it got. At least I can find comfort in knowing that it's sure to become a cult classic. Word of mouth will help it a lot. It's definitely not for everyone though. It's weird, morbid, quirky, wicked, and gutsy. It doesn't shy away from much. In fact, it has one of the best and most realistic slit throats I've ever witnessed on screen. But don't let that scare you, it's definitely worth a look for any horror fan, or any film fan in general. I'm proud to have this haunting film as a part of my collection. It's simply A-MAY-ZING!

Grade: 9/10 (A-)

Horror whore 07-16-2003 04:27 PM

I'm glad you liked it so much...

Do you think I'll like it? I'm still kind of iffy on if I'll enjoy it or not, I'm not sure it's my type of movie. I'll still probably check it out though, but sometime next month most likely because I have some other priorities...

PorcheRacer 07-16-2003 04:32 PM

http://i.imdb.com/Photos/Ss/0303361/may_05_300dpi.jpg

http://i.imdb.com/Photos/Ss/0303361/may_07_300dpi.jpg

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0...1.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

One Line Review: One of the most daring, original, twisted and unique movies that I have ever seen!

Directing: Lucky McKee does a great job. He easily mixes comedy, drama and horror together without making the movie uneven. He keeps the moving going, it doesn't drag once in it's short 93 minute run time. I loved the dark tone, the slickly edited montages and the gruesome murders. The opening credits were also very cool. The music is another thing that worked in the movie, it was great. Nice job McKee!

Acting: Everyone in the movie give top-notch performances especially Anna Farris. She gives the best performance of the movie and of her career. She's just so damn cute and likeable. Angela Bettis was also good although I didn't really like her character towards the end. That's not her fault though, her performance was solid. Jeremey Sisto was also good.

Gore: This is a very bloody flick. We get alot of scalpel action, surgery and lots of bloody body parts.

Complaints: I would have liked to have seen more of May's childhood and got to know a little bit more about her mother. I also would have like some closure with the ending. It just kind of ends...I wanted more!

Final Thoughts: May is now one of my favorite movies of 2002. It's darkly funny, dark and extremely violent. It's not a movie for the kids or a great date movie but it's a mature character study / romance / horror flick that everyone should check out because it's going to need YOUR help! Since it got fucked up the ass by Lions Gate, everyone needs to see this and recognize it for what it is; A great movie that is destined for cult fame. 9/10

Mike 07-16-2003 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Horror whore
I'm glad you liked it so much...

Do you think I'll like it? I'm still kind of iffy on if I'll enjoy it or not, I'm not sure it's my type of movie. I'll still probably check it out though, but sometime next month most likely because I have some other priorities...

I'm still not completely sure what you will think of it. I'm pretty certain you won't hate it though. I see your rating ranging from a 6/10 (at the lowest) to an 8/10 (at the highest). It's still definitely worth a look though.

someguy 07-16-2003 05:13 PM

I want to see May.

Scarface98.9 07-16-2003 05:59 PM

ONLY a 9/10? I'll probably hate it then :D

I may or may not check it out, but I'm very iffy about it. It'll depend on my monetary situation within the next few days

Hannibal21 07-16-2003 06:45 PM

I just have to say that MAY, so far, is the best movie of the year. One of the greatest, darkest, strangest and most disturbing horror film I've seen in a LONG time. During the past couple of years we have been treated to crappy, run-of-the mill slasher flicks like Urban Legend, Valentine, IKWYDLS, Jason X, and it's about time we now have another excellent horror film to enjoy. The acting was spot on. All of the actors' delivery were on, but it was Angela Bessit who made the most impression, I really felt for her sympathetic character and she really hit all the right emotional notes. This girl should at least get an academy award nomination this year. Anna Faris is just adorable as usual, but in this film she really showed her acting chops. The suspenseful mood of the film really captures the viewers; from the beginning to the intense finale, the film was just perfectly shot, along with the eerie mood that keeps us intrigued. There's also enough gore here to satisfy, and at times it can be quite disturbing but it doesn't go overboard like some other cheesy horror films. In conclusion, MAY is a funny, dark, scary horror film that all horror fans should see. A definite recommendation.

9/10

flowrchild 07-16-2003 08:04 PM

I just watched May, and I can't say I really see what was so amazing about it. I wanted to love it, and after seeing the praise on the boards, I thought I would. But it just didn't do it for me as a whole.

The beginning and middle of the movie, I thought were pretty good. It showed a girl who was nervously awkward, unable to make friends easily, yearning for a different life. All 3 actors played their parts extremely well, and I have always had a thing for Jeremy Sisto so I was pleased to see him in it. But towards the end of the movie, after it nosedived into some carrie-meets-frankenstein flick, I was just anxiously waiting for it to be over. I feel the movie would have worked better as a dark comedy than the direction it veered. There were parts that were just flat out DISGUSTING and I have a high tolerance for gore. Thank you very much to Charlie for warning me.

Anyway, overall, the movie had some good points but ultimately failed to be anything special. I doubt I will forget this movie anytime soon, although truthfully, I'd like to.

6/10

someguy 07-16-2003 08:15 PM

Somebody post a pic of Angela Bettis from May looking cute. She is adorable.

Mike 07-16-2003 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by flowrchild
There were parts that were just flat out DISGUSTING and I have a high tolerance for gore. Thank you very much to Charlie for warning me.
I actually didn't find it as gory as I expected from what I had heard. I was thinking I might actually get grossed out during this one, but I guess it just wasn't meant to be. Yeah, there's blood, but just blood alone doesn't gross me out. I never cringed once. I only found one part kind of gross, and that was just the leg in the bathtub. I just wasn't exactly expecting it. But I didn't turn away or close my eyes or anything. I didn't think it was as disgusting as some had made it out to be. Of course, if someone gets easily grossed out, then this movie might make them throw up. There's some gore, but I've seen worse, and the gore here just didn't affect me.

It's too bad that you didn't enjoy it more though. I was thinking you'd really like it, it seemed like something you'd dig.

Deckard 07-16-2003 10:39 PM

MAY 9/10

Ranking right alonside "Frailty" and "Dog Soldiers" as another modern under seen horror gem that delivers.

This "Carrie" meets "Frankenstein" tale unfolds with a confidence that allowing us to laugh, cry, scream and love its charecters and superb visuals. From it's "Ghostworld" like intro full of quirky black humour and loneliness this movie is for the "weird" people among us (like me).

As the film gains momentum, the subtle tension builds and is slowly replaced by outright horror. As a viewer we are taken through the gamet of emotions thanks largely to the stellar cast inhabiting such well rounded charecters. We empathise with just about every player and as such the directors controlled
choices and brilliant script steer us away from our reality and into that of poor, misunderstood "May"

By the time the films conclusion came around, I was like putty in McKee's hand. Writhing in my seat at the tragedy unfolding, grinning ear to ear at the splendid visuals of blood and mayhem and praying for a satisfying wrap up.........which I got.

The script is tight and believable, multi layered and textured with humanity. The cinematography is superb with intimacy mixing with granduer to create some of teh most memorable imagery ina horror film this side of Argento or Hitchcock.

Make no mistake about it, MAY is a highly original, bold film from a debut director who will surely go a long way. Lucky McKee wrote and directed this film with such class and style that I cant imagine any fan of quality cinema not appreciating it.

Do yourelf a favour and grab a copy of this bad boy..
+

flowrchild 07-16-2003 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Mike
It's too bad that you didn't enjoy it more though. I was thinking you'd really like it, it seemed like something you'd dig.
Yea I know, I thought I'd like it too. But eh.

Mike 07-17-2003 12:25 AM

Quote:

Yea I know, I thought I'd like it too. But eh.
I know this is a little off topic, but I couldn't help but notice that when you registered in 2002 it was in May. I just thought it was kind of funny. I never noticed it before until now. ;)

So, what was it exactly that you found so disgusting? I'm kind of curious, since you said you had a high gore tolerance. I'm a little surprised you were so grossed out by it. I personally didn't find it all that gross. It's funny though. I can't watch doctor shows because they make me sick, and if anyone I know has surgery and they want to show me their stitches and wound, I can't look. It makes me grab whatever part on my body that they had surgery on. Yet when it comes to horror movies, I'm not bothered. Even the stitching in MAY didn't get to me. Hell, I was actually even a little disappointed with the gore in Hannibal. I kept hearing how disgusting it was, and from the things I had heard described, I thought it sounded really gross and gory. But then when I saw it, I was like "what was the big deal?" I had expected more than that. The dinner table scene was kind of gross, but not gross enough to bother me. In fact, it was kind of gross in an interesting way, where you just can't help but watch... It's not that I need gore or anything, but when something like that is hyped up for a movie and I keep hearing how gross it is, I can't help but be disappointed when it fails to get to me.

But MAY was a great film even if it wasn't as gory as I had heard. It had a good amount of red, and might actually seem extreme to some people, so I guess it's probably best that it didn't get too disgusting, because that would turn even more people off. I did like the slit throat though, I thought that was very well done and realistic.

So anyway, what managed to get to you?

AppleHuntr 07-17-2003 12:49 AM

SPOILER!!!
the scene that most managed to make me and me friends cringe was May's cry for her new friend to "see me!", and then goes for the scissors. My friend who thought the whole movie was hilarious even was covering her eyes going "nonononononoNO!". Maybe I just have a thing about eyes cuz the part where she breaks her contacts while wearing them also made me cringe.

Yeah, the film isnt as gory as many reviewers have said, but I did find it scary, which is very rare. anyone else actually scared by May?

and Im glad ya loved it Mike, now yer grade matches mine!

9/10

flowrchild 07-17-2003 03:33 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Mike
I know this is a little off topic, but I couldn't help but notice that when you registered in 2002 it was in May. I just thought it was kind of funny. I never noticed it before until now. ;)

So anyway, what managed to get to you?

Wow, I've been here over a year now. I'm an old hound ;) That is funny about the May thing.

As for May, here's the thing. There are only 2 violent things in movies that I can't stomach. 1) Violence to animals and 2) Bad things happening to eyes.

This movie had both. Enough said. :eek:

PorcheRacer 07-17-2003 07:53 AM

********MAJOR SPOILERS AHEAD*********

Quote:

Wow, I've been here over a year now. I'm an old hound ;) That is funny about the May thing.

As for May, here's the thing. There are only 2 violent things in movies that I can't stomach. 1) Violence to animals and 2) Bad things happening to eyes.

I know what you mean! I also hate bad things happening to eyes. It just makes me cringe. The death of the cat also kind of bugged me and so did Adam's cannibal movie. I know the cannibal movie was meant for laughs but still....

I also lost all my sympathy for May after she started killing people. Adam and Polly didn't deserve to die especially. I felt sorry for them more then I felt sorry for May. I actually wish she was hauled off at then end....

Oh yeah, at the very end, when May's "friend" is rubbing her face...WTF? Is she making the arm move with her hand or is she just imagining that her face is being rubbed?

Hannibal21 07-17-2003 09:41 AM

Quote:

Oh god, I almost had to close my eyes when they had shown those parts. I felt SO sorry for that poor cat. :( Ok, they did go a bit overboard with the 'eyes' thing and that cannibal movie, maybe those parts are why I gave the movie a 9 instead of a 10.

Mike 07-17-2003 10:59 AM

Quote:

********SPOILERS********

I hate violence to animals, because I love animals. But the kitty part didn't bother me as much as I thought it would. It wasn't all that graphic. It was quick. I'm just glad it wasn't tortured or put in a microwave or oven or something.

As for the thing with the eyes. Well, I don't have a problem with eyes like quite a few seem to have. None of the eye scenes got to me.

As for the animal violence thing. I was more disturbed hearing about what happened to that poor dog that got stitched up with the stuff they use for cats. Now that bothered me some. It didn't even need to be shown, I could just picture it in my head. That story bothered me more than the actual cat death.

******END SPOILERS*******

movies35 07-17-2003 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by PorcheRacer
MAJOR SPOILERS AHEAD

I know what you mean! I also hate bad things happening to eyes. It just makes me cringe. The death of the cat also kind of bugged me and so did Adam's cannibal movie. I know the cannibal movie was meant for laughs but still....

I also lost all my sympathy for May after she started killing people. Adam and Polly didn't deserve to die especially. I felt sorry for them more then I felt sorry for May. I actually wish she was hauled off at then end....

Oh yeah, at the very end, when May's "friend" is rubbing her face...WTF? Is she making the arm move with her hand or is she just imagining that her face is being rubbed?

Porche, you might want to put the spoiler warning down a little bit. A couple people (myself included) read it. We don't want it spoiled for anyone.

flowrchild 07-17-2003 01:20 PM

Quote:

[COLOR]=red********MAJOR SPOILERS AHEAD*********[/color]

***Spoilers****

Mike, that "Cat" story really grossed me out too. I don't see exactly why that was necessary.

I didn't have sympathy for May once she went on her killing sprees, either. I think that may be why the movie didn't really work for me as a whole. I just didn't feel that sorry for her. Adam was VERY nice to her, under the circumstances, way nicer than most guys would have been after she went psycho. He certainly did not deserve to be killed, nor did his girlfriend. And her friend from work gave her attention that people usually didn't, so I don't see why she deserved to die either. It seemed all her rebellion towards people was fairly unwarranted. A movie like "May" doesn't work when I don't feel bad for her.

Mike 07-17-2003 02:17 PM

Quote:

[COLOR]=red********MAJOR SPOILERS AHEAD*********[/color]

And so did Adam's cannibal movie. I know the cannibal movie was meant for laughs but still....

**********SPOILERS**********

The cannibal movie was basically fluff to me. It wasn't anything. Sure, I could see how some might find it gross, but I took it lightly, since the gore wasn't that realistic in it, it was cheesy looking blood, like something you'd seen in an Evil Dead movie. Although I was thinking about disgusted my parents would be by it if they were watching it. Especially my dad.

Polly's death was kind of sad. She was the only person that May killed that I actually cared about. The others I could care less if they died. I think "I know you won't hurt me May, I trust you" has to be one of my favorite lines so far this year. It's sad... I knew before even seeing the movie she would die. I also knew Adam would die for sure, but I didn't care anyway, I didn't really like him. Plus, I've never cared for Jeremy Sisto. I actually think May could have done better than him if she wouldn't have been so shy and akward. She was actually a cute girl, and Adam (Sisto) was ugly. Polly was the only one of the victims I liked. Polly's girlfriend was a bitch, she was really hot though, but still a bitch, which made her less attractive. I was thinking "Come on May, kill the bitch." And then I didn't care about that girl with Adam either. She was a little rude, hinting at how they made fun of her and stuff behind her back. Then I didn't care at all that the guy with the ridiculous hair and tatoo died.

I wish Polly would have lived, but in a way, the fact that she didn't makes it a better movie. It makes it more powerful, sad, and tragic. The creator actually had the guts to kill off someone we cared about. How many horror movies do that anymore? It made it more memorable and sad. I'll never forget seeing Polly get her throat slit after saying "I know you won't hurt me May, I trust you."

I still couldn't help but care about May in the end anyway. I felt bad for her. That was how badly she wanted a friend, she'd even cut her own eye out. It's no wonder she went crazy. She was lonely and misunderstood.

********END SPOILERS********

Man, I never should have picked on anyone in Elementary school. I could have done some serious damage to them. I feel bad... I might have made someone feel like May. Of course, I don't think I picked on many people in Elementary school, basically everyone just picks on everyone. But still, I should have made more of an effort to be nice to the kids that everyone picked on.

I want to show MAY to a bunch of friends now, especially people that usually don't watch horror movies or that are really grossed out and scared easily. I want to make them sick. ;)

This movie was loads better than Stephen King's Carrie. I thought that movie was stupid. I'm not a fan of many of his movies though, most suck, other than Pet Sematary.

AppleHuntr 07-17-2003 07:56 PM

yeah I thought NBCs remake of Carrie was a piece of shit too, i feel bad Bettis had to waste her time on it when shes capable of so much more.

and on a side note, The Arrow wrote in his review of the DVD that he couldnt find the trailer for May and maybe its an easter egg, well it turns out it is.
this was over at www.dvdeastereggs.com

At the main menu scroll down until the Lion Gates Logo is highlighted and press enter to see the trailers for May, Confidence, and the Dead Zone

hmmm, interestong. i think the May trailer should just of been a regular extra though. im not complaining, I just want my copy of May, any which way will do.

Mike 07-17-2003 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by AppleHuntr
and on a side note, The Arrow wrote in his review of the DVD that he couldnt find the trailer for May and maybe its an easter egg, well it turns out it is.
this was over at www.dvdeastereggs.com

At the main menu scroll down until the Lion Gates Logo is highlighted and press enter to see the trailers for May, Confidence, and the Dead Zone

hmmm, interestong. i think the May trailer should just of been a regular extra though. im not complaining, I just want my copy of May, any which way will do.

Oh, I had found that one right away. I had another Lions Gate DVD before where you had to click on the logo for the trailers. So I just assumed it was the same way for this one, and it was. When reading Arrow's review after watching the movie, I was thinking it was a different trailer that was supposed to be on it or something, because I found the one pretty easy. It's kind of disappointing to know that there's not another one on there, I was hoping one was and that it was an easter egg and someone would say how to get to it. Oh well, the one will do.

By the way, why do they even have easter eggs on DVD's? I think they kind of suck. Some people don't even know about them. It would just be easier to have them accessable from the main menu.

movies35 07-18-2003 01:00 PM

**Spoilers**

May, is one hell of a film. It's not a movie with a twist ending, not a mind fuck, or whatever. It's just a great film.

Angela Bettis (May) was perfect for the part. I doubt many other people could have pulled the role of as well as she did. The charector had so many emotions, it must have been really hard to put it all on film.

Jeremy Sisto (Adam) was one mean fuck in this movie. He shouldn't have just left May like that, and he was one of the reasons I felt so bad for her until the closing credits. He did a really good job with the role---but he would have been better. I felt really bad when May was going to visit him, and she caught him talking about her. :(

Anna Faris (Polly) did an AWESOME job with the part. I was talking to a schmoe last night, saying how she was just alright. But after I thinked about it, she was just excelent as the part. She was pretty funny in it (Shut up you hooker! May, you know your always gonna be my main momma! I'm not scared, I know you wouldn't hurt me May.) She was a real "doll" in the movie.

The gore wasn't over the top. It wasn't really gross, and it seemed like there was a lot more gore when I saw it in the theaters, but oh well. The body of parts was very cool indeed. But whenever there was something even a tiny bit gory, my little brother would go "eww" and kind of ruin it.

I really loved this movie, I can't stop talking about it. And I can't stop saying quotes from it. Most of the quotes were from Anna Faris' charector, but some from May's as well

9.5/10 or A

"Aww, you crazy bitch."
"Do you like pussy---------cats?"
"Come here my little puss, puss."

PorcheRacer 07-18-2003 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by movies35
**Spoilers**

Jeremy Sisto (Adam) was one mean fuck in this movie. He shouldn't have just left May like that, and he was one of the reasons I felt so bad for her until the closing credits. He did a really good job with the role---but he would have been better. I felt really bad when May was going to visit him, and she caught him talking about her. :(

Umm...how was he a mean fuck? He did exactly what I would have done in that situation.

movies35 07-18-2003 01:52 PM

Quote:

Umm...how was he a mean fuck? He did exactly what I would have done in that situation.
It's MY opinion. Sorry for expressing it. ;)

PorcheRacer 07-18-2003 03:02 PM

Quote:

It's MY opinion. Sorry for expressing it. ;)
OK, so what your saying is that if you hooked up with May and discovered she was a complete psycho you would stay with her??

movies35 07-18-2003 03:08 PM

Quote:

OK, so what your saying is that if you hooked up with May and discovered she was a complete psycho you would stay with her??
Well, she wasn't really a "psycho." She just wanted a friend, and was a little weird. I wouldn't call her a "psycho", but thats just me.

PorcheRacer 07-18-2003 03:40 PM

Quote:

Well, she wasn't really a "psycho." She just wanted a friend, and was a little weird. I wouldn't call her a "psycho", but thats just me.
SPOILERS!!!!

How could you NOT find her psychotic?!??!?! She KILLED people and cut off there body parts to make a friend!! That is psychotic behavior...not weird behavior.

flowrchild 07-18-2003 03:44 PM

***Spoilers****

Quote:

I felt really bad when May was going to visit him, and she caught him talking about her. :(

Visting is what you do when someone likes you and you swing by to see them. When someone thinks you're a crazy psycho and they want nothing to do with you and you show up at their front door (again), that's stalking.

I honestly think that Adam was MUCH nicer to her than 99% of guys would be. He would make small-talk with her and be cordial to her, even after he knew she had serious issues. I think that is a huge reason why I disliked May by the end of the movie. She was killing people that were fairly kind to her and did not deserve to die. In fact, I can't think of one person she killed who was outright awful to her and deserved that fate. It's hard to care about a protaganist who is more crazy and vicious than the people she kills.

badberry 07-18-2003 06:32 PM

Quote:

Yeah....I woulda got the fuck out of there as soon as possible! If anything, he was nicer than could be expected...he didn't angrily tell her off or smack her or anything. And yeah, no doubt she's a psycho.

Mike 07-18-2003 06:57 PM

Quote:

******SPOILERS******

He wasn't exactly a "mean fuck," but I thought he was a prick. I didn't give a damn about him, and could care less if he died. In fact, I would have been disappointed if he wouldn't have. He did act like an ass to her. And I felt bad for her when she stopped by and they were making fun of her too. He didn't have to talk about her to everyone behind her back.

Quote:

SPOILERS!!!!

How could you NOT find her psychotic?!??!?! She KILLED people and cut off there body parts to make a friend!! That is psychotic behavior...not weird behavior.

I wouldn't call her a "psycho." If I would have been in her situation, I might have done the same thing. All she wanted was a friend. It's not her fault, it all goes back to childhood and her being rejected by everyone. Things could have been different, but people are such ass holes and don't realise what they do to people. If she would have had a friend, a good friend, then she wouldn't have killed everyone. But society rejected her... Being alone can make a person do things that other people might not understand. You guys can go and judge her, yet you don't know how she felt, what it was like in her shoes. If everyone rejected you and you didn't have anyone, who knows how you might react.

Porche, she didn't kill anyone until towards the end. You replied to movies35 saying if you were in Adam's situation you would have done the same thing, yet she didn't even kill anyone yet when she was with him so why would you think of her as a psycho?

She started going a little crazy towards the end, but she didn't start out that way. She was a regular person just like you or me.

Other than Polly, everyone she killed pretty much deserved it for the most part, or were at least asking for it.

*******END SPOILERS*******

SteveSzyk 07-18-2003 08:30 PM

SPOILERS

Question... Polly deserved to die less than Adam? How so? Adam did everything to just be her friend - you can't expect the guy to want to stay with her as people have already stated.

Polly said she loved her (Well, kinda), and May 'trusted' her, but she was screwing millions of other girls. I didn't see any genuine feelings from Polly towards May. Polly deserved to die most if you ask me. I know you love Faris Mike, but lets not be so biased. ;)

Horror whore 07-18-2003 09:01 PM

Oops, I've just spoiled the movie for myself with some of these posts. I didn't even notice the spoiler warnings. Oh well, I probably would've known anyway before they died in the movie.

But there is something that bothers me.... A cat dies??!? I hate violence towards cats in movies, it's really the only animal violence that bothers me in the movies.

I now have some serious reservations about seeing this movie.

Mike 07-18-2003 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by SteveSzyk
SPOILERS

Question... Polly deserved to die less than Adam? How so? Adam did everything to just be her friend - you can't expect the guy to want to stay with her as people have already stated.

Polly said she loved her (Well, kinda), and May 'trusted' her, but she was screwing millions of other girls. I didn't see any genuine feelings from Polly towards May. Polly deserved to die most if you ask me. I know you love Farris Mike, but lets not be so biased. ;)

************SPOILERS************

I'm not being biased. Polly was sweet and she did care about May, however, she wasn't the kind of girl to have a monogamous relationship. She didn't mean to hurt May, they never even talked about what kind of a relationship they had and if they could still see other people. Polly even offered to throw out the other girl when May showed up, and she told May "You know you're my main mama." She was a very sweet girl, she just didn't settle down with only one person. But she still cared about May. She never said anything bad about May like Adam did. Polly even still called May after that wondering where she had been when she missed work for two days. And she was nice to her and hanged with her for awhile after that. Polly wasn't a bitch or anything at all. If Anna Faris had played a bitch, I'd say she was a bitch. I love Anna Faris, but if she plays a bitch, I have no problem admitting it. I personally didn't see Polly as a bitch. And Polly wasn't screwing "millions of other girls" that we know of, we only see the one other girl that she kept hanging with.

And about people saying May was psychotic:

Adam went and made that cannibal video, and showed it to her. She had never had a relationship before, and didn't know how things were supposed to happen or how you're supposed to act. She thought his cannibal video was an indication of what he was "into." So then she bit his lip, causing it to bleed. It doesn't make her crazy, she just wasn't used to dating or hanging out with anyone, and just wanted to please him, because she thought that's what he wanted.

So then Adam went and dumped her and proceeded to make fun of her behind her back, calling her a psycho, nutcase, etc... He even said the washing machine at the laundromat didn't work just so he could avoid her, when in fact, it did work. Yet then that one day he came up to her in the park when she was reading about amputation and started talking to her. What the hell was his problem? Was he trying to give her mixed signals? If he wanted to get away from her so bad, and she was leaving him alone, then why would he go and mess with her head by all of a sudden starting to talk to her again?

Mike 07-18-2003 09:11 PM

**********SPOILERS**********

Quote:

Oops, I've just spoiled the movie for myself with some of these posts. I didn't even notice the spoiler warnings. Oh well, I probably would've known anyway before they died in the movie.

But there is something that bothers me.... A cat dies??!? I hate violence towards cats in movies, it's really the only animal violence that bothers me in the movies.

I love animals and hate animal violence in movies. It usually really bothers me. But in this movie, the scene isn't that bad. Not as bad as you're probably expecting. The scene is really quick, and we don't really see it killed, it kind of happens offscreen. We see before it dies and then once it's already dead. It wasn't tortured or anything. Besides, it wasn't real, it was just fake. It even said during the end credits that "no animals were harmed during the making of this film." ;)

I get easily bothered by animal deaths in movies, but I wasn't that bothered by this. It happened pretty quick, and just didn't affect me. I was bothered by the cat being put in the oven in Apt. Pupil, the cat being put in the microwave in American Psycho 2, and the cat being slammed against a tree in Black Circle Boys, hell, even the part with the cat in Eight Legged Freaks that most found "funny." But this just wasn't all that bad.

movies35 07-18-2003 09:15 PM

Quote:

**SPOILERS**

Yes, a cat dies.

May threw an ashtray a little blind girl made her at a cat, and made it die. It's not graphic or anything. You hear it break, and see some blood on the toilet. And in other scenes you see the cat frozen in the freezer, and laying dead in the bathtub.

badberry 07-18-2003 09:18 PM

YET MORE SPOILERS...

Mike Mike Mike......

Adam was not a prick at all. He actually tried to reach out to May despite her wierdness...most people would've been freaked out by the coffee shop incident at the beginning...I would've. But biting someones lip, making it bleed and then rubbing the blood on yourself is a bit too much for anybody. If she can't realize that the video is fake and that he wouldn't want to actually do that, then shes not the kind of girl anybody wants to be around. Him leaving was perfectly normal.....and as for talking about her behind her back and avoiding her, that's pretty understandable as well. She just made him uncomfortable, but he wasn't trying to hurt her. He could've told her to 'fuck off' instead of pretending the machine was broken. And talking to her in the park was an attempt on his part to 'let her down easy' so to speak and make sure she knew the relationship was over and let her know there were no hard feelings. This is more than many would've done. He was still hoping for them to be friends.

I'm disturbed that you actually think he and the others May killed 'deserved to die'. They were innocents...there are far worse people in the world that deserve death a lot more than a few people who happen to have perfect body parts. There was no good reason for them to be killed. Face it, May was a psycho and there is no excuse for what she did. Yes her character deserves sympathy but the minute you kill someone, thats pretty much gone. And I'm also a little frightened that you said you might do the same thing....eep. :confused:

badberry 07-18-2003 09:21 PM

By the way, does anyone know who the actress that played Adam's girlfriend near the end is? She's really cute and looks familiar from somewhere.

movies35 07-18-2003 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by badberry
YET MORE SPOILERS...
I'm disturbed that you actually think he and the others May killed 'deserved to die'. They were innocents...there are far worse people in the world that deserve death a lot more than a few people who happen to have perfect body parts. There was no good reason for them to be killed. Face it, May was a psycho and there is no excuse for what she did. Yes her character deserves sympathy but the minute you kill someone, thats pretty much gone. And I'm also a little frightened that you said you might do the same thing....eep. :confused:

Your disturbed? It's a fucking movie! Who cares if someone feels someone should die? It's a work of FICTION.

And I think he meant if he was treated that way his whole life, he might feel the urge to do something like that.