Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums

Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums (http://www.joblo.com/forums/index.php)
-   Celeb-O-Meter (http://www.joblo.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Barbara Stanwyck (http://www.joblo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62077)

Hannibal21 09-10-2003 03:00 PM

Barbara Stanwyck

http://i.imdb.com/Photos/Mptv/1046/0749-0626.jpg

To put it in the simplest way possible: I LOVE Barbara Stanwyck. She's strangely attractive and I have always had a thing for older beauties like her; she can play the mean and take charge girl very well, but also have a soft side to her. She can be very funny, and can also break your heart. A diverse and extremely talented performer she is; her performances in Meet John Doe, The Lady Eve, Stella Dallas and especially Double Indemnity put her at the top along with many other great, great actresses.

BakeTheMooCow 09-10-2003 03:42 PM

I had no idea who she was, so I looked up some more pictures of her.. and wow, she is one ugly broad.

Giselle 09-11-2003 02:14 AM

Yay

Not attracted to her in any way but really liked her in Double Indemnity.

Trinity 09-13-2003 02:48 AM

I don't think I've seen a single one of her movies, but I've heard so much praise for her (on other boards) that I became quite interested. I really want to see "Double Indemnity" and "Sorry, Wrong Number" - the only problem is there are so many films I have to see I just don't seem to get around to these two. But in the next coupla months for sure. I'll let you know how I like Stanwyck then.

Hannibal21 09-13-2003 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Trinity
I don't think I've seen a single one of her movies, but I've heard so much praise for her (on other boards) that I became quite interested. I really want to see "Double Indemnity" and "Sorry, Wrong Number" - the only problem is there are so many films I have to see I just don't seem to get around to these two. But in the next coupla months for sure. I'll let you know how I like Stanwyck then.
Cool. I'd like to hear your thoughts on her after you watch some of her movies. :) Meet John Doe, Titanic, Stella Dallas, The Lady Eve are also great ones to watch, along with Double Indemnity and Sorry, Wrong Number.

Trinity 12-12-2003 02:42 PM

Well, Han, I promised to tell you how I liked Barbara, so here I am...

To put it simply - she is absolutely sensational! I loved her in Double Indemnity, This is My Affair and most of all in Ball of Fire (I've seen some others too but can't remember the titles right now). She was hilarious in "Ball of Fire" and SOOOO sexy too! (the whole movie was an absolute blast). So, basically - a phenomenal actress and VERY attractive woman, I'm definitely looking forward to seeing more of her movies.

Hannibal21 12-13-2003 03:09 AM

I'm glad to hear that, Trinity. :) I agree, wholeheartedly.

I mean, does anyone NOT like her as an actress? To me, she just one of the best that ever lived. She can make things very funny and romantic, she can be simply cold and cruel, and she can just break your heart emotional wise. What a diverse, talented actress and a TRUE Hollywood beauty. I just LOOOOOOOOVVVVVVVEEEEEEE her! :cool:

Trinity 01-09-2004 04:56 AM

A few more thoughts on Barbara (i.e. the films I've seen recently).

Yesterday I watched "Meet John Doe" and she was absolutely brilliant (and she talked so damn fast I could hardly keep up with her, lol)... I've been reading up on her a bit and from her bio it's easy to understand why she excelled at playing these tough, ambitious women roles, because she was very much a go-getter in real life too and would settle for nothing but the best. Speaking of her life, I was surprised to read she was married (for 12 years) to Robert Taylor who, to me at least, seems like such a wuss compared to Barbara.

I've also seen recently: Executive Suite (dull movie, but she was the highlight), Clash by Night (excellent drama, and a great performance from Barbara), The Two Mrs. Carrolls (this one was a little weird, but I liked it; both she and Bogart were excellent in it). And continuing my Stanwyck marathon, I've ordered DVDs of "The Strange Love of Martha Ivers" - heard some good things about this one, and "Lady of Burlesque" - I don't know what this one is like, but loved her the other time she played a burlesque lady (Ball of Fire), so I thought I'd check it out (Hannibal, have you seen these? If, so what'd you think of them?). Anyway, I should get those two in a couple of weeks, and after that I hope to find "Stella Dallas" and "The Lady Eve." Really looking forward to all of those. :)

Indiana Sev 01-09-2004 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Trinity
Yesterday I watched "Meet John Doe" a great performance from Barbara),
Agreed, I saw Meet John Doe for the first time a couple of weeks back and although I thought the movie wasn't that great (a tad overlong) Barbara was superb in it.

The Lady Eve is a true screwball comedy classic and it's a all due to her (and the great Henry Fonda as well). She's not only stunning in it but showcases her wonderful comedic talents as well. I really got to buy it one of these days (I used to own it on tape).

Double Indemnity is her tour de force and put her in the category of one the all-time best femme fatales in film history (although, I preferred Lana Turner in The Postman Always Rings Twice).

Also got to get around to renting Ball of Fire, I've been wanting to see it forever.

Barbara's great. Yay!

Hannibal21 01-09-2004 05:26 AM

I'm glad to hear the love you have for Babs and her movies, Trinity. :)

I loved all the ones you've mentioned......well, I haven't seen The Strange Love of Martha Ivers or Lady of Burlesque (it's nearly impossible to find them at my locations in China or America :( ). I'm really glad you liked Meet John Doe; that film also proved to me that Barbara Stanwyck really had a thing with delivering dialogue. I agree about her talking very fast in that film, but t'wasn't annoying at all, her character really came through and the way she delivered her lines always made her stay ahead of the game. And of course, her and Gary Cooper shined together in that movie as well (they do make a great team actually, Ball of Fire was excellent and so were they, I agree completely with your review for that film, one of the very best feel good romantic comedies). :)

Her work in suspense really works too. Aside from Double Indemnity (nothing will ever top that IMO).....I also adored The Two Mrs. Carrolls. Weird movie, yes. But it's drama and suspense were both involving and created a great atmosphere, Humphrey Bogart, needless to say, was EXCELLENT as well. I remember the first time I saw it, it actually scared me a bit, much more so than some of the usual, run-of-the-mill mystery flicks. For another one of Barbara Stanwyck's great works in suspense, there's Sorry, Wrong Number.....are you planning on checking out this film soon, Trinity? :) I find that in films, this lady ALWAYS manages to steal scenes from her male co-stars, which really turns me on. She's sexy, funny, vibrant, in whatever film she does.

The Lady Eve was another great one. My second Barbara Stanwyck performance/film after Double Indemnity; once again, she played sort of a tough but at the same time, sexy chick who, if you really looked closer and understand more, has such a vulnerable side to her as well. It also includes one of the sexiest scenes in film cinema, involving her and Henry Fonda (speaking of which, worked quite well with Babs, and that scene when he first meets The Lady Eve was memorable). Stella Dallas is in my top 5 Barbara Stanwyck movies as well; I cry every time I see that film (I'm such a loser :( ), it gives you a look at the more sympathetic side of Babs and every emotion conveyed by her in that movie was perfection. A definitive tearjerker and Babs was one of the main strengths of that film.

Like I told you, this woman can do NO wrong. Even in her worst movies, she manages to rise above the material; where does she stand on your top actresses list, Trinity?

Trinity 01-09-2004 05:58 AM

Quote:

I agree about her talking very fast in that film, but t'wasn't annoying at all.
I didn't find it annoying at all either, I loved the way she talked. But I can see how it could be annoying for some. My dad watched the movie with me, and he came in right at the part when Barbara is explaining to her boss about the whole John Doe idea and she's shooting out like 200 words a minute and he was like "Will this woman ever shut up?" He actually said it a few more times during the movie...:p

Quote:

I also adored The Two Mrs. Carrolls. I remember the first time I saw it, it actually scared me a bit.
Lol, me too. I was channel surfing one time and on TCM I saw just that scene when she faints in front of the painting. I immedaitely wanted to see the whole thing, and when it came on again some weeks later I did, but that actually turned out to be the best part.

And yes, I do plan to check out "Sorry, Wrong Number" sometime (hopefully soon) - the DVD's pretty cheap, so I'll probably get it. Thing is, I have like a million and one things to get first (top priority being "Rebecca" on Criterion) and only limited resources. :(

As for where I'd have her among my favorite actresses - I need to see more of her work, but very, VERY high!

Trinity 01-09-2004 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Indiana Sev
I preferred Lana Turner in The Postman Always Rings Twice.
That's the only performance from Lana that I REALLY like. There are some other good ones, but I just seem to have some problem with her that keeps me from enjoying her work.

jeo4 01-09-2004 09:56 AM

This woman is a class act. She was sensational in SORRY, WRONG NUMBER, among so many others. I remember seeing her in MEET JOHN DOE on one of those afternoon rerun shows, and she was just sensational. She has true talent in every sense of the word. YAY from me.

Tagia_Romero 01-12-2004 03:56 AM

YAY! Unconventionally beautiful yet her talent makes up for it all. No I don't find her ugly, NEVER at all. But it is the characters she fleshes out that truly deserves respect.

Boba Joe 01-16-2004 09:26 PM

She's one of the all time best.
How could I say anything else but...
Yay?!

Hannibal21 02-17-2006 09:58 AM

BUMP

Tagia_Romero 02-17-2006 01:59 PM

Love her. I don't find she's 'strangely attractive' at all because she has her own look just like any other woman.

SAI 02-17-2006 02:07 PM

Sorry. I do usualy do a search before starting a new thread and of course the time i forget...

Hannibal21 02-17-2006 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Tagia_Romero
Love her. I don't find she's 'strangely attractive' at all because she has her own look just like any other woman.
Over time, I have grown to appreciate her looks even more as well as her acting. Now I find her to be one of the true Hollywood beauties. I mean, how desirable was she in 'The Lady Eve' and 'Double Indemnity'?! Wow!

Tagia_Romero 02-17-2006 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Hannibal21
Over time, I have grown to appreciate her looks even more as well as her acting. Now I find her to be one of the true Hollywood beauties. I mean, how desirable was she in 'The Lady Eve' and 'Double Indemnity'?! Wow!
http://www.doctormacro.com/Images/Stanwyck,%20Barbara/Stanwyck,%20Barbara%20(Lady%20of%20Burlesque)_01.j pg