Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums

Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums (http://www.joblo.com/forums/index.php)
-   Books/Comics (http://www.joblo.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Your Favorite R.L. Stine Books (http://www.joblo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71644)

darchangel 02-16-2004 06:48 PM

Your Favorite R.L. Stine Books

god, it's been AGES since i've thought about these books, but i just thought i'd ask you schmoes about your favorites of these books, giving a good throwback to my younger year....sigh....

my faves were:

The Fear Street Saga Trilogy

Blind Date

Curtains

Ski Weekend

how about yours?

Death to Beth

~darchangel~

SubMethod 02-16-2004 08:15 PM

Goosebumps was the best. I read so many of those. My favorites were the one with the killer potato thing, the ventriloquist doll, and they one with the shrunken head too. I'm sure I'm forgeting a bunch I can't remember all the ones I read.

Dignan 02-17-2004 07:42 PM

I liked Monster Blood sub series, How to Kill a Monster, and handful of other Goosebumps books. Those two stories standout the most right now though.

Cottonmouth 02-19-2004 06:19 PM

I can't remember one in particular, but I really love those "choose your own ending" books

X-Nightcrawler 02-19-2004 07:14 PM

Both werewolf tales:
-Night In Werewolf Woods (?) of the "Choose your path" series.
-Wolf Of Fever Swamp.

I loved.

Batgirl1979 02-20-2004 01:17 AM

Never really got into Stine but I loved Christopher Pike. My favourite of his being The Last Vampire series,Whispers of death and seasons of passage.
I had a thread awhile ago about both these authors which got about fifty responses you can check it out if you want:

http://www.joblo.com/forums/showthre...her+pike+books

Luke-Abbott 03-03-2004 02:42 PM

Man, I've still got some of the Goosebumps books. My favourite "Goosebump" stories were his "Night of the Living Dummy" series. I think it was R. L. Stine who got me into reading when I was a kid, actually.

I don't read them now but I keep them, who knows maybe my young 'un's will take a fancy to them.

jackson13 03-03-2004 07:39 PM

Goosebumps. Each and every single one of them. In fact, today, I was going through stuff to put in a garage sale this weekend, and I found my entire collection: Every single Goosebump book he ever put out, also including Beast 1 & 2. I have them out in the garage for the sale, but im thinking I might hang on to them, that way I can share them with a future child of mine and properly turn them on to the world of horror, since Goosebumps did it for me.

If you wanna check out another good R.L. book, check out his newest one. The Sitter. Its an adult novel, and pretty much a whole nother side of him I'd never seen before. Its really a good read.

p1phillips 03-04-2004 10:32 AM

I was totally into R.L. Stine when I was younger, but I read the Fear Street books....by the time Goosebumps came out, I was already about 13 or 14 at least, and they were a little too pre-teen for me. If you can find it, I'd recommend reading a book he did called Fear Hall: The Beginning. It's got a great twist at the end.

I've heard about The Sitter. I've been searching for it for a few months, but haven't had any luck. I read Superstitious, the first adult novel he did, and it was an entertaining read, if dumb. Now that he's not pumping out two books a month, he can probably spend longer on developing stronger work. Perhaps he could fill the void left by Richard Laymon (Superstitious reminded me in places of Laymon's work).

ERIN_LoJ 05-10-2004 09:02 PM

Oh man it's been YEARS!!!

But until one year I had read almost all his books

Is he still writing??

I loved how his chapters ended with something interesting every time

Ski Weekend was good, forgot about that one
The fear street series was also good but Im afraid my memory is escaping me

Pike was my favorite by far though, excellent

Mr. Fred Krueger 05-10-2004 09:31 PM

Goosebumps was the shit.

I also really liked Wrong Number and Wrong Number 2.

Superstitious was atrocious though. I understand he was trying to write an adult novel, but damn he went overboard. I don't think he goes two pages without someone thinking about explicit sex.

quoth_the_raven 05-11-2004 10:51 AM

I started reading Stephen King and Dean Koontz when i was 11, so RL Stine just never tickled me...he was ok at what he did, but it just wasn't right for me...

Nerdypagan 05-13-2004 03:15 PM

Been along time since I read any thing from him. My favorite was the Fear Street Seniors Series. There was twelve books in the series and the whole class was dying in various ways. The only problems were that the body count was too low and the only people who ever seemed to die were the one's I liked. (spoilers)

Phoebe Yamura was my favorite character and she was the only one that died in the last book. They didn't even explain her death. She was just found hanging from the flag pole.
I also like Debra Lake. I thought she would have been killed by Clark though. Marla Newman and Ty were also cool.

The series was neat because one book may show a character as the likeable one but then you read from another POV and take the other person's side.

Jess 05-14-2004 12:36 PM

It was all Goosebumps for me, back in the day. Yet unfortunately, my mother seemed to believe that by the books (and I had quite a few) being in my room, well, she thought they were the cause of some nightmares I had, even if I hadn't been reading them. So she chucked them all out. No big loss for me because she tossed away her money. Whatever.

Anyway, my favorite of all the Goosebumps I had read was the one about the kid who didn't like to eat liver and had ghost dogs running around outside and then he turned into a ghost dog somehow and the ghost dog turned into him, and it liked liver. I forget what it's called but it freaked me out. Damn ghost dogs and their ghost dogish ways.

Could Be Worse 05-16-2004 02:40 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Nerdypagan
Been along time since I read any thing from him. My favorite was the Fear Street Seniors Series. There was twelve books in the series and the whole class was dying in various ways. The only problems were that the body count was too low and the only people who ever seemed to die were the one's I liked. (spoilers)

Phoebe Yamura was my favorite character and she was the only one that died in the last book. They didn't even explain her death. She was just found hanging from the flag pole.
I also like Debra Lake. I thought she would have been killed by Clark though. Marla Newman and Ty were also cool.

I thought I was the only one who read Seniors. I really liked it too, and was pissed when Phoebe died too. But Kenny died in book 12 too (kind of).

Anyway, I also liekd the Babysitter series (except for book 4, which had to bring the supernatural into it....damn you Stine.)

Moosem216 05-16-2004 06:30 PM

I grew up reading Goosebumps, I have to vote for those. If I had to vote for just one favorite it would be The Werewolf of Fever Swamp. Never sure why, I just had a thing for the number fourteen and werewolves, and the combination worked here.

EvilDeadGirl 05-17-2004 03:09 PM

Fear Street Saga! Omg that stuff ruled! I think I still have some of those books lying around somewhere. I should dig em up.

New Years Eve was pretty kewlerz.

X-Nightcrawler 07-01-2004 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Moosem216
I grew up reading Goosebumps, I have to vote for those. If I had to vote for just one favorite it would be The Werewolf of Fever Swamp. Never sure why, I just had a thing for the number fourteen and werewolves, and the combination worked here.
*high five*

A.J. Hakari 07-02-2004 01:58 PM

The Goosebumps book "Egg Monsters from Mars." So completely ridiculous, it was fun. :cool:

Kidsilk 07-02-2004 07:04 PM

I also grew up reading Goosebumps. I collected them all until about #45 or so. I always remember "Night of the Living Dummy." That was pretty creepy.

teenkiller 07-04-2007 07:55 PM

I used to really be in to Stine's Fear Street stories. My favorites were usually the super chillers. Broken Hearts, The Betrayal, The Secret, The Burning, Party Summer, and the first two Silent Night, Deadly Nights were my favorites. After a while the series really started to get old though. Or maybe I was the one getting old... Well thats all for now GOoD JOURNEY my fellow schmoes.

pablo_super1! 07-04-2007 08:28 PM

I always loved RL Stine Books til I got into Stephen King Bu I always loved 2 books

My all Time Favorite

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i2..._topo/2323.jpg

and my second favorite

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i2..._topo/73_8.jpg
I still have a huge collection in a box somewhere in our basement of goosebumps and fear street books