Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums

Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums (http://www.joblo.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.joblo.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Official NBA Discussion Thread (http://www.joblo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84477)

KingofKings2525 01-26-2009 10:29 AM

It's all about Championships... maybe if Phoenix would have gone on to win a ring your points would be valid.. but they didn't so they're not.

Darth Kenshin 01-26-2009 11:51 AM

Stephon Marbury says he has a verbal agreement with the Celtics.

I'm not completely up to speed on NBA labor issues, but how isn't that tampering?

Anyway, it's obvious Boston needed to do something, as they don't have the same fire as last year, particularly because of a lack depth. I'm not sure if Marbury is the answer, but I like when teams roll the dice and take a chance (which is why I defend Steve Kerr) so I think it's a good idea to gamble on Steph. As long as Doc doesn't let Steph walk all over hiim, he won't be a distraction. And let's not forget, the guy is a very talented player. Definitely worth the risk, if it happens.

jaw2929 01-26-2009 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingofKings2525 (Post 2960479)
It's all about Championships... maybe if Phoenix would have gone on to win a ring your points would be valid.. but they didn't so they're not.

Is it? You didn't happen to mention that when you made your incorrect statement that the Lakers have NEVER been the Suns' bitch. Because they have, regardless of how many Championships they've won.

Even if Phoenix did have a Championship or three, my point would never be valid to you.

KingofKings2525 01-26-2009 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darth Kenshin (Post 2960551)
I'm not completely up to speed on NBA labor issues, but how isn't that tampering?

Didn't they give the Celts and Heat permission to talk to him in December?

Trail Blazer - You're point will never be valid to me because it's wrong. I'm basing it off of winning championships and overall record against eachother. The Sun's beating them 4 times in the post season is really nothing to boast about ESPECIALLY because two of those times they had to go to 7 games to beat them... I'm sorry but beating a team in 7 games does not make that team their "bitch", it actually means they're pretty evenly matched.

KingofKings2525 01-26-2009 01:27 PM

Lakers vs. Suns

Regular Season (All-Time)
Lakers 118 - Suns 86

Playoffs (All-Time)
Lakers 34 - Suns 22

Lakers vs. Suns All-Time Playoffs Series:
2007 Western Conference 1st Rd L.A. Lakers 1 - 4 Phoenix Suns
2006 Western Conference 1st Rd L.A. Lakers 3 - 4 Phoenix Suns
1900 Western Conference Semis L.A. Lakers 4 - 1 Phoenix Suns
1993 Western Conference 1st Rd L.A. Lakers 2 - 3 Phoenix Suns
1990 Western Conference Semis L.A. Lakers 1 - 4 Phoenix Suns
1989 Western Conference Finals L.A. Lakers 4 - 0 Phoenix Suns
1985 Western Conference 1st Rd L.A. Lakers 3 - 0 Phoenix Suns
1984 Western Conference Finals L.A. Lakers 4 - 2 Phoenix Suns
1982 Western Conference Semis L.A. Lakers 4 - 0 Phoenix Suns
1980 Western Conference Semis L.A. Lakers 4 - 1 Phoenix Suns
1970 Western Division Semis L.A. Lakers 4 - 3 Phoenix Suns

The Suns have beat the Lakers... that's a given but they've NEVER made the Lakeshow their "Bitch" like the Lakers have continually made them since 1970.

jaw2929 01-26-2009 01:36 PM

Right, but Phoenix has won in 5 games as well, vs. LA.

I've already conceded that the Lakers have beaten Phoenix more times, overall. But you should not have used the word "never", when making such a statement. You were wrong.

Criminal Rock 01-26-2009 02:51 PM

The Suns have always struggled against the Lakers, there's no question, and there are times where they have made the Suns their bitch (this season especially). But to say that the Suns "never" made the Lakers theirs is to suggest that we've never won a game against them, which is bogus and completely ignorant to suggest. Unless your definition of "bitch" is something other than the losing team, which wouldn't make sense anyways.

Your words are self-contradicting and that's what we're pointing out. You cannot say "never" and forget about the past, which is what you did. I mean, If you were talking about this season I would have agreed with you, but that's not at all what you said.

Darth Kenshin 01-26-2009 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingofKings2525 (Post 2960647)
Didn't they give the Celts and Heat permission to talk to him in December?

I see... I wasn't aware of that. I just assumed something like that could have an impact on buyout negotiations, so it wouldn't be allowed. But I guess if they gave them explicit permission, then it's fine.

Now the question is, if they gave the Celtics permission, and Marbury is willing to be bought out at a discount, what's the hold up? Marbury seems to think either it's personal, or because they don't want him to play for another Eastern conference team (understandable, not because he's great or anything, but because frequent matchups could cause media circuses and distractions). If the Knicks really have no problem with Marbury being a Celtic, I would expect them to buy him out right after the Knicks play Boston for the last time this year (Feb 6).

countchocula 01-26-2009 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingofKings2525 (Post 2960664)
Lakers vs. Suns

Regular Season (All-Time)
Lakers 118 - Suns 86

Playoffs (All-Time)
Lakers 34 - Suns 22

Lakers vs. Suns All-Time Playoffs Series:
2006 Western Conference 1st Rd L.A. Lakers 3 - 4 Phoenix Suns
1900 Western Conference Semis L.A. Lakers 4 - 1 Phoenix Suns
1993 Western Conference 1st Rd L.A. Lakers 2 - 3 Phoenix Suns
1990 Western Conference Semis L.A. Lakers 1 - 4 Phoenix Suns
1989 Western Conference Finals L.A. Lakers 4 - 0 Phoenix Suns
1985 Western Conference 1st Rd L.A. Lakers 3 - 0 Phoenix Suns
1984 Western Conference Finals L.A. Lakers 4 - 2 Phoenix Suns
1982 Western Conference Semis L.A. Lakers 4 - 0 Phoenix Suns
1980 Western Conference Semis L.A. Lakers 4 - 1 Phoenix Suns
1970 Western Division Semis L.A. Lakers 4 - 3 Phoenix Suns

The Suns have beat the Lakers... that's a given but they've NEVER made the Lakeshow their "Bitch" like the Lakers have continually made them since 1970.

You NEED to be right, don't you?

Criminal Rock 01-26-2009 03:48 PM

I his own bubble, yes..

KingofKings2525 01-26-2009 04:31 PM

Sorry... I provided facts, not just an incorrect opinion like some schmoes here. It's not my fault some of you in here can't stand it when I'm 100% factually right.

Ahem. The Lakers have NEVER been the Suns Bitch - Fact and opinion... god it feels good being right.

jaw2929 01-26-2009 04:55 PM

If a team eliminates another team in a post-season series, the losing team has then become the winning team's bitch. Especially in 2007 as YOU pointed out:

Get rid of the word "never". It's not true.

KingofKings2525 01-26-2009 06:06 PM

Lost cause. You don't get it.

countchocula 01-26-2009 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingofKings2525 (Post 2960881)
Sorry... I provided facts, not just an incorrect opinion like some schmoes here. It's not my fault some of you in here can't stand it when I'm 100% factually right.

Ahem. The Lakers have NEVER been the Suns Bitch - Fact and opinion... god it feels good being right.

It's not what you're saying, dude; it's how you're saying it. And the last time I checked, the Suns and the Lakers have won the same amount of championships in the past few years. The past doesn't mean much to active players and coaches. It shouldn't matter much to the fans.

KingofKings2525 01-26-2009 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trail_Blazer (Post 2960915)
If a team eliminates another team in a post-season series, the losing team has then become the winning team's bitch. Especially in 2007 as YOU pointed out:

Get rid of the word "never". It's not true.

That's like saying the kid who flunks out of school but goes back to get a G.E.D. is a great student and bought all the bad grades back.

The Suns are the Lakers bitch because they consistantly struggle against them. FACT.

Whatever, I'm over it. I try to have discussions but some of you are not capable because you hate the fact that I love the Lakers.

RicochetShaw 01-26-2009 06:11 PM

This is getting pretty ridiculous, and stupid.

The Suns, towards the end of the D'Antoni era, had the Lakers' number in the playoffs. In the grand scheme of things, the Lakers are one of the two most storied franchises in NBA history, and have had far more success than the Suns. I think every party here will agree to those assessments. Arguing about the technical definition of "bitch" so meticulously is tiresome, so let's drop it.

Criminal Rock 01-26-2009 06:16 PM

"Facts"? More like supercilious bullshit...

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingofKings2525 (Post 2960881)

Lawlz:rolleyes:.. What the fuck are you talking about? You're not making any sense. And what I can't stand is when people like you argue their points with vagaries, generalities, oxymoron's, and self-contradictions.

The Suns have beat the Lakers both during the playoffs and during the regular season. So, if by losing to said team makes one a bitch, then by definition the Lakers fit the term for the simple FACT that they have lost to the Suns.

Do you get it now? Have I popped your bubble, or are you still trapped inside your world of self-proclaimed correctness?

probably the latter.

Criminal Rock 01-26-2009 06:26 PM

double..

jaw2929 01-26-2009 07:44 PM

Love the Lakers all you want King. That's great. I'm through arguing silly semantics with you.

Boston's won 8 in a row now, the current longest winning streak in the league. Seems like they've gotten their shit back together.

KingofKings2525 01-26-2009 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tai Mai Jew (Post 2960779)
The Suns have always struggled against the Lakers

Thank you for making my point and agreeing with me.

http://thelakersnation.com/blog/wp-c.../04/tlnsig.jpg

KingofKings2525 01-26-2009 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trail_Blazer (Post 2961181)
Love the Lakers all you want King. That's great. I'm through arguing silly semantics with you.

Boston's won 8 in a row now, the current longest winning streak in the league. Seems like they've gotten their shit back together.

Yes, they have seemed to rebound nicely from the X-mas day loss and the losses that followed but if I were you I would be worried about Powe and Big Baby wining about who's getting more minutes. I don't see why Rivers hasn't already given the minutes to Powe... from last year's post season to today he's been very productive for your squad.

jaw2929 01-26-2009 09:40 PM

Oh wow, another thing I actually agree with you on. Glen Davis is the ONE player on the Celtics I really don't care for. I think he's just a fat-shit, that really doesn't deserve any minutes, really. Fuck, put Patrick O'Bryant in as Perkins' back-up center. Also, Powe definitely deserves those minutes as well.... He was actually a big-time key to a few of those wins in last years' Playoffs.

countchocula 01-27-2009 01:26 PM

True, but he's a solid shooter. He offers a little more offense than Perkins. I agree that he's a pussy bitch, and I don't know why Powe isn't being utilized more often, but Davis is undeniably talented.

KingofKings2525 01-27-2009 01:57 PM

That's the difference between Phil's and Doc's coaching. Doc "babies" fragile players such as Big Baby where as Phil would belittle them and try to get under their skin to make them better.

Both styles are obviously currently successful but usually "players" coaches such has Doc get weeded out of professional sports. See Wade Phillips of the Dallas Cowboys, usually a players coach is not a good thing. Imagine what the Celts would be like if they have somone like Phil, Riley, Brown, D'Antoni, Daly, or Red? If your Celts had an intimidating coach I would be scared bout you don't so they are very, very beatable this year.

Darth Kenshin 01-27-2009 02:53 PM

Davis and Powe are very different. Doc shouldn't set minutes for either guy. Some matchups are beneficial for Powe, some for Davis. Regardless, neither of them are anything special. Boston needs a big man who can actually protect the basket if they want to repeat (like PJ Brown did for them last year).

jaw2929 01-27-2009 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingofKings2525 (Post 2961926)
Imagine what the Celts would be like if they have somone like Phil, Riley, Brown, D'Antoni, Daly, or Red? If your Celts had an intimidating coach I would be scared bout you don't so they are very, very beatable this year.

But Doc Rivers was Boston's coach last year. Did you forget that?

The only thing Boston's missing is a key reserve coming off the bench ala a Posey or PJ Brown. With any luck, Ainge will secure one before the trading deadline is done.

countchocula 01-27-2009 05:27 PM

Well, they better hurry the fuck up. I haven't read any trade rumors, aside from Marbury (which wouldn't be the best move).

jaw2929 01-27-2009 05:40 PM

Yeah, I hear ya. Who knows what's going to happen with the whole Stabury thing.

Though I may be in the minority here... But I think Boston's still good enough to get back to the Finals, and beat the Lakers a 2nd time, or even dispose of an aging San Antonio Spurs team this year, WITHOUT a possible key reserve.

Bourne101 01-27-2009 05:53 PM

There is no way the Spurs will beat the Lakers in a 7 game series.

And although many of you disagree, I think home court advantage is going to be big this year.

KingofKings2525 01-27-2009 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bourne101 (Post 2962171)
There is no way the Spurs will beat the Lakers in a 7 game series.

And although many of you disagree, I think home court advantage is going to be big this year.

I think it'll be huge this year as well.

Darth Kenshin 01-27-2009 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trail_Blazer (Post 2962136)
Though I may be in the minority here... But I think Boston's still good enough to get back to the Finals, and beat the Lakers a 2nd time, or even dispose of an aging San Antonio Spurs team this year, WITHOUT a possible key reserve.

I can't see them beating the Lakers without more size. LA is much bigger than they were last year, and better (Bynum is heating up, which is scary). I don't think Boston's front line is enough to handle LA's right now. Plus, they don't protect the rim that well. Even KG, as great a defender as he is, isn't much of a shot blocker. I watched Lebron finish over hiim about 15 times, and I'm not sure he was even sweating yet. The ideal player for Boston, in my opinion, would be someone like Desagna Diop. Give them some size off the bench, and a physical presence who can protect the rim. Marbury would help some things (namely, add a penetrate-and-kick scheme to their overused high-screen-and-roll, and give them some pop off the bench) but their primary need is size if they want to repeat.

jaw2929 01-27-2009 11:03 PM

I really can't argue with you Darth.... Though Perkins is no push-over, and I don't think Bynum would have THAT easy of a time against he and KG in the lineup. But you're right, Bynum IS just scratching the surface of what he's capable of, he's going to be a big force in the middle for the Lakers for a long time to come. It's good LA's management didn't deal him away.

Gasol's a fucking pussy though, and he'll get owned if they end up meeting again in the Finals, just like last year. He's a fucking over-rated bitch, IMO.

countchocula 01-28-2009 11:31 AM

Go Bobcats! I can't believe that they have won 4 of 5 against the Lakers. They actually have a shot at the playoffs.

jaw2929 01-28-2009 01:01 PM

Oh that's phenomenal. LA losing that many to fucking CHARLOTTE! LoL! Nice.

Meanwhile Boston goes for it's 9th straight win tonight vs. Sacramento. :)

Bourne101 01-28-2009 01:35 PM

Funny thing is, I remember Boston losing to "fucking" Charlotte a couple of weeks ago...

And every good team has that crappy team that somehow gets the best of them. Kind of like Boston losing to "fucking" Washington 3/4 times last year or "fucking" Golden State in 4 out of their last 6. And Boston has lost to "fucking" Charlotte in 4 of their last 8 games against them. 4 games in the exact same time period that the Lakers have lost 4 games to them.

LOL! Nice.

daddiefatsacks 01-28-2009 03:56 PM

the Lakers have lost to some soft teams this year (Pacers, Kings, bobcats) although I will give the Bobcats credit, they are a pretty good team, and that trade getting Diaw and Bell only adds to their nuclues of studs like Okafor, Felton and Wallace.

Charlotte can sneak into that 7th or 8th spot...and face Boston in the playoffs, and if they beat them i'd blow a load

ps go raptors .....man we suck

Bourne101 01-28-2009 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daddiefatsacks (Post 2962857)
the Lakers have lost to some soft teams this year (Pacers, Kings, bobcats)

As have the Celtics (Pacers, Bobcats, Warriors, Knicks).

I don't mean to get a back and forth going on, I'm just showing that even the best teams in the league can lose to some bad teams. It happens all the time.

countchocula 01-28-2009 04:18 PM

I can see Chris Bosh as a Laker. And maybe even a Celtic. It will be interesting to see where he winds up once he's a free agent.

KingofKings2525 01-28-2009 04:45 PM

Chris Bosh as a Laker is my wet dream.

daddiefatsacks 01-28-2009 06:43 PM

probably the knicks with LeBron