Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums

Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums (http://www.joblo.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.joblo.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Official NBA Discussion Thread (http://www.joblo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84477)

Brando @$$ Fat 04-22-2012 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaw2929 (Post 3545295)
I didn't see the Laker/Thunder game.... What'd Artest do anyway?

He made a good play, got excited, kinda threw an arm around when Harden approached him and clocked him on the temple. I don't think he meant it maliciously, he's just an idiot.

jaw2929 04-22-2012 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brando @$$ Fat (Post 3545297)
He made a good play, got excited, kinda threw an arm around when Harden approached him and clocked him on the temple. I don't think he meant it maliciously, he's just an idiot.

Sounds typical of him. Fuck him, a poor man's Dennis Rodman if there ever was one. He couldn't hold Rodman's jock strap IMO.

Frankenberry Reborn 04-23-2012 06:12 AM

Am I the only one who thought it looked halfway intentional?

Brando @$$ Fat 04-23-2012 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankenberry Reborn (Post 3545401)
Am I the only one who thought it looked halfway intentional?

I can definitely see how you'd think that. I've seen it a few times and every time it just looks too weird to have been intentional. Peace was in his own little world celebrating, not at all paying attention to the continued action, and just nailed Harden. Intentional or not, Peace deserves some kind of punishment. NBA players need to be aware of their bodies at all times. With ten people running around in a limited area, you can't be flailing your elbows around like you're on Glee. BTW, that expression on his face was goofy.

AceD 04-23-2012 04:14 PM

I think you guys are CRAY-ZAY. Not Ron Artest crazy, but a little crazy.

My feelings: he dunked and is excited. He pumps his fist, moves his elbow and feels someone, and at that point winds up his elbow even more and throws it back with the intent to hit. Was he aiming for the head? Did he know it was Harden? I'm not sure about either of those. And I do think Harden intentionally bumped into him (although he absolutely did not flop).

I feel like the suspension should be about five games, which would carry over into 4 playoff games. I do think he has restored his image and behaved quite a bit, but he hasn't been a model citizen recently either.

Bourne101 04-23-2012 05:15 PM

Yeah, I agree that 5 games seems about right. After reviewing it several times, I think you have it right AceD. I think it was a combo of Peace being excited and Harden intentionally bumping into him (which doesn't make what Peace did right, but was asking for trouble) combined with an intentional, but kind of aimless and blind, elbow. I think it's a very dangerous play, but I also don't think he should be suspended beyond 5 games (especially not indefinitely, like some idiots have been saying). It was just so random and weird and I don't really see it being an issue down the road.

Darth Kenshin 04-23-2012 06:28 PM

5 is the minimum, but I expect more, simply because the culture of sports seems to be shared throughout leagues.

An NHL player got suspended 25 games for a cheap shot last week. Granted, that's excessive, but all major sports are putting emphasis on player safety. I highly doubt the NHL coming down hard on violence coinciding with the NFL movement in the same direction was a coincidence. I think Artest could get 10 based on that, and possibly more.

Anyway, thoughts on the actual game:

- Westbrook was shut down. I haven't seen Kobe locked in defensively like that since the 2001 Finals where he guarded Iverson (after the Sixers won Game 1). Kobe showed 2 years ago he can slow Westbrook down for stretches, but I don't know if Kobe will take the assignment for a full 7 game series. Normally, he does what Lebron does: focus on offense, and down the stretch, take a tougher assignment. That won't work vs. the Thunder. If Kobe has the legs to D him up full-time for 7 games, and the bigs rotate and help effectively (as Hill did late), Westbrook will have trouble doing his thing.

- Durant, was NOT shut down. He was getting every look he wanted. Granted, Ebanks was covering him most of the time (gambles way too much), but if you just look at the shots he got up, you would've expected him to drop 50. He terrifies me.

- I don't understand why people say Jordan Hill "doesn't know the offense." Mike Brown's offense is about as complicated as a high school coach's. Hill must be REALLY dumb if he can't play in it yet. I hope he figures it out, though, because his activity and athleticism could be helpful off the bench. Much better than Troy Murphy waddling around.

- Sefalosha might be the best Kobe defender in the league other than Tony Allen. He's always right there with him. Kobe just hit some flat out absurd shots.

- If this is a 2nd round series, I still think the Thunder win easily. Probably 5 games. I hope I'm wrong.

jaw2929 04-23-2012 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darth Kenshin (Post 3545626)
If this is a 2nd round series, I still think the Thunder win easily. Probably 5 games. I hope I'm wrong.

I'm no Laker fan, but my first thought was "He's not giving LA enough credit". Then I remembered how they got swept last year by Dallas. And OKC this year is a better team than Dallas was last year, I think. So yeah.... I think 5 games and the Lakers go fishing while the Thunder advance to the WCF. Good call. ;)

Brando @$$ Fat 04-24-2012 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AceD (Post 3545603)
I think you guys are CRAY-ZAY. Not Ron Artest crazy, but a little crazy.

My feelings: he dunked and is excited. He pumps his fist, moves his elbow and feels someone, and at that point winds up his elbow even more and throws it back with the intent to hit. Was he aiming for the head? Did he know it was Harden? I'm not sure about either of those. And I do think Harden intentionally bumped into him (although he absolutely did not flop).

I think he acted upon a split-second instinct, an intentional one nonetheless, when he sensed someone was nearing him and just lost it while celebrating his play. I've seen the video a couple more times since and he clearly followed through with the elbow, so I've come around to your way of thinking. However, I don't think we should necessarily suspend him. Let's give him an ultimatum: quit with the phony peacemaker bullshit, change your name back to Ron Artest, embrace the role of league thug, and give us the right to shoot you with elephant tranquilizers next time you want to go on a rampage.

Anyway, back to basketball. Really looking forward to the Suns-Jazz tonight. Right now these teams are kinda like college students who never go to class but pass anyway because they drink a lot of Red Bull and do everything at the last minute. Have to give Phoenix credit for getting by, despite a tough late season schedule.

AceD 04-24-2012 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brando @$$ Fat (Post 3545891)
I think he acted upon a split-second instinct, an intentional one nonetheless, when he sensed someone was nearing him and just lost it while celebrating his play. I've seen the video a couple more times since and he clearly followed through with the elbow, so I've come around to your way of thinking. However, I don't think we should necessarily suspend him. Let's give him an ultimatum: quit with the phony peacemaker bullshit, change your name back to Ron Artest, embrace the role of league thug, and give us the right to shoot you with elephant tranquilizers next time you want to go on a rampage.

I know you're kinda joking, but obviously he has to be suspended at least 2 games given the way the league has dealt with things like this in the past. The issue is if it should be more...I think he'll get five at the minimum (especially since we haven't heard anything from the league yet) and if Stern wanted to go crazy...he'd get 15, which puts him out the first two rounds (which wouldn't matter because they have no chance at all against OKC without him).

bigred760 04-24-2012 01:43 PM

I don't care how excited he was, you can't go around elbowing opponents in the head, giving them mild concussions. AT LEAST 5 games; I'd start with an indefinite suspension, wait til Harden returns and for however long he was out, suspend Artest (or MWP) for that many more games.

I've been watching and playing basketball for a long time and this is the damnedest thing I've ever seen. Either way, Artest has a history of "troublemaking" and problems on the court, so I would hope this suspension would reflect his previous issues; he's got to start thinking before he acts. So far, he hasn't shown any signs of starting to do so.

AceD 04-24-2012 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigred760 (Post 3545899)
I don't care how excited he was, you can't go around elbowing opponents in the head, giving them mild concussions. AT LEAST 5 games; I'd start with an indefinite suspension, wait til Harden returns and for however long he was out, suspend Artest (or MWP) for that many more games.

I really don't like the indefinite suspension idea or the idea that suspensions should relate in any way to how long the other player is out. It cuts both ways: a totally inadvertant thing could knock someone out for a season while a totally malicious thing might cause no missed games at all. Artest shouldn't catch a break or be punished worse based on how badly he hurt Harden.

I do agree, though, that his past actions matter. I mean, the guy has been suspended 13 different times. If nothing had happened since the Palace brawl I'd be inclined to let history be history, but he clearly didn't learn enough from that.

Personally I still believe the taunting/wanting to fight Ibaka was the worst act of the whole ordeal, and I hope the NBA references that whenever they lay down the suspension.

Bourne101 04-24-2012 06:51 PM

Looks like it'll be 7 games.

Frankenberry Reborn 04-25-2012 03:16 PM

I'm okay with 7. L.A. shouldn't need Medda to extinguish the Nuggets. Another "incident" would call for an indefinite suspension, whether he acts out in the playoffs or next season. I'm thinking Barnes will do a sufficient job filling the hole. He's just as physical as Medda.

Congrats to Utah. Which first-round series are we looking forward to the most? Mine is unquestionably Grizz/Clips. It could go either way.

Bourne101 04-25-2012 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankenberry Reborn (Post 3546288)
Which first-round series are we looking forward to the most? Mine is unquestionably Grizz/Clips. It could go either way.

If the standings remain the same, Miami/NY could be fun.

Darth Kenshin 04-25-2012 06:20 PM

Quote:

Which first-round series are we looking forward to the most? Mine is unquestionably Grizz/Clips. It could go either way.

Wherever Dallas ends up. Lakers/Mavs or Thunder/Mavs. I always love watching Dallas play, and whoever they play against will be looking for revenge. It'll be interesting to see if Dirk has another gear (I think he does, evidenced in that Houston game that clinched a playoff berth for the Mavs).

Brando @$$ Fat 04-26-2012 12:50 PM

Quote:

Definitely. This is one of those series that could go 4-1 and still be great on a game-by-game basis. The rest of the first round isn't all that compelling. I'm interested in watching Pacers-Magic ONLY because I've always had a soft spot for the Pacers, but otherwise that series is totally uncompetitive. OKC-Dallas will be interesting for the reasons Darth just mentioned. I'm not hardcore enough to sit through four games of Spurs-Jazz, which is precisely how long that series will last.

jaw2929 04-27-2012 11:55 PM

I'm looking forward to Celtics/Hawks & Grizzlies/Clippers. I also have an interest in the OKC/Dallas & Chicago/Sixers series' as well. Should be an interesting post-season!

adamjohnson 04-28-2012 09:50 AM

Hopefully, the Thunder are as stupid this year as they were last year. Honestly, one of the dumbest basketbal-iq teams Ive ever seen play.

Bourne101 04-28-2012 05:33 PM

Damn, Rose out for the entire postseason with torn ACL. I feel bad for Chicago.

Gordon 04-28-2012 08:50 PM

Boy, the path to a championship is on a platter for Miami now. In the East: a Knicks team that can't play defense, a Howard-less Magic or Indiana (looks to be a long series so either team will be drained), and a Rose-less Bulls or aged Celtics team.

ThunderStorm 04-29-2012 02:33 AM

Even with the injury of D Rose I can't count the Bulls out just yet, they played well at times during the season without Rose beating the Heat a couple of times in that span. The Celtics have given the Heat trouble at times this season too. I do still see the Heat winning the East but I don't think it will be as easy as some think. In the West I have to go with OKC they are just too good, Durant is a beast as well as Westbrook and Harden. The Spurs and Mavs are good but I just think that they are too old to last in a 7 game series with a young, running team like the Thunder, but who knows what could happen.

Gordon 04-29-2012 11:26 AM

You misunderstand me. I'm not saying they necessarily will win it this year, I'm saying if they don't, despite all of the things that have happened, then we can deem their project unsuccessful. When you say "Not one, not two, not three..." you have to be able to win a season like this.

ThunderStorm 04-29-2012 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordon (Post 3547371)
You misunderstand me. I'm not saying they necessarily will win it this year, I'm saying if they don't, despite all of the things that have happened, then we can deem their project unsuccessful. When you say "Not one, not two, not three..." you have to be able to win a season like this.

Oh no I completely agree with what you are saying, if there was ever a chance for them it is this year.

AspectRatio1986 04-29-2012 03:35 PM

I was shocked when I visited ESPN.com only to see an injured Rose on the front page....wow.

jaw2929 04-29-2012 03:43 PM

Terrible news for Chicago fans about DRose. Though they've done quite well without him in the majority of their regular season games. I'll say this: Miami does NOT want to meet Boston at any point, because the Celtics have owned their asses during the regular season. I have a feeling the C's might be able to get to the Finals again this year, IF they can get past Miami. (I have no doubts they'll defeat the Hawks in the 1st round).

Also awesome game last night between Dallas & OKC. I was wanting the Mavs to win, but I'm not mad that the Thunder pulled it off with KD's last second shot. This is going to be one helluva series, no matter how many games it goes!

Gordon 04-29-2012 04:59 PM

Everyone keeps saying "Well such-and-such happened to Miami during the regular season" which I just can't jive with.

Miami -- and I do consider this a serious negative -- lacks the will of a warrior (think MJ) and clearly just floats through the regular season. What happened last year? Everyone kept saying "Well Boston and Chicago crushed Miami in the regular season so they're going to have a hard time getting out of the east" and then when it came time to play an actual playoff series, Miami demolished both of them 4-1. Same this season: "Well NY played really well against Miami in the regular season this series is going to be a dog fight" and then Game 1 was a 33 point victory.

I really think you guys should stop extrapolating ideas of what this team will do in the playoffs from games they played in the regular season. Same goes for the previous playoff series -- just look at the finals last year. This team is staggeringly bi-polar.

Frankenberry Reborn 04-29-2012 05:07 PM

I hate to say it, but a Spurs/Heat Finals looks very probable. Jesus, I wouldn't even bother watching that series. I abhor them both equally.

Rose can't catch a break. Chicago is solid without him, but solid won't be good enough.

jaw2929 04-29-2012 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankenberry Reborn (Post 3547451)
I hate to say it, but a Spurs/Heat Finals looks very probable. Jesus, I wouldn't even bother watching that series. I abhor them both equally.

I couldnt've said it better myself sir. If this is what we get in this years Finals, I couldn't give any LESS of a fucking shit in watching it. Fuck that bullshit. Hopefully it doesn't end up that way!

Gordon 04-29-2012 06:17 PM

I have to admit I'm kind of rooting for the Clippers to win the whole thing. It would be beyond hilarious, and honestly Chris Paul is one of the few superstars that really makes you want to root for him.

(back to the real world) How would you guys feel about a Lakers/Heat or Thunder/Heat finals?

Frankenberry Reborn 04-30-2012 05:58 AM

Wow. Clips/Grizz was fucking nuts. I'm glad I watched the 4th quarter because I almost didn't. Reggie Evans is a badass. Ditto for Nick Young. Just an unbelievable comeback. Memphis deserved to lose after being so complacent in the second half.

Gordon, to answer your question, Thunder/Heat would be ideal at this point.

jaw2929 04-30-2012 03:30 PM

I don't want Miami in the Finals at all again.... Though I wouldn't be surprised if they were there. So long as LeBitch doesn't win a ring, that's all I care about.

Yes, that LA/Memphis game was un-fucking-believable! I fast forwarded through most of it (I DVR all the games) and then got about 3/4 the way through the 4th quarter and saw Nick Young light the Grizz up for 9 points in about 1 minutes time. Holy shit that was an awesome comeback! Good for the Clips!

Bourne101 04-30-2012 04:41 PM

That Rondo suspension is bullshit. It seemed pretty obvious to me that he just lost his footing when approaching the ref.

jaw2929 04-30-2012 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bourne101 (Post 3547747)
That Rondo suspension is bullshit. It seemed pretty obvious to me that he just lost his footing when approaching the ref.

Nah, I think the bump was intentional and he should've known better. I was fucking PISSED the Celtics lost game 1 though! WTF Boston?!?!

With his suspension, Avery Bradley will take over and hopefully the C's can even the series up tomorrow.

AceD 04-30-2012 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bourne101 (Post 3547747)

Eh...it's pretty clear letter of the law. And Rondo's previous tiffs with refs certainly didn't help his cause.

The C's can be fine without him for one game, and sometimes Pierce seems more dialed in when he has to run the show...hopefully that'll be the case here.

ThunderStorm 04-30-2012 08:39 PM

Rondo definitely bumped him on purpose you don't catch yourself by sticking your chest out, but yeah I was surprised the Celtics lost for some reason I still think they have this series though.

Bourne101 04-30-2012 09:47 PM

Now that I look at it from a few different angles you can see him step on the ref's foot and fall forward a bit. He could have held up, but let himself fall forward a bit more and stuck his chest out so he could bump into the ref.

Phew... and there I was, thinking I was going to have to defend a Celtics player. :p

jaw2929 05-01-2012 03:24 PM

I'd just like to say that Amare' Stoudemire's a dumb fucking motherfucker. You're going to punch GLASS after your loss? Really? Really!?! You fucking moron! You know your team didn't have a chance against Miami and it's looking like a possible sweep for the Heat....

Also this OKC/Dallas series is fucking great to watch. I don't care if the Thunder sweep the Mavericks, it's still entertaining as hell to watch so far.... As for the Bulls & Sixers, I wouldn't be surprised to see Philly steal a win, when Chicago's morale could possibly be low due to the loss of DRose.

Also, Boston will recover tonight and hopefully get their win back against Atlanta. Bradley & Pierce should be able to step up in the absence of Rondo.

And if it came down to it - I wouldn't mind seeing a Lakers/Heat NBA Finals this year, with Kobe getting the best of LeBitch & Co. but I don't think that's going to happen. The way OKC & Miami is playing, it'll be those two meeting for the Championship.

AceD 05-01-2012 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaw2929 (Post 3548245)
The way OKC & Miami is playing, it'll be those two meeting for the Championship.

Miami looks great, but OKC looks awful to me. They are absolutely as bad as the Heat in crunch time in that they stand around and watch while their stars take turns on long pull-up jumpers. They play 3-on-5 on offense when Perk and Ibaka are in. Harden is the only one who takes it to the hole with consistency and Durant still can't get a good look on his own against a double-team. I love them, but they don't play smart. At all. A portion of it is certainly Scott Brooks' fault (does he run any plays? Seriously?), but their stars need to step it up. I think they matchup well against the Lakers because of their bigs, but they're certainly capable of losing, and unless they start to play offense more efficiently, they won't beat Memphis or San Antonio in a series. I realize there's something about knocking off the Champs, but this Mavs team is a shell of what it was last year and this is still the 1-8 matchup. I have no faith in OKC at this point.

Gordon 05-01-2012 04:54 PM

Any takers on the theory that Amare' did that purposefully so that he would have an excuse after they're inevitably kicked to the curb?