Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums

Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums (
-   Celeb-O-Meter (
-   -   Heath Ledger (

Hannibal21 02-24-2006 06:23 PM

Heath Ledger
When this guy first appeared on screen in '10 Things I Hate About You', I immediately thought he had tons of potential and was going to be destined for greatness................but then The Patriot, Four Feathers, A Knight's Tale, Ned Kelly, and a string of bad films followed that pretty much had me lose hope in him. And the fact that he developed into some sort of teen heartthrob over the years didn't help either.

Now, with Brokeback Mountain, I'm more than willing to erase all his bad films from my memory, as he finally releases those long buried talents and gives not only the best male performance of last year, but also of this decade. The more I watch the movie, the more I connect with his performance. It's one of those turns so raw and haunting from an actor that it becomes not just a great acting effort but a complete possession of a character, and Ledger creates one of the most memorable, emotionally affecting characters of this decade.

Hopefully, I will see him do more of these complex roles in the future, as opposed to having his talents wasted in forgettable, mediocre war movies, he proves with Brokeback that he's SO much better than that.

Huge YAY!

Cronos 02-24-2006 07:41 PM

from what ive seen of his films i have never been very impressed with his acting, although i have yet to see Brokeback Mountain which does look very promising

Tagia_Romero 02-24-2006 08:42 PM

I'm not adverse to say that he has talent because he does, but he's like a watered down version of Russell Crowe, he can be a bit of a chalkhead.

notchreturns 02-24-2006 11:24 PM

Haven't seen Brokeback, but I thought his job in Monster's Ball was a great one.

thedudeman69 02-24-2006 11:34 PM

uh, a solid Yay for me.

He didn't really get noticed till Brokeback hit, in my opinon.

ilovemovies 02-25-2006 02:10 AM

I haven't seen Brokeback Mountain, but I've been a fan since 10 Things I Hate About You! And he's given strong performances in The Patriot, Monster's Ball, Casanova, The Four Feathers, Ned Kelly and the underrated thriller The Order.

Jasna88 03-07-2006 03:00 PM

..........HOT (maybe)
BBM was great

Scorpio24 03-08-2006 07:11 AM

Yeah jury is still out for him on me. That being said I haven't seen Brokeback yet so......

Tuukka 03-08-2006 10:41 AM

Definititely a YAY.

I first saw him in Patriot, and he was excellent in it. Then it was followed by Knight's Tale, which didn't require much in terms of acting but proved that the guy has plenty of natural charm and screen presence. He has a "star" written all over him.

But what really made me respect him was that after the success of Knight's Tale he realized that people see him just as a another pretty boy on the block. He refused to do anymore mainstream Hollywood films (he got offered particularly plenty of big action movies) and chose the indie / arthouse route instead. He publicly stated in interviews that he wants to be an actor, not a teenage heartrob.

And now, after a few years in smaller, more serious films, he finally is getting the respect he deserves. Good for him, I say. He sticked to his principles and succeeded because of them.