View Single Post
Old 06-28-2008, 06:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jolanar View Post
You complain about new versions of Final Fantasy but herald new versions of old Dragon Quest games? Seems a little contradictory to me.

I'm all for expanding worlds. Crisis Core was great and the Vincent spin off had mediocre seen-it-before gameplay but it had a pretty interesting plot and introduced fun new characters for the most part. I also absolutely loved X-2. Sure it was cheesy and very light hearted compared to X, but it completed the story in a very cool way.

Besides, games like Dissidia likely take very little focus off their flagship product which is the new FF on the next gen system.
It's a completely different beast when it comes to Dragon Quest. I did say that I'm excited for Final Fantasy IV on DS (I've got it reserved already), but that doesn't make it a necessary game. And with those 3 Dragon Quest games, we didn't even get V or VI in America, and IV was overshadowed because it came out at the end of the NES' lifespan. So I think that's worthy of new versions.

And besides the Rocket Slime and Dragon Quest Monsters games, you don't really see that many Dragon Quest spin-offs. Sure, there were some shitty games on Game Boy Color and a Mystery Dungeon game starring Torneko, but really, do you really think those were made as cash ins? Not really. When Square Enix starts making fighting games and movies with Dragon Quest characters, then we have something to bitch about.

As good as it was, Crisis Core was a totally unnecessary game (the story was fine as it is). Dirge of Cerberus was a piece of shit, and Advent Children was pretty, but hollow. Don't get me wrong, S-E is one of my favorite companies (moreso when they were Squaresoft), and Final Fantasy is one of my all time favorite game series, but Square Enix just needs to stop beating a fucking dead horse. When I look at the line-up of Square produced stuff (stuff like Infinite Undiscovery and Star Ocean 4 is more obviously the Enix half, seeing as they're both Tri-Ace games), all I see is Final Fantasy XIII and the various Final Fantasy cash-ins. This doesn't even mean that the spin-offs/cash-ins will be bad games, I just wish Square would take a fucking chance and revive some of their older franchises, like Brave Fencer Musashi, Parasite Eve (with a fucking PROPER sequel), Chrono Trigger, and make a fucking decent Mana sequel. Hell, gimme fucking new IPs (all I see on the horizon is The Last Remnant, but that looks fucking wonderful). They might as well change their name to Final Fantasy Soft.