View Single Post
Old 07-28-2008, 12:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingofKings2525 View Post
Tyson at 50 and him not even listed on your personal list?!???! Tyson in his peak was one of the greatest Boxers EVER, not just of his day, EVER. I would stand to reason that he would have beat anybody in the history of boxing at his peak.
Tyson got ass fucked for 10 rounds and KO'ed by a carpet technician. You don't get in this top 50 by KO'ing Tyrell Biggs.

A fighter is best definied by the men he beat, although skills do play a role. Some people ignore what a fighter did after he was past his prime, but I see this time as an excellent way to see how he'll do under stress. I try not to base fighters on hypothetical situations, as in, "I rank Wlad over Jerry Quarry because I think Wlad could maybe beat Jerry Quarry." The fact is that Jerry Quarry beat Ron Lyle, Earnie Shavers, Floyd Patterson, Buster Mathis and Mac Foster against losses - mostly on cuts - to other greats, while Wladimir Klitschko beat Chris Byrd, and lost to three idiots by knockout.

The best thing you can do is constantly question your rankings, and assume that they're something wrong with them. I also avoid ranking fighters based on fights they clearly lost, like Billy Conn against Joe Louis or Vitali Klitschko against Byrd and Lewis.