View Single Post
Old 07-22-2009, 05:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson13 View Post
It makes me want to beat them with a stick because they are in fact working to help their families, yet here they are bitching and complaining that they cant afford name brand clothing to help them look "gangster" anymore. They need to wake up and realize that clothes dont make you who you are, and the fact that if you need to dress yourself in name brand clothing in order to be seen as something different, or better than you yourself believe you are, is downright pathetic.
Poverty is indeed pathetic. The deep-seated insecurity, shame, and depression that come with being destitute in an incredibly wealthy nation that values material possessions so highly often manifest themselves in trying to mask how poor you are so that it's not so immediately obvious to the people around you and you don't feel so worthless and ashamed. Being the victim of institutionalized poverty is certainly something we should beat people for.

Quote:
The clothes I'm wearing right now, a t-shirt, shorts and boxers, all cost me a combined $15. You dont hear me whining in the news one tiny little bit that because of what I have on means I'm not a good person, or that I'm poor. Its not what you wear that makes you what you are, its what you do and who you become. I'll respect the fact that they are dock workers and whatnot, trying to provide for a family. I'll respect that any time any day of the week. But what I dont respect is someone crying out for sympathy because they can no longer afford the type of clothing they mention in the article.
Your assumption that they are whining, complaining, bitching, and "crying out for sympathy" in the news seems to suppose that a couple of poor black teenagers and young twenty-somethings called up a newspaper editor complaining about how they can't afford nice things anymore with the recession and they demand people know their plight because it's so sad and the newspaper decided to run the story. This isn't realistic, but it is what would be required for the young guys to be responsible for the story and gaming for sympathy. Instead, it seems, some reporter was curious how the economic depression has effected designer clothing lines and, knowing many of the urban poor wear designer clothes, went to a local youth education office to try to find some quotes. There, she probably asked people whether or not they bought less nice clothes nowadays, and the kids responded that yeah, while they used to have a nice pair of Nikes and could afford 7-for-all-mankind jeans, now times are tight and they don't have any extra cash to spend on themselves, it all goes towards necessities, which for them are ample because unlike most people their age, they're also helping support a family. Just makes you wanna bash their fucking skulls in with a pipe, huh?

Quote:
And by the way, I used the term gangster, because I originally read the article on Fark.com and the term used in the headline there was "Blingster". Gangster, unlike blingster, is a real term/real word and I went for that.
But "blingster", while indeed not recognized Oxford's English, is at least a somewhat accurate descriptor of the subjects. Even "blingster" might be pushing it and perpetuating a stereotype, since this is describing designer jeans, hats, and shoes worth a few hundred dollars not the gold and diamond jewelry worth tens of thousands of dollars that is commonly described as "bling," but at least it's the same ballpark. "Gangster" however is not remotely the same thing, gangster means "A member of a gang of criminals" (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/gangster). These guys are all studying for their GED and working legitimate jobs or were recently laid off from legitimate jobs, not robbing, dealing drugs, or killing people. So calling them gangsters is inaccurate, insulting, and hints at something latent expressed later.

Quote:
Edit: Also, when you go out and spend $300 for a pair of jeans or $500 a week on clothes or whatever, that is the exact reason why you are poor. These morons apparently cant understand that, so they blame it on the color of their skin and say "I'm poor because I'm black and I get held down by the man because of my skin color" instead of waking the fuck up and realizing "shit, maybe I'm poor because I dont know how to save money or spend wisely. Maybe instead of dropping $300 for those jeans I could put that $300 in the bank and help myself and my family out even more...."
There we go, nothing latent about it now. Fuck those stupid, lazy blacks, right? It doesn't matter that they were born into poverty, given no access to proper education, likely had one working parent and no other adult supervision, dealt with dangerous and crime-ridden neighborhoods with no effective policing to protect them, and almost certainly never saw any example of saving extra money in the unlikely event that there ever was any extra money around to be saved (the median net worth of black Americans, less a house and a car, is $0). It's totally their fault and they're morons for selfishly buying things for themselves that were beyond their means, no teenagers do that except ones that need to be hit with sticks. They shouldn't be commended for working hard to help raise and support their siblings and single mothers, they just need to get hit upside the head by big white guys who know better. Brilliant.

Last edited by QUENTIN; 07-22-2009 at 05:20 PM..