View Single Post
Old 03-08-2011, 03:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fred Krueger View Post
Completely irrelevant. There's a difference between recasting and replacing an actor that was always meant to be replaced. Would you really have preferred to have Jabba a human in A New Hope and a giant slug in Jedi? Would that have made sense? Again, the intent was always to have the actor removed and replaced with a strange creature, even before Lucas knew Jabba was a slug.
Completely relevant. We're discussing the simple concept of directors going back and making changes to a released film because of obstacles during filmmaking. Lucas wanted Jabba to be a non-human(but apparently wasn't sure if he wanted a furry creature or a giant slug yet). Okay, so he casts a human, 6 years later makes a giant slug puppet to represent the same character, then 15 years later uses a CGI slug to replace the human actor. Nolan wanted to use The Joker but the actor that played him died, so his decision was to take the sequel in a different direction and write the character out. Which was more respectful to the actor who helped create the character?

Yes I am absolutely fine with continuity errors such as this. When Rachael Dawes was played by a different actor in The Dark Knight, I was not distracted. I'm more distracted by (already)dated CGI effects looking out of place in a 1970s production.

Quote:
You think it's not broke.

Quote:
After 14 years it is simply time for people to get over it.
That's right. I prefer the original trilogy, I was completely happy with it. I'm not a big fan of CGI, and I don't think it's right for one man to go back and change movies that an entire staff of people worked on. I understand why Lucas might want to make changes and be so protective, but I'm really flabbergasted by your attitude.

How does it affect you if I can watch the original trilogy on BluRay? I don't begrudge you for preferring the Special Editions, but it seems like I'm completely wrong for disagreeing with Lucas on the direction of the Special Editions. I must admit I'm quite disappointed in the attitudes of my fellow Star Wars fans.