View Single Post
Old 04-30-2011, 07:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin Tarantino
"I'd like to do a Western. But rather than set it in Texas, have it in slavery times. With that subject that everybody is afraid to deal with. Let's shine that light on ourselves. You could do a ponderous history lesson of slaves escaping on the Underground Railroad. Or, you could make a movie that would be exciting. Do it as an adventure.
That's what bothers me about it. He has the pretense that he's making a movie about a controversial subject others are afraid to deal with and shining a light on American history...but he just wants to use slavery times as a backdrop for a bloody action movie. In other words, he wants to make an exploitation movie where it's slavery being exploited. I'm sure it'll be as much about exploring the injustice of slavery and American racism as Inglourious Basterds was about the evils of Nazism and fascism...which means, you know, not at all. If he wants to keep making 70's-style exploitation movies, okay (he's a big fan of Mandingo, 'nuff said), but I wish he copped to it more rather than also making the rather spurious claim with this and IB that it's about something greater than getting his rocks off and having fun and that he supposedly takes the subject matter seriously and has something to say about it. There's also the fact that now 4 of his last 5 movies (or 3 of his last 4 if you count KB as one) are revenge films which feels repetitive.

Personally, I liked him best when he wasn't making genre exploitation pics but character-driven dramas that made me care about the people onscreen. Even at their most technically accomplished (which QT surely is) I think exploitation flicks are pretty cheap and lazy, below his level of talent though they're seemingly his only interest nowadays. I'll surely see it, but it's a predictably disappointing development as I think Tarantino slips further away from what made me such a fan of his work and embraces all the superficial aspects that have almost turned his work into self-parody.

Last edited by QUENTIN; 04-30-2011 at 08:32 PM..