View Single Post
Old 06-09-2011, 01:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Having read the script I think that, while there are a number of options, Michael K Williams is definitely the best fit for the role.

I want to level a criticism against the script, though. I think it will be interesting and enjoyable, but QT's mentality seems to be a total waste of his talent. He's definitely gotten into this "I'm such a fucking genius I'm going to make these weird little compelling 70sish movies" mode; he's really given up going for any sort of serious masterpiece since 1997. It's fun to have the 2000s QT of Kill Bill, Basterds, etc. but this will now be his fifth movie that is sort of compelling but not any sort of cinematic leap. Can anyone really say that we wouldn't be better off if these five weren't trying to hit the cinematic levels of his first three films?
I agree completely, and would only add that even with all that you've said being true, I can count on just two hands the number of films made in the 2000s that I think are better than Inglourious or Kill Bill. Why don't other filmmakers step it up so that Tarantino at least feels contemporary competition? (And no, I don't consider PTA's work at all comparable, as I much prefer Boogie Nights to TWBB, and think Tarantino both more gifted and more consistently great.)