View Single Post
Old 09-01-2011, 09:18 PM
Ocean's Thirteen (Steven Soderbergh, 2007) C+
Much like its predecessor, the plot is very convoluted. The characters aren't really as fleshed-out in this one, and the heist is really complex and only gets more complex. There's so much going on, it's hard to really follow it all. Seeing the heist play itself out is cool, but the buildup (which encompasses most of the film) is confusing and boring.

Ice Age (Chris Wedge/Carlos Saldanha, 2002) B
It's not a particularly memorable computer-animated film, but it's still fun. The animation is really good and I like the voice work by Ray Romano as the Manny the mammoth, John Leguizamo as Sid the sloth, and Dennis Leary as Diego the saber-toothed cat. The squirrel Scrat is also very funny in his little aside scenes.

9 (Shane Acker, 2009) C
I was really excited for this film and I saw it the day it came out (the first day of my freshman year of high school, actually), and boy was I disappointed. The 2005 short film by Shane Acker was really cool (the feature-length film is based on it). The animation in the short film was fantastic and the film was suspenseful. The feature-length film introduced voice acting, most of which was average at best, and the plot was almost nonexistent. The animation was great, though, as was the atmosphere, and the creature designs exuded creativity. However, that didn't save the film from being a mediocre, story-free romp around an overused post-apocalyptic setting.

Get Him to the Greek (Nicholas Stoller, 2010) A-
This was easily the funniest movie of 2010. Russell Brand is hilarious in this one, and Sean Combs also delivers the laughs. I enjoyed every single character, and the laughs come frequently. I especially love the Las Vegas segment on the film. The only downside comes in the form of one of the later scenes involving an awkward threesome. The scene itself is also very awkward and kind of uncomfortable to watch, as well as completely unnecessary. Other than that, it's a very funny movie that I can enjoy even on the fifth viewing (which this was).