View Single Post
Old 09-03-2011, 08:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by magjournal View Post
Pink Flamingos (John Waters, 1972) F
The acting and the script are some of the worst I've seen and the plot is paper thin, but even that's not terrible compared to the film's main problem. It's the most vile, tasteless, offensive, and disgusting film I've ever seen in my entire life. I don't even want to give examples of what makes it disgusting, but it's incredibly shocking to say the least. I don't even know if I can call it a film. To call it the same thing one would call The Godfather is an insult. Hell, to call it the same thing one would call Meet the Spartans is an insult. This is the worst movie I've ever seen in my entire life. The previous winner, Birdemic: Shock and Terror, was one of the most poorly-made films I've ever seen, but it never shocked or offended me like this film did. Not only can't I recommend this film, but I strongly, and I mean STRONGLY recommend you stay the hell away from it.
I don't blame your distaste to such a pointless and distasteful movie. What I find funny is that John Waters prides himself as the master of shock schlock. He brags about ever since he was a kid, his only intent was to disgust viewers, and he was proud of the fact that people would pass out and/or puke while seeing Pink Flamingos. He compares the tastelessness of that to what JACKASS does today; it's vile, senseless and causes the most base reaction from viewers. So, for you to be completely turned off and offended, it actually accomplished Waters' wishes.
I wouldn't say it's art, and I didn't like it either. But I think it's funny to think how it accomplished what he intended.