View Single Post
Old 09-08-2011, 05:39 AM
Past Tense

Today we showcase the exclusive that came with the remake of "The Time Machine"...

The motion picture opened on March 10th, 2002. It was made with a budget of $80,000,000 (estimated) and grossed over $123 million during its U.S. theatrical run.

The feature opened against "The Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship Of The Ring", "A Beautiful Mind", "40 Days And 40 Nights" and "Return To Never Land".

This release was case only, no slipcover issued. It did come with a two page booklet, production notes with chapter listing.

- - -

Best Buy was the only store which had an exclusive, a bonus disc attached to the case. This set streeted on July 23rd, 2002 and sold for $14.99. The bonus disc came in a printed cardboard sleeve (which can fit inside the case). This was something I did not buy on release day. I bought my copy from Wal-Mart and the exclusive through Ebay many years ago (I didn't start buying DVDs until 2003, November to be exact). Since then, I moved this set into a two disc case. The movie disc is gold, unlike current DVD production which is polished silver.

"Inside The Screenplay" is a 6:01 minute featurette, strangely named "Writer & Director Commentary" on the sleeve. "Read The Screenplay" is text based, self-explanatory.

- - - - - - - - - -

Footnotes.

Above is a still from an alternate scene not included in the delete area, it only appears in the trailer for two seconds. Next to that is the final version. Traveler Alexander Hartdegen (Guy Pearce) goes further into the future and sees a new, more advance Eloi world (clearly influenced by Vox [Orlando Jones]). This was the new world he witnessed after fighting the Über-Morlock (Jeremy Irons). Filmmakers changed their minds and gave us a different, barren, Morlock owned world (one without a master mind controller). This bleak vision was probably done to give Alexander real motivation to change the future.

- - -

"The Time Machine" was slated for a December 2001 box office, but that release date was changed because of September 11th. DreamWorks had to cut and redo a pivotal action scene set in 2037. This pushed back the theatrical release from December 24th, 2001 to March 10th, 2002 for the reworking.

The excavation on the moon for "Lunar Leisure Living" has cause it to crack and shatter. The scene in the final film is somewhat similar to the pre-altered version; Hartdegen is handcuffed and is forcibly taken by soldiers to their Hummer for a shelter. Unlike the film, moon fragments are impacting Earth - one of them hits a skyscraper causing it to collapse. As the building falls, the soldiers run for safety, Alexander jumps back into his contraption and time jumps. Events follow the same course. This happened on August 8th, 2037.

Within the exclusive, "Read The Screenplay" there is no mention of the meteor shower, Instead it reads:
Quote:
Then another tremor - the most violet yet - like a shock wave nearing them -- building --

The earth begins to shake and quake and undulate violently - as if gravity itself is rebelling.
Whole portions of the presented screenplay has areas which simplify read - "OMIT". This script appears to be post 9-11.

By the way, the screenplay reflects the positive Eloi future, but they were not ground base, they have a floating city. The gear read-out reads July 11th - 63,542,781,045.

- - -

In early 2004 there was a report that the film's executive producer, Arnold Leibovit and Warner Bros. were working towards a sequel - a mini-series. The character, Dr. Alexander Hartdegen would face a new peril. No word if Guy Pearce would've reprise his role or even what venue for broadcast (network or cable). It obviously didn't get made, but I would like to know what it was about.

- - - - - - - - - -

Just Because.

Production artwork for the temporal apparatus. And a screen snap of actress Myndy Crist - "Jogger" from 2030 (she's pretty). Don't know - in the store window behind them; is that a blue mirco mini-skirt or booty shorts? Either way I approve. *nods*

Last edited by JohnIan; 03-30-2014 at 01:55 AM..