View Single Post
Old 10-03-2011, 04:08 AM
1. A Nightmare On Elm Street (1984): Nancy (Heather Langenkamp) and her friends seem to all be suffering from the same nightmare of a terribly burned man (Fred Krueger) in red and green sweater, with knives for fingers, who is after them in their dreams. If you die in your dreams, then you die in reality. When one of Nancy's best friends Tina is murdered, she finds herself separating fiction from reality. Is Freddy Krueger just in their dreams, or is he in fact a living force. It is up to Nancy to try and solve the mystery, by trying to stay alive, but most importantly by staying awake. Wes Craven's original masterpiece, still holds up very well today. Dark, gory, unsettling and most importantly scary. Despite some weak performances, shaky dialogue, and a weak finale, this movie still delivers the chills and suspense. Plus, and I can't stress this enough FREDDY IS FUCKING SCARY!!!!!

2. A Nightmare On Elm Street 3: The Dream Warriors (1987): Freddy Krueger is back, this time terrorizing a group of traumatized teens in a mental institution. It seems these group of youngsters are the last of the offspring to the parents that burned Krueger alive years ago. Through the character of Kristin (Patricia Arquette) these teens are able to discover each of their own hidden dream powers that can be used against Freddy. Also, Freddy's old nemesis Nancy (Heather Langenkamp) is back as well. Imaginative and inventive third entry, put the series back on track. I love how they explored the dreamscapes in this one, and how every character was able to discover and use their very unique "dream power," to combat Freddy. Fun and still scary in some places, this entry however mark the beginning of Freddy's transition from dark and scary, to comedic, but it still manages to deliver in spite of Freddy's corny one-liners.

3. A Nightmare On Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge (1985): Jesse (Mark Patton) and his family have just moved into 1428 Elm Street, when wouldn't you know it Jesse starts having nightmares about Freddy Krueger. It seems this time around Freddy wants to possess the body of Jesse in order to kill in the real world. Vastly underrated second entry, was rushed into production after the success of the first film. Despite the well-known "gay" subtext, and big mistake of bringing Freddy into the real world (the pool party massacre was beyond dumb!!!) This entry still manages to be rather scary in some places (I loved the opening dream sequence in this one,) features some great make-up effects, and I appluade this one for trying something different, in spite of itself. Finally, Freddy is still scary in this one, even though he is given entirely too much dialogue.

4. A Nightmare On Elm Street 4: The Dream Master (1988): Freddy is brought back to life, via flaming dog piss (????) only to dispose of the leftover teens from the last film. He then sets his sights on the new character of Alice; who has the ability to absorbed different strenghts from everyone of her friends that Freddy kills. Freddy by now has become a horror icon, so it was only natural for this entry to be very flashy, loud, and obnoxious. Gone are the dark-deary dream sequences, only to be replace by MTV carnival ride style dreams, where Freddy has now become your comedic tour guide. Some of the sequences deliver; I love the "roach" motel and the junkyard scenes. However, this entry is just ridiculous in most places. Freddy is revived by flaming dog urine???? WTF!!!! He spouts out beyond corny catch phrases, and now has become a mockery of his former self. However, despite these faults, this entry is still fun to watch, just don't expect the same magic of the past entries.

5. Wes Craven's A New Nightmare (1994): Freddy terrorizes the son of real life Heather Langenkamp, who plays herself in this one. It's a movie within a movie, as the character of Freddy wants to break free from the Elm Street movies, so he can kill in our reality. Wes Craven returns to director's chair for this entry and it's a flawed, yet welcome return. I did like how they brought the dark undertones of the first movie back, by returning Freddy back to his original roots. But, man is this entry BORING in most places. Too long, too convoluted, and contrived. Plus, that fucking little kid got on my nerves!!!!

6. A Nightmare On Elm Street 5: The Dream Child (1989): Freddy's is back once again, terrorizing the dreams of the unborn child of our beloved heroine Alice. Rushed into production after the fourth entry became a big box office draw, this time around the director tired to inject some of the dark-gothic approaches of the first film, however, it's Freddy himself that ruins this one. Everytime, the film tries to push it's boundaries into dark territory, Freddy shows up to ruin the proceedings. (WHAT THE FUCK IS FREDDY DOING RIDING A SKATEBOARD!!!)

7. Freddy Vs. Jason (2003): Two of horror's most recognizable names go head to head finally. I just couldn't rate this entry any higher, being that I wasn't a big fan of it, even when I saw it back in theaters eight years ago. The two horror icons of the 1980s go head-to-head, with Mr. Krueger sitting on the side lines most of the film; he only kills one teenager in this one, the rest of the kills belong to Mr. Voorhees. Appalling acting on all fronts, sloppy direction, non-existent scares, and an incredible corny ending sink this film. Entertaining too watch, if you turn off your brain before hand.

8. Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare (1991): By now Freddy has just about wiped out all the children of Springwood, OH, with the possible exception of one. Freddy's backstory comes into play here, as we learn that Mr. Krueger himself had a daughter, who he will try to use in order for him to continue his reign of dream stalking. My most hated film of the series, is beyond groanable and fucking irritating too watch. Freddy has now become a full on cliche, even his make-up in this one sucks the big one. He spits out his terrible one-liners left and right, sucks some unlucky soul into a video game (WTF!!!), power glove included. Too many uneccessary characters survive (why did Lezlie Deane's character survive, god I wanted her bitch character to die so badly!!!) I liked how they explored more of Freddy's backstory, but it transpires into a waste of time as Ms. Talalay seems more preoccupied with shooting a MTV music video than a proper horror film. Plus, Freddy's demise is handled so badly, you just have to wonder why the powers that be couldn't give Mr. Krueger a proper send off.

9. A Nightmare On Elm Street (remake) (2010): I'm at a cross roads to include this remake on the list, being that Mr. Englund is no longer Freddy Krueger. Awful, pointless, MTV remake, features none of the suspense or imagination of Wes Craven's original. Really at the end of the day what was the point of remaking this one. Goes to show that Hollywood has really run out of original ideas. Sad states of affairs.

Last edited by poguesfan; 10-10-2011 at 03:43 AM..