View Single Post
Old 10-24-2011, 12:00 AM
Robot Jox (1990)

Some epic robot/mecha fighting going on here with some epic stop motion effects hehe well sort of, its certainly very dated and looks more like an episode of 'Red Dwarf' than a film but its so gloriously tacky and fun.

A Band production (he does churn them out) which does seem to bare a small similarity to the recent 'Reel Steel' but admittedly is more of a mech film. Basically trained fighters combat in massive mechs for control of certain parts of the world which hold value but the fighters are part of a 'Formula 1' type team. Its chock full of silly sci-fi and wonderfully cheesy effects and bluescreen, some of which looks OK some of which looks nasty, but one things for sure the cast do their best to make it seem serious *chuckle*.

Its very easy going stuff and perfect for those sci-fi hounds out there that love a good B-movie and I'm sure we all know of Mr Band's work. Goodies wear white and are team America where as the baddies wear black and are naughty evil team Russia (boo! hiss!) 'crash n burn'.

More of a serious and adult version of 'Outbreak' really, minus all the glossy Hollywood action and over the top acting from a certain Mr Gooding and Hoffman. This is totally straight and a very accurate depiction of what could happen if a lethal virus outbreak occured in the present day.

To be frank its so realistic its kinda depressing to watch as we all know this is what would happen in a worse case scenario, filmed in a quite basic manner almost verging on handheld to nail home the stark lines of reality. Its very well made and very well acted by all involved, more of an assemble piece with all stories coming together from various different angles but nothing confusing.

Not really a horror or a thriller but more of a documentary type of film really, its certainly more of an informative film than scary film. You watch and you learn how these things start, can spread and the repercussions of media coverage, ill use of the internet, word of mouth and how there may always be people who will try to make money from even the most grave situation (but I'm sure most can guess that). There is even the old conspiracy theories side that eventually pops up, inevitably, which fuels the fires of panic.

Very good, very real but not the most comfortable watch, these type of films tend to make you itch whilst you watch haha. Interesting it may be but I wouldn't wanna buy it or watch it again to be honest as there is nothing really entertaining here, probably not suppose to be but that's just my view.