View Single Post
Old 11-24-2011, 10:29 AM
Originally Posted by Shinigami View Post
If I don't make off statements now and again I will lose the audience! Huzzah!

The article says he was asked this question by a TMZ cameraman, right. Which suggests to me the question was in passing and the answer followed in spirit. The amount of thought put into the public response probably doesn't match the amount of thought put into the statement itself. A TMZ cameraman asked if he would return to the Godfather series, and the director, as I imagine him in my hipster mind, said nah bro, it should have stopped at one. That could be a sudden condemnation of the godfather 2 and 3. Or it could be an unmeasured response to a question asking if the godfather series could continue.

But I did get annoyed in a theatrical way at the theatricality of a thread quoting "the godfather 2 was a mistake" despite that, apparently, not being a quote at all. It's an implication, but only an implication.
Yeah, I get where you're coming from. Any TMZ article we have to take with a grain of salt, they're notorious for blowing a simple quote out of proportion and sensationalizing the story... BUT I think the controversy is appropriate when the statement implies that the G part 2 was a mistake. Sure it's just an implication, and we're probably making a mountain out of a molehill, but what else are we going to do? This forum doesn't see much discussion these days so I'm happy for a bit of sensationalism when it comes along, makes for fun discussion.

Anyway, I think it would have been a lot cooler of Coppola said "There can be only one."