Thread: IT
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2011, 10:20 AM
I just feel that the film adaptation takes so many liberties it's like a different story entirely. Most of the love for this movie can only be explained by a vast majority of people who really like it, have not read the book. Not saying any of you haven't, I'm talking in general. I understand books and film adaptations are different, and why they do it, but this went way too far with the differences. Jurassic Park went far, but It was just on another continent. The story is completely changed.

1) The way characters meet each other, interact
2) The adult characters lives, how they are contacted
3) How It approaches each character individually as children
4) The stress of being one of the outcasts and dealing with the constant torment and extreme violence of Henry Bowers
5) The children's psychological and physical abuse/neglect of their own parents
6) The forming and banding together as one of the Loser's, this was the central ingredient to the story and they totally missed it in the film. It was so rushed that the reason these kids are together and all their strenghts and weaknesses is just missed.
7) It. I know people love Tim Curry, but It just wasn't IT! Everything about him and what he does to them as children, and how he tries to shun them away as adults is just absent from the film. It was trying to break the children up psychologically by using their parents, the elders of the town,and Henry Bowers, but that wasn't touched upon in the film.
8) The house on Neibolt St. A HUGE part of the book. Missing.
9) Mike Hanlon and the elders
10) Patrick Hockstetter
11) Bill's internal desire to get his parents affection back and blaming himself for Georgie's death.
12) ALL the events leading to and during when the children go into the sewer to face it.
13) Beverly Marsh's father and husband, pretty much Beverly Marsh's entire character.

I could go on and on and on about how bad this really is, it does the book no justice. I see why people love Tim Curry as Pennywise, but if they really understood and knew what Pennywise stood for and was doing, they would think so much less of his portrayal.