View Single Post
Old 12-26-2011, 08:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCPhoenix View Post
Agree with Digi on all points.

For the first film, the audio caught me off-guard. Because there's clearly no room tones or background noise and the audio just comes in, crystal clear - obviously ADR'd, it actually surprised me when the guy spoke because I was under the impression from the lack of room tone that it was a silent film with audio played over it.

I know you said you didn't concentrate on story but I gotta say I groaned a little when I realized what kind of short it was (hitmen). As far as style goes, I thought it tried too hard for the "cool hitmen" vibe which rarely comes off well in student shorts. I did like the first shot/last shot. I was far more intrigued in the first shot when I thought it was going to be a surreal/weird horror film, and I like the way you used the foreground to your advantage at the end. The editing was a little disjointed (nothing that took me out of it though) and I think you could work a bit on matching shots together better. Still, it looked like you actually spliced the film together physically (from the jumps in the cuts) which I know can be hard to judge for timing.

Your second short is definitely far more successful - although I again groaned a bit with the hitman/assassin angle. The problem here for me is simply that I'm not seeing anything I haven't seen on that end. That said, you did say it was more about atmosphere/style for these two and as with Digi, I liked the one-shot take (which I assume was a requirement for this assignment).

Actually with both short films, your shot compositions aren't bad for the most part (though the high-angle shot in the first one was distracting) - I've seen far worse from starting filmmakers. I like that you aren't afraid to use depth. In the second one especially, the faucet running in the foreground, and the action happening in both the midground and background creates a lot of tension that works well.

So overall, still a good start for the first time. I've seen significantly worse things from first-time filmmakers and I think you'll get the hitmen/assassin focus out of your system as you go on and be better for it (trust me, I had a hitmen phase in my high school films too ).

Thanks a bunch for the reply, I really appreciate it. Yes,I spliced the sound together and did the entire soundtrack off a Mag.

Actually, the one shot film was not the assignment. The assignment was "lighting with movement" and I just chose to do one take, master shot for the entire film.

Thanks for noticing the use of depth, but what do you mean "not afraid"? Do you mean that directors are afraid to use depth nowadays? I dont really understand why they would be?