View Single Post
Old 01-23-2012, 02:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vesaker View Post
Wow, you completely missed what i was getting at. At no point do i say that you have to use the PS1 control style to make the games more scary. I even said "archaic controls aside" which means that i'm not even talking about them. I simply stated that if you wanted to keep closer to the roots of the RE series that making it a run and gun would be a step backwards.
I get that, and I don't agree. I think you can have the ability to run-and-gun without inherently making the game less scary. That's why I brought up Dead Space, you could run-and-gun if you wanted to, but the game still had terrific atmosphere, ammo limitations, and dynamic enemies that require smart positioning for survival.

You keep talking about "returning the game to its roots" and saying I'm missing the point. But I'm the only one who has defined what I mean by returning the game to its roots. I've stated that I want to the horror film atmosphere and cinematic story telling to return and that the control scheme is irrelevant to those aspects.

Quote:
I said nothing about making the game more scary and made several statements about how the controls can play into the intensity or tension of certain situations. I made no connection of scary=old control style.
For many the controls RE5 were not intense, but instead frustrating. When you feel like you don't have great control over your character it can hurt the enjoyment of the game. Many people complained about the controls of RE5, I didn't hear anybody complain about the controls of Dead Space, but many people would describe that game as being intense. I say that Capcom used the intensity factor as an excuse for shitty controls.

Quote:
As to the idea that Dead Space was scary, yeah for maybe the first 10 minutes then it was the same old crap all over again and again. Dead Space was more about shit popping out of corners and screaming at you then any real building of tension. The only time that game got more worrisome was when they tossed in the zero gravity rooms. They did do a good job at limiting your ammo and your general inventory space which was good for adding to the tension though.
I thought it was scary. To me there was plenty of tension due to the atmosphere of the game, the lighting and the music, etc. Did you play the games with Surround Sound? I can't begin to describe the way I felt when I heard faint whispering just behind me as I explored the Ishimura in Dead Space. I was afraid of what was lurking around every corner. The chapter in Dead Space 2 when you return to the Ishimura was simply chilling, and the first half of that chapter barely threw any enemies at you. RE5 didn't come close to the tension or intensity that the DS games reached.

Quote:
But at the end of the day none of these games are in fact "scary". The idea that these games scare the average person is as silly as the idea that the latest horror flick actually scaring ppl. They can startle you, to be sure, but so can any unexpected sudden load noise. What these good games do is build tension and it can be hard to do that if your a near god running around unloading clip after clip into near empty rooms.
Funny that sounds a lot more like RE5 than Dead Space.

Quote:
Hell the way i see it the more the RE games move towards traditional FPS's then they might as well start making games based on the RE movies
I've actually said before that Capcom may be bringing the franchise closer to action games because of the popularity of the movies, which are clearly just action films with monsters in them.

Last edited by DaveyJoeG; 01-23-2012 at 02:32 PM..