View Single Post
Old 01-23-2012, 06:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vesaker View Post
Yes there is but its the controls that we are discussing.
No, you want to tunnel-vision on the controls when I'm talking about the overall survival horror aspects of Resident Evil 5, or lack thereof.

Quote:
Sigh. Once again you're saying things that i never said. I never stated i didn't understand how sound builds tension i said i didn't understand how that has anything to do about the controls and how they play into that tension. Any fucking game can have atmospheric tension with sound and lighting but that is not what is being discussed here.
That's not putting words in your mouth, me saying you don't understand something does not mean I think you admitted that you don't understand. I'm trying to discuss a variety of things that add to suspense and tension in a video game, because whether or not you want to focus on controls, music and sound effects are a big part of the atmosphere of a survival horror game.

We're talking about survival horror games and their effective level of scariness, why can't I bring up sound? The controls of RE5 are just one of the many reasons I think that game failed, but I've been bringing up the importance of atmosphere in survival horror games since my first post in this thread.

Quote:
This bit makes no sense. We aren't talking about how RE5 stacks up against Dead Space. If you have other problems with RE5 outside of the controls that's fine but agtain i state that i have no idea what that has to do about controls. If you think Dead Space did 9 out of 10 things better then RE5 then sweet, cool, rock on. But we are discussing the controls.
I don't know why you're getting so hung up on just one of the issues I've been bringing up in this thread. Why can't the discussion naturally evolve and incorporate multiple topics? You're the one who wants to just focus on controls. You say Dead Space is not scary, then I explain why I found Dead Space to be scary, so you respond by saying I can't bring those things up because it has nothing to do with the controls. Uh... no, but it has something to do with your claim that Dead Space isn't scary.

Quote:
No problem. Something that is scary is something that continues to inspire dread or terror in a person. Being scared by something once does no quailify something as scary. For it to be scary you would have to keep being scared of it.
Which is why I brought up the music and atmosphere of Dead Space. Those elements inspired sustained dread for me.

Quote:
But one last thing. You say SH2 is one of your fav survivor horror games yet it stars an every man, who is clumsy, can barely shoot straight and can't move while shooting so clearly that formula does work.
SH2 is one of my favorite survival horror games, so is Dead Space 1 and 2, and the early Resident Evil games. Silent Hill and Resident Evil have both had games ranging from great to mediocre. It's not about the formula, but the execution that makes a great survival horror game.

Quote:
I think in the end we can both agree that RE5 was a horrible let down, regardless of our personal opinions on how to improve it might be
Absolutely!