View Single Post
Old 01-31-2012, 10:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Soloist View Post
Just because they have Academy Awards doesn't automatically make them the best person for the role. Especially in comic book films.
No, but it's a good indication that they're a good actor with the necessary range for a comic book film.

Quote:
Look at Hugh Jackman in X-Men, Christian Bale (who was Batman before he won for The Fighter) in Batman, Chris Evans in Captain America, and Downey Jr in Iron Man. All great actors who made the role entirely theirs and who were unknowns and were not all Academy Award winners at the time of their casting.
What does that have to do with my post? I don't care if they had awards or not, because I know that they had to nail their auditions to be cast. Awards just help with the concept that they are capable actors. The fact that Ledger, Hathaway, and Adams were cast proves that they gave the best auditions. It helps a whole lot when the director has proven that he knows and cares about the source material, like Nolan has.

Quote:
I mean Zack Snyder cast all unknowns for Watchmen and look at how great that turned out. The whole cast was pitch perfect with no Academy Award recognition to their names.
Except for Malin Akerman who was pretty bad. Jackie Earle Haley was not necessarily unknown, he was a child actor and just came off an Oscar nomination for Little Children. Billy Crudup has been an indie's darling since 1999 and was in the high profile films Big Fish and Mission Impossible 3. And we all made a point of knowing Carla Gugino after Sin City.

Having said that, I'd agree with you that they aren't well known to the mainstream movie-going audience. But I'd also have to say that that specific crowd is no more familiar with the Watchmen graphic novel than they are with the cast.

Quote:
It helps, but never the first solution and/or choice.
I didn't mean to imply that only award-winning actors should be cast in these films. In the 90s, most Oscar nominated/winning actors wouldn't be caught dead in a comic book film. Directors didn't care about the source material and were typically hired guns instructed to make something digestible by mainstream audiences so toys can be sold. I think the fact that some viewers can yawn when critically acclaimed actors are cast in super-hero films shows how far we've come with the genre.

Last edited by DaveyJoeG; 01-31-2012 at 11:02 PM..