View Single Post
Old 03-06-2012, 03:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe1985 View Post
There is no such thing as price gouging. It was a term made up to make people believe they are being cheated.

You know what determines prices? Supply and demand. If demand is there, prices will rise until the demand drops.

Nobody forces you to buy these snacks, they are offered to eat with the movie. It is not a necessity to live. As mentioned, go before or after the film to dinner.

Movie theaters are in the business to make money. It is a luxury meant for those who can afford to go. If you do not like the prices, rent a movie, get some local grocery store popcorn, and enjoy in your own home.

Problem solved.
And I quote
"Price gouging is a pejorative term referring to a situation in which a seller prices goods or commodities much higher than is considered reasonable or fair. This rapid increase in prices occurs after a demand or supply shock: examples include price increases after hurricanes or other natural disasters. In precise, legal usage, it is the name of a crime that applies in some of the United States during civil emergencies. In less precise usage, it can refer either to prices obtained by practices inconsistent with a competitive free market, or to windfall profits. In the Soviet Union, it was simply included under the single definition of speculation."

So there very well is price gouging in the world. To me, this includes itheaters (sporting events too). You are not allowed to bring in your know stuff and then they over charge you for their goods. That is the very definition of price gouging.

Oil / Gas is supply and demand. That is not the case for theaters. They are not making enough money from the distributors of movies, so they try to rip us off.

In case you are not aware, less tickets are sold today and almost every year for the last 10 years. It is a major problem of the movie industry, so people are choosing to not go. There's your lower demand. Yet prices keep going up. So your theory is not working here.

Maybe, just maybe the theaters should lower the pricing on their goods and that would prompt more people to show up or buy. I know I would be more likely to buy their stuff if it was at better pricing. Unlike sports, who sell out their events, movie theaters are not nearly as full as years past.

I am also so sick of that bullshit line "if you dont like it, dont do it or buy it" We all know and understand that, but that does not make it right.