View Single Post
Old 03-15-2012, 07:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyJoeG View Post
I edited my post above to add some more about why I think The Departed needs to be grittier. It's not that I want violence or ugliness just for the sake of it, it would actually add depth and dimension to the characters. The scenes you posted are fine conceptually, but the execution leaves a lot to be desired. For example the gunshot to the knee is so quick(yet obviously CGI) that there's no real impact. Notice how there were no cuts in the Goodfellas scene I brought up? Which one has more impact?
We'll have to agree to disagree on the movie. I think we were just looking for different things in the movie.

As for the knee shot, it was a gun shot, so there really isn't a lot else to show other than him getting shot and the blood spurt. It happens fast so that the chaotic nature of the scene can continue to flow. It would be silly to just show the dude sitting there as blood flows from his knee. We need to get back to the task at hand, which is Costigan finding out about Costello being an FBI informant. The gunshot is Costigan's method of motivating the guy to spill the beans.

And I already addressed the GoodFellas scene. It's silly to compare the two. The point of showing Hill pistol whipping the neighbour with an unbroken shot is so that we can experience what Karen is experiencing. She really knows what she has gotten herself into at this point. Before this, it is kind of ambiguous to her exactly what he is into.