View Single Post
Old 03-16-2012, 04:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyJoeG View Post
I think DiCaprio's performance is a bit unrealistic because in real life, people don't ask so theatrically. When you're stressed out and anxious, you try to hide your issues as much as possible, especially if you're an undercover cop trying to conceal your identity.DiCaprio externalized every bit of his emotion, which just doesn't happen a lot in real life.
The scenes where he yells tend to be the ones with the therapist, the police who have thrown him into this shitty situation, when he's roughing someone up, and when Damon erases his identity. All of these situations seem like appropriate scenes for an undercover cop experiencing extreme anxiety to vent. When he's around the mob guys, he tends to be a bit more reserved.

Quote:
If you judge both performances, Depp's character did a much better job slipping into his criminal persona, and the mobsters in The Departed should've figured out Leo and put a bullet in his head within the first act.
I think the obviousness of the character being an undercover has more to do with the character's history and less with DiCaprio's performance. Like I said, when DiCaprio is around the mob guys he is more subdued and lets his stress ball up. He vents when he's not around mass murdering Jack Nicholson and Ray Winstone.

Quote:
Also, like AceD said, his accent was very iffy.
I'm not really the best judge of accents and rarely use it as a criticism if the rest of the performance is excellent, so it wasn't really a big deal for me.

Quote:
No kidding you can tell, Leo might as well have been screaming "I'm fucking stressed!" It would go along great with the "It fucking hurts" line. I think Leo's a fine actor but this is not one of his better performances, and seeing him in the Departed made me appreciate Depp's subtle performance in Donnie Brasco even more.
Being on edge and looking like you haven't slept in months aren't exactly things that you can control. Maybe in the Donnie Brasco world.

And again, what you are seeing as subtle in that performance, I am seeing as flat. As a result, the film becomes flat and less intense than it should be.

Last edited by Bourne101; 03-16-2012 at 04:11 PM..