View Single Post
Old 03-25-2012, 09:37 AM
The Muppets (James Bobin, 2011) A
I knew I would like this, but I didn't realize how much I would love it. It's very sweet, charming, and funny, with great musical numbers. I think there was a bit too much fourth-wall humor, and the voices were different, but those are minor gripes in the face of a great movie, perhaps one of the best Muppets movies. I initially wasn't sure it would do justice to some of the most beloved characters of all time (Fozzie Bear being my favorite), but it's absolutely fantastic and makes me want to go back and rewatch all of the older Muppet movies as well as the TV show. There hadn't been a Muppets movie in twelve years prior to this film, and hopefully this kicks off a steady stream of new Muppets content because I can't get enough.

21 Jump Street (Phil Lord/Chris Miller, 2012) A-
Holy shit was this movie funny. I mean REALLY funny. It's the funniest movie I've seen in years. It's got every kind of joke you could imagine, and it pulls them off so well. I love the self-referential humor. It's never done too much and it's always great. Channing Tatum and Jonah Hill have a great chemistry and I like that Channing Tatum wasn't afraid to look like a dumbass. Finally, there are a few cameos at the end, some you may not recognize, but one you definitely will, and they're all jaw-droppingly awesome.