View Single Post
Old 03-29-2012, 06:39 AM
Past Tense

This week we invest in flood and earthquake insurance with "The Day After Tomorrow"...

The motion picture opened on May 28th, 2004. It was made with a budget of $125,000,000 (estimated) and grossed over $186 million during its U.S. theatrical run. The film opened number two at the box office, the following week it dropped to number three.

The feature opened against "Van Helsing", "Mean Girls", "Troy", "Shrek 2" and "Soul Plane".

This release originally came with a lenticular cardboard slipcover, slightly different from the case's wraparound (cover image on the right). There was an insert; one side, chapter listing, the other side, variant artwork of the Statue Of Liberty getting hit with a wave (kinda like the image below). It also came with an advertisement booklet; mail order certificate - $5.00 off when you buy any two titles offered, $10.00 if you purchase any three. You needed to have two or more of these DVD with sale receipt dated between August 24th, 2004 - April 30th, 2005. Plus you had to cut out the proof-of-purchase tabs and send it all together or the rebate. The offer expired on April 30th, 2005. Yes, you read right, the run time of the offer ends on the same day as the certificate. I guess if you mailed it to them early in the morning with same day shipping it could get there in time, but that seems too costly and defeat the purpose.

The 20th Century Fox titles were "The Girl Next Door", "Dodge Ball", "The Day After Tomorrow", "Man On Fire", "24: Season Three", "I, Robot", "Alien Vs. Predator" and "Daredevil: Director's Cut". It also advertised four other additional titles.

- - -

Above is a bit of art from the movie. I have no screen snap since there is none to give so I opted for the above.

There was one exclusive to be had and it was from Best Buy.

This set streeted on October 12th, 2004 for $15.99. The bonus disc came in a CD envelope. There is no menu screen, though there should be (has eight elements) - it just plays. Everything is presented in non-anamorphic widescreen. And has a runtime of 13:13 minutes.

These pieces include: behind-the-scenes featurette on the 'Ice Shelf' (creating the opening scene); First Look program for "i, Robot"; theatrical trailer for "Alien Vs. Predator"; sneak peeks for "Man On Fire", "i, Robot", "Alien Vs. Predator", "Alien Quadrilogy" and "Predator".

This is also one of my early exclusives and I missed out when it first came to the store. I bought mine from Wal-Mart. A couple weeks later I found out about this and re-bought the DVD, sold the extra copy on Ebay. I'm lucky. For this offer Best Buy had 175 copies per store as advertised. This doesn't happen anymore. Most times exclusives are limited to less than thirty, a lot of the time - eight copies per store... or less.

- - - - - - - - - -

Footnotes.

Unless I'm mistaken (don't think I am), this was the second time it happened; somewhat common now, a televised preview. Fox ran an exclusive ten minute clip for the film right before "American Idol" on May 12th, 2004. I know this, I took notes. Did I not establish that I'm anal? What was the footage? Don't know, I passed on it - wanted to see it at the theater, which I did on opening day. Anyhow, what was the very first?

The title of the first ever belongs to another 20 Century Fox motion picture which came out earlier that same year, "Dawn Of The Dead". This ten minute preview (the opening when Ana [Sarah Polley] finds herself now living in a dead world) happened on March 15th also on Fox during their telecast of "Final Destination". Yeah, I know - that bit of info should've been included on that Past Tense entry. I forgot.

This was the first film I saw Emmy Rossum (Laura) in. She's pretty and huggable. I have another movie of hers, "Phantom Of The Opera" (2004), haven't gotten around to watching it. I've had that DVD for a few years now, it'll get done.

I like this quote from Ain't It Cool News contributor Moriarty speaking of the man known as Roland Emmerich (director and co-writer)...
Quote:
It's like the retarded guy working the fry machine at McDonald's. Nice guy. Always friendly and in a good mood. And he makes really tasty fries. I wouldn't let him land a plane or perform open-heart surgery on me, but as long as he's King Of The French Fries, he does it well.

So damn true. I enjoyed this movie, the right mix of action and excellent scenes of devastation. The only downside was the somewhat clichéd characters. He did a MUCH better job for "2012", I can truly call that feature epic. Don't give me that look. It was the perfect popcorn flick.

There was some controversy for "The Day After Tomorrow". While the film is very loosely based on the book "The Coming Global Superstorm" by former radio personality Art Bell and author Whitley Strieber. Harvard professor, Ubaldo DiBenedetto claimed in a German lawsuit that Emmerich stolen his idea for the movie. The professor said he gave Emmerich his novel, "Polar Day 9" (written under the pseudonym Kyle Donner) to read in 1998. The screenplay is credited to Jeffrey Nachimanoff and Emmerich (with nods to Bell and Strieber). Don't know if the suit was tossed out or if Fox settled. By the way, DiBenedetto wanted an unspecified amount for damages.

DVDs. There are two (three if you count the full screen version) editions of this movie. The second ('All-Access Collector's Edition') streeted as a two disc set on May 24th, 2005. Did the extras from first release carry over? Should I keep the single?

Ditch it.

All the extras, minus two didn't carry over. What were they? The first was a lame ass bonus called "Inside Look". It's not even listed with the extras on the disc, it's on the main menu. It's a glorified teaser for "Mr. & Mrs. Smith". The second is for DVD-ROM; Windows (98SE or higher) based. Watch the movie on with the included player on your PC. There is a link for additional bonus features (the back says claims over an hour of exclusive 'making of' footage). I was hoping that there were videos I could watch with my various players (I'm a Mac). Nope - NONE. All of this footage is streaming video.

I'm glad I did this post. I've had both DVDs since release date. Why? The first release is utterly pointless if you also own the two disc version. I'm getting rid of this Past Tense entry. I know a guy who buys used DVDs. I've taken that exclusive disc and inserted into the 'All-Access' case. Now I need a three disc case for this title.

- - - - - - - - - -

Rant.

Okay. Let me address this. The ending. This is something I remembered from back then. A comment at one of the message boards I haunt, could've been IMDb.

At the conclusion it isn't all hugs and giggles, things don't go back to normal. Hell NO! The human race got a major bitch slap. Much of the upper hemisphere is covered in ice. Lets not mince words, a few billion people died. Whole nations were wiped off the map. Yes, you have survivors, but ponder this... FOOD. A huge section of the world's agriculture was taken away. How are you going to feed the remaining masses? This doesn't include the next, SHELTER. Those lucky ones who were on the edge of the frost are going to move further down, South America and Africa. While true, the ice will melt, eventually - this incredibly massive snow front will have an huge effect on global climates... colder.

This isn't a happy ending, the survivors will have such terrible hardships ahead of them. It will take a generation or more to bounce back from. I'm not even talking about political turmoil - warlords, tyrants and dictators will rise to power. Wars over limited resources. The movie ends with our gang getting picked up by what remains of the U.S. government. The future is so uncertain, many more will perish from harsh weather, starvation, sickness and/or hostilities.

Got that?

Good.

- - -

Interesting. When I came up with this post, I didn't think there was much to write about and I had so few images... at that point. This turned out pretty well. *nods*

This was suppose to be last week's entry. I pulled "Planet 51" out of my ass at the last minute. I'm surprised on how well it became. Anyhow, this post grew so much I decided to save it for this week - go out big... see below.

- - - - - - - - - -

Notice.

This is something I knew would have to happen. I've been dragging my feet on this for more than a month. Looking at my list and the weeks ahead, I have to plan for the future. 'Past Tense' will no longer be a weekly post. Sorry, but I'm on the edge of burning through my material. Starting next month, this feature will become - every other week. With that in place, I have enough material to run for the rest of the year; till the end of January 2013, provided that the world doesn't end. That's a lot of 'Past Tense'. *nods*

What happens after Jan. of next year? The best I can say is, we'll see.

That being said, I'll see you guys here on April 12th.