View Single Post
Old 03-30-2012, 06:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyNet View Post
I honestly can't really refute any point you made! Well played sir.. BUT at the risk of replying to the above quoted portion by misunderstanding what you mean, Could you just clarify it a little?! Thank you sir!
That's the trickiest point to clarify lol. Its a very long history. Ill try and shorten it up a bit and hit just the key points though.

African American gangs were initially formed defensively. Young African American boys were jumped and beaten severely by White gangs.
The solution: African American boys started traveling home from school in large groups. These groups later became gangs. The black gangs and white gangs would get into brawls.

The police force was allowed to arrest African Americans for as little as driving through a 'white only' neighborhood.

There were also White supremacy groups. Most notably, the KKK would sometimes travel into black neighborhoods and murder innocent blacks. The KKK were responsible for more crimes than many realize.
One of their most heinous crimes was bombing a church in the early 60's which killed 4 little girls.

The FBI, under orders from Hoover, paid off Klan members to bomb black civil rights groups. Hoover perceived Black Civil Rights as a threat to the internal security of the country.

MLK, Malcolm X, and Fred Hampton were all assassinated. Fred Hampton was assassinated by the police and the FBI. He was killed unarmed in his sleep.

Also, an interesting thing to note. The two main political proponents of black civil rights were John F Kennedy and Bobby Kennedy. Which were also both assassinated in the same decade as MLK and Malcolm X.

I'm not saying the Kennedys were necessarily killed because of Black Civil rights, but it's interesting nonetheless.

These assassinations were a sizable blow to the Black Civil Rights movement. The coup de grace was the prominent rise of Heroine in the community.

With few key leaders to lead the movement, and the rise of heroine addiction skyrocketing, the community was in shambles.

Suddenly theres no hope, no money, no leaders. Just a huge market for Heroine.

Much of the youth turned to dealing heroine. It was one of the only ways to make a decent amount of money. It was either deal drugs and make good money, or work hard all day in a factory and make nothing(which was and still is extremely common).

Suddenly, the neighborhood drug dealer is the role model. Because he had the nice cars, the nice houses, the nice clothes, etc..
Your parents worked hard and made nothing. Drug dealers made everything.

Many young boys looked up to these initial drug dealers, and grew up to become dealers themselves.

This is a link to the intro of one of my favorite hip hop albums. It contains an excerpt from one of Omali Yeshitela's speeches. The speech is an interesting analogy about why so many youths become drug dealers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3og0JaKAbZw

If you're interested, there are a few interesting documentaries that discuss a lot of this at great length.

Theres

'The Black Power Mixtape' which is excellent. It's a 2011 documentary. Im pretty sure it's on Netflix instant streaming.

Theres also

'Crips and Bloods: Made in America' which is not as good but still has a lot of fascinating and disturbing information about the initial formation of African American gangs in Los Angeles during the 1940's.
It too, is probably on instant streaming.

Also, a lot of this info can be found online. Like I said earlier, it's a very long history, and theres so much backstory.

If theres any portion that you want me to go more in depth, I can. Just let me know.