View Single Post
Old 04-12-2012, 06:47 AM
Past Tense

This week we finally get toast from toasters with season four of Battlestar Galactica...

Howdy! Since this is the first new PT in two weeks (new schedule), I decided to do a two-fer; both half seasons of the final run of the Ronald D. Moore "BSG" reboot.

"Battlestar Galactica: Season 4.0" was released on home video on January 6th, 2009.

It streeted against "Babylon A.D", Mannix: The Second Season" and "Pineapple Express".

As far as I know, there was no insert.

- - -

There was three exclusives, all were from Best Buy *shakes hand*, a limited edition gift set (eight per store) - sold for $39.99. It came with a pair of dog tags (Captain Kara Thrace; metal, not plastic), a thirty-two page photo booklet and exclusive slipcover (partial embossed).

The booklet's first four pages sums up what came before season 4, the rest is character profiles.

The other exclusive is gone now, though I downloaded them (MP4s) - on the then website. The store had two deleted scenes NOT included in any box set. These axed moments were from the episodes "Faith" and "Six Of One". Sorry, I checked, that link has long expired.

Eight per store; gone in probably less than thirty-five minutes. I have notes, I'm anal. I got there on release day at 10:13 AM. There were three copies present. I was expecting to find the lot on the 'new releases' table. Nope. Then I looked in the television section... of course not. Then on the end of their isles with more new releases. Negative. Finally I saw a DVD cardboard stand, holding various titles and those said three copies. I'm lucky to have mine.

*sigh* Many found the slipcase a disappointment. The image above does not express it well. You have to be extra careful not to damage the box. The booklet and tags fit inside the case, but even when they're inside they don't fill in the available space. The cardboard on the dog tags' blister pack, isn't DVD case size. So the thin cases within kinda slump over. You can easily squeeze a dent by grabbing the box wrong. Many have complained, myself included. There was a semi-solution...

A fellow named "JSwarce" (from the "DVD Talk Forum") fell upon the idea of removing the bonuses and the slim case for "Battlestar Galactica: Razor" (previous Past Tense). You could fit, that is if you bought it, the full size DVD release for "Razor" (including its slipcover) in that gap. The slipcase would become solid. That's good I suppose, but I think that was accidental. I'll explain in a few. I opted not to do that. So I have the tags (not opened, still sealed) and booklet inside. The dog tags normally retail for $19.99.

The last exclusive is from Canada, their retail giant Future Shop - which is a sister company of Best Buy; a steelbook case, sorry I don't have the release week price.

"Battlestar Galactica: Season 4.5" was released on home video on July 28th, 2009.

It streeted against "Charles In Charge: Season 5", "The Middleman: The Complete Series" and "Repulsion".

There was an insert; one side, an ad for the then upcoming Sci-Fi Channel series "Caprica". The other side is an ad for Sci-Fi/Universal DVD box sets; "Heroes: Season 2", "Battlestar Galactica: Season 4.0", "Eureka: Season 2", "The Incredible Hulk: Season 5" "Bionic Woman: Volume One" (2007 reimagined series; while it reads V1, there was never a second installment, the DVD has all eight episodes) and "Buck Rogers In The 25th Century: The Complete Epic Series".

- - -

As far as I can tell there was only one exclusive from Best Buy, a similar limited edition gift set - sold for $39.99. This also came with a pair of dog tags (Admiral William Adama; once again metal), a thirty-two page photo booklet and exclusive slipcover (partial embossed).

As with the last, the booklet's first four pages sums up what came before (season 4.5), the rest is additional character profiles. It's rather slick looking and well put together, both booklets. I didn't have the problem I did for 4.0 when I bought this. Easy.

The slipcase... same design, same size void. This could be a design feature to incorporate the then later release, "Battlestar Galactica: The Plan". Nope. The DVD won't fit inside, too thick - you're not taking one of the slim cases out. This is why believe the DVD replacement was just a coincidence in 4.0.

Just in cased you missed it, both box sets could be placed side-by-side for one image, the image on top of this post, which is cute, but impractical. Sure, each box has ten episodes. Same deal, the dog tags here are still sealed.

I don't know if Future Shop released a steelbook case for 4.5. Sorry.

Above is the individual covers for seasons 4.0 and 4.5. And yes, it does look like Apollo is staring at Starbuck's breasts. Maybe looking for a better ending....

- - - - - - - - - -

Rant.

I love the show, don't get me wrong. But the ending leaves a lot to be desired. I would still recommend the series, but give a warning about its conclusion. Here's a good quote that pretty much encapsulates my feelings.... (spoilers below)
Quote:
Completely insane element: Flash forward 150,000 years (which is even further than the flashforward at the end of A.I. - one of the most absurd endings of all time. Well done, BSG!). We learn from angel Baltar/angel 6 who that little Hera's bones have been found in an excavation in Africa. Along with her human father and Cylon mother. A little girl. A LITTLE GIRL??? Okaaaaay... so that means Hera dies. Like, really young. Like, as a child. Like, really soon after we last see her. So, basically, could someone explain WHAT THE FUCK WAS SO IMPORTANT ABOUT HERA IF SHE DIED MONTHS AFTER REACHING NEW EARTH!!! Seriously, was God's plan for Hera to appear on the cover of National Geographic? Was that it? And doesn't Hera invalidate evolution? I mean, she represents a human being that is out of time by at least 145,000 years. I mean, seriously - humans haven't even developed LANGUAGE. We're pretty far back in the human chain of existence. And now scientists are looking at a modern homo sapian girl. Wow. Thank you God for totally fucking the theory of evolution. Maybe that WAS God's plan. Maybe that's the ultimate message. God exists. Evolution is bullshit. But I kinda doubt it. This was a disaster of a season. A total trainwreck of an ending with no comprehension of the material. I mean, there's shit that just was a complete "fuck you" to logic and storytelling.
- Karterhol

Yeah. Yeah. Nailed it.

There is a long winded and detailed pontification (is that a word?) by a fellow fan, named Brad. He breaks down the finale ("Daybreak") like his bitch and makes it eat from the doggie bowl. It's huge and worth the read. Believe. Click and understand.

You see, Moore made such a big deal that the entire series was mapped out. We would get a satisfying conclusion. Then later after the finale aired, he said he had trouble coming up with an ending. Dude, you lied. You had six months +plus in between filming 4.0 and 4.5 since Sci-Fi decided on ten episode seasons. That's another rant; it's their highest rated show and they didn't want to pay for season four (it almost didn't happen). The only way it for more programs was make it short. Add to that the year in waiting for the second half. Dumb ass move, folks are still upset about that.

I'm sadden that the BSG universe appears to be dead. I liked "Caprica", the final episodes kicked ass. It has some good company; the final episodes of "SeaQuest DSV" were good. Yes, good. They finally found their legs, the show now had a direction, a new Cold War. The same can be said for "Star Trek: Enterprise". This was the stuff they should've been doing from the pilot on forward. Canceled. Yes, SyFy (God that name still bugs me) will have a web based series called "Battlestar Galactica: Blood And Chrome" which tells of the war before the one on cable - a young Bill Adama. I saw the promo, it's okay. Will there be a DVD release? Probably not.

Anyhow, they should've gone with the same actor who played Young Adama in the "Razor" flashbacks, Nico Cortez. The new guy looks far too young for the role. Plus they redesigned the older Cylons, broke continuity. Add to this mess, there is a second reboot in the works, a theatrical film - origin story. There is plenty of room for a continuation, a prequel series would work. Not so much here.

- - -

A courtesy notice. If you bought that mega box set for "BSG", you didn't get all the extras. I'm not talking about the above mentioned internet based, deleted scenes. I'm talking about the mini-series. When it came to DVD on December 28th, 2004 it had deleted scenes which didn't carry over to the mega set or season one box. True. If want them, you need that mini-series, doesn't matter which pressing (it first came as a two disc set and later as a single double-sided disc). *nods*

Plus the mini-series is single sided on one disc in the boxes, three hours compressed. Better picture quality on the separate release, either way, both parts were presented on its own disc or side.

And I would be remiss if I didn't mention that the content of this PT appeared here, this very thread, three years ago. That is to say, the images (most of them). The information presented in this post is new.

So there you have it, next go-around on April 26th.