View Single Post
Old 04-17-2012, 05:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisoGenie View Post
Lol, I agree with everything said in that video and I consider myself somewhat of a feminist. I believe that men and women deserve equal rights...if they earn them. The human should have to earn respect for oneself, rather than a collective gender having more or less than the other. That's basically what he was trying to get across. Sure, he made some statements near the end about man being the reason why we're here, but it's true. As he himself stated in the video, if a woman got up and said that everyone would be applauding the "brilliance" of the comment.

...So? He, as a racy comedian made a borderline offensive joke at a Halloween party of some sort? Who would'a guessed!? I'm a huge fan of Steve Irwin, and was practically raised on his show. I watched that religiously! I felt terrible when I heard of his death and I really do sympathize with his family. With that said, I've told my fair share of Iriwin jokes and have laughed at a good deal more of them. There were even a couple quips on the show mocking how prone he was to dangers from his job (in one episode he wakes up on a hospital bed with literally nothing left of him but his head). It's like playing an extreme sport: one knows the dangers that they're getting into, so is it really that great of a surprise when something happens? Yes, it is sad, but that is just something that the person was very well aware could happen. Steve had a great sense of humour about things and I'm sure that he could get jokes dealing with the incident. People lawl'd at the Steve Irwin jokes on South Park a week or two after he died, yet Maher's joke is too far? I don't see how this even applies or makes him a "douchebag."

Bottom line: This is why I hate politics and morals in general.