Well done Whedon , well done !
Usually , being as hyped as I was before going in usually only leads to a feeling of deception. I'm glad The Avengers really did live up to the hype.
There's a couple of reasons for that:
- The fact that Thor-Ironman-Hulk & Captain America already had their own origin story movies helps the story get to the point. I mean the table was set before the movie begins so it starts with a bang and almost never let go. IF DC wants to do the same , they gotta start blending Justice League in their next Batman,Superman,Green Lantern reboot and make a good movie with Flash and Wonder Woman.
- No one is left behind. Each character shines and brings to the story. That's a feat with so many heroes. I was happy that Black Widow plays a huge role.
- The tension in the team is credible. Black Widow VS Hulk , Thor VS Ironman , Thor VS Hulk ( sucker punch FTW ) , Captain America VS Ironman. Every angle is addressed.
- Lots of humor. Basically 50% of that is Robert Downey Jr as Ironman (probably the best casting in all superhero movies with Hugh Jackman as Wolverine) but the point is that with all the actions , the movie tries not to take itself too seriously.
- 220M$ budget feels like a 500M$ budget .... so much destruction , fight scenes and FX . You know they made good on the budget.
- Lots of "blink and you'll miss it" cool stuff. Whedon really had the fans in mind when he made the movie and it's one of the rare movie i'll actually see again while in theater.
- My surprise of the movie : Colbie Smulders as Agent Maria Hill. I mostly know her as Robin from How I Met Your Mother. Well this is a really different role for her and i really believed her "loyal & driven" S.H.I.E.L.D operative role. She reminded me of Astrid in Fringe. Also , the jeep scene was nice.
My only concerns is for people who have not seen any the "pre-team" movies. Well at least the ones who didn't see Thor since that's the movie that explains Loki's backstory.
and btw , this is my favorite poster!