Thread: The Avengers
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2012, 03:42 PM
There was a discussion a page back about how this movie will be the new benchmark for superhero ambitions, and I think that's almost ironclad. The reviews are astounding, the opening was incredible, and the general reaction is really positive. I'm acknowledging that even though the Avengers might end up flagging where I part ways with the superhero movie because I'm not the audience for them anymore. I didn't think much of the movie, but everybody else did. Most of the film felt like a high profile Power Rangers feature. I'm not engaged by this version of superhero comic books, but there's no more question - this is the popular version of superhero comics. There is no indication that this isn't the new benchmark. Its reviews are unprecedented, its box office is unprecedented, and likely its reception will be unprecedented. Audiences, critics and money have spoken, and I can't imagine why everybody won't listen in the future.

Those of us who shrugged our shoulders and started fidgeting in our seats should accept that we're no longer the audience. We are the odd guys and gals out. Avengers has achieved something as close to universal approval as possible, and I won't be surprised if future properties try to follow this model. I just hope a few superhero adaptions will still come down the line that will interest people like me.

Quote:
Marvel has managed to bring the comic book world to life. DC has brought real life into their comic books.
Great comment on the whole thing. I agree, and it explains where the audience parts ways. The good news for fans of superhero comics is how receptive mainstream audiences have been. So much of Avengers - the economic dialogue, the convolution of disparate ideas from separate universes co-existing (the worm hole into another universe, the alien invasion, mind control), and the almost total detachment from disbelief, is something a lot of comic book fans probably didn't think would ever be so readily embraced. It opens a lot of new doors. Whatever fallout it causes for people like me is negligible, because we aren't the fans and we aren't the people anybody needs to please.

200 mil opening. Hot damn.