Thread: The Avengers
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2012, 02:48 PM
The Avengers - 7/10

This was a blast. Whedon did a really good job of balancing the characters and structuring the movie in an efficient and satisfying manner. The action sequences are fantastic and while some may compare the final showdown to that of Transformers: Dark of the Moon, I felt it was much more focused than that and actually served a purpose and gave the characters a goal. There are also some really funny moments that arise naturally from various different situations. The humor rarely felt forced. I do have some issues with the movie though. In my opinion, Iron Man and The Hulk are far and away the most interesting characters used in the movie, and I personally find Captain America, Thor, Hawkeye and Black Widow to be rather uninteresting characters. I think it would have been better to substitute a few of them with characters like Spider-Man and Wolverine. I'm not familiar with the comics though, so I don't know if that would be blasphemy or not. I also had some issues with the plot, which was rather stale. Whedon certainly made the most of it, but it was something we have seen so many times before. Unlimited energy sources, portals, etc. The use of all of these characters is itself original, so why not put them in a story that isn't the basis for every generic superhero movie that we've seen in the last 15 years? Also, while Tom Hiddleston was great as Loki, that character isn't really all that interesting. I wish they went with someone a little more menacing (although his lack of menace does lead to the best scene in the entire film). Overall though, I would say Whedon hit about a triple, just shy of a home run. I think with a better story, some more interesting characters, and a more menacing villain, the sequel could make it over the fence.

Last edited by Bourne101; 06-10-2012 at 10:42 PM..