Thread: The Avengers
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2012, 08:48 PM
tlw/ dr

Quote:
So you are saying the benchmark has been lowered?
Nah. I don't represent any universal measure for quality, and 'objectively' the Avengers is a superior product in so many of our product measures - its box office (so far), its critical reception, and even its audience reception seems uniquely positive in a way I haven't seen from a comic book movie since Dark Knight. I'm just acknowledging that I didn't enjoy the film because I'm looking for something different in a superhero movie, and wondering if what I'm looking for might become a niche. Before Marvel came along the super hero movie, while finding its footing, was still experimenting with new approaches that varied in substance and ambition. To me, Marvel movies (original Iron man excluded) felt almost streamlined. They had different directors, unique visions, interesting casting choices, but for whatever reason, they felt similar in some way I can't define well because I didn't connect with the movies and haven't put any thought into it.

Quote:
You are one of my absolutely favorite posters on the entire internet, and I just want you to know how much I look forward to reading your stuff. You have both intelligence and insight, and you express yourself very well.
I don't have a background in comics, although I have read the typical assortment of top shelf stuff comic fans can hand off to the uninitiated without a problem (Alan Moore, Gaiman, the usual). I come into this stuff from the background of someone who is into anime, when the film industry is still in its infancy with anime the way the super hero movie was still in its infancy about 12 years ago. And that's a good comparison party because these mediums have a lot in common, both because of the enormous scope they cover - which is why I said 'medium' and not genre, and also because of the difficulty in translating their stories and storytelling onto film. They have their quirks. They have their angles people outside the medium scratch their heads at, and it takes some time ingratiating mainstream into the fold. It's difficult enough to adapt them into film for the mainstream. What's more, each successful adaptation makes some ripples which influence other projects in development. And while super heroes in film have had enough solid hits to give the field some flexibility, Avengers is still unprecedented, still a watermark, and I'm wondering what kind of waves it will make.

Quote:
You are one of my absolutely favorite posters on the entire internet
If DC begins putting together Justice League again, I wonder how often a trilogy like Nolan's is going to be able to appear (or Snyder's Superman, for that matter, which I'm looking forward to). Like adamjohnson said, Nolan brought real life into comics while Marvel is bringing comics to life, and that's an interesting difference.

Quote:
One of the things I really like about following these adaptions is the huge gulf filmmakers have to jump across to make the transition. I love that. Filmmakers have to really work to translate anime stories or comic book stories into film. It's interesting to watch and it's invigorating, because it forces filmmakers to be innovative in a way most blockbusters aren't. But I want them to have to work hard to figure out a way to transition comic books. Avengers makes me wonder if filmmakers aren't going to have to work that hard anymore, because the worm holes and mind control alien attacks all came into the picture with the swift ease of a comic book, and much swifter than the individual movies introduced their comic bookish elements. Iron Man worked to introduce its universe. The Incredible Hulk was fine. Both Captain America and Thor also made some efforts. Avengers gets brownie points for its ambition, and in a way, it is the culmination of another new innovation. And it's a little silly to complain about this movie having allowed itself to introduce itself with ease, since the Avengers has been introducing itself ever since Iron Man started.

Quote:
But I don't know how many people have actually followed the individual movies. They have not been 'that' successful. It's possible audiences have just reached a point where they no longer have to be ingratiated into a comic book world, which means that the innovations which come from a filmmaker having to translate comics into film could dwindle a little bit.