View Single Post
Old 06-04-2012, 08:33 AM
I have always enjoyed the various revisions of Grimms' Fairy Tales
Some have been comedic, or playful and erotic like the Zenescope Entertainment
series of comic books
In this latest version from writers Evan Daugherty,John Lee Hancock and
Hossein Amini and directed by Rupert Sanders Snow White and the Huntsman
is definitley the darker almost humorless version of the ages old tale.

I love that the film provides a good backstory for the evil ,youth and immortality
obsessed Queen Ravenna (Charlize Theron)The film holds on to much of what has made
the tale of Snow White enjoyable,from the inclusion of the prince (Sam Claflin) the seven....
well make that eight dwarves portrayed by Bob Hoskins, Ian McShane, Ray Winstone, Toby Jones,
Eddie Marsan ,Johnny Harris,Nick Frost, and Brian Gleeson with the help of some flawless SFX
Mainly known as Thor from Chris Hemsworth provides the same likeable big,,brave, bravado persona as
Eric the Huntsma. Even Kristen Stewart as Snow White is able to shelve her dour,discontent,scowling for
most of the film.
But Theron steals every scene she's in..A stunning ice cold performance whether stealing youth from maidens or scolding her
creepy brother Finn (Sam Spruell) i couldnt take my eyes off her.She looked quite comfortable sitting on the throne.
The film is beautifully shot,from the Dark forest to the Sanctuary, home of the fairies,a scene so vividly stunning
I almost wished it had been shot in 3D

Some characters have great introductions,but slowly fade away into the background.The story does lag in some areas
and i had hoped for a more epic battle at the end of the film.
Snow White is a very good and nowhere near the campily bad 2011 Red Riding Hood flick
If more films of legendary Fairy Tales are going to be done in this fashion bring em on !!

Scale of 1-10 an 8