Thread: Brave
View Single Post
Old 06-18-2012, 12:55 PM
Brave

BRAVE

Directed by Mark Andrews, Brenda Chapman, and Steve Purcell (co-director)

Written by Mark Andrews, Steve Purcell, Brenda Chapman, and Irene Mecchi

Story by Brenda Chapman

Starring the voices of Kelly Macdonald, Billy Connolly, Emma Thompson, Julie Walters, Robbie Coltrane, Kevin McKidd, and Craig Ferguson

Rated PG for some scary action and rude humor

Running time of 93 Minutes

Set in Scotland in a rugged and mythical time, "Brave" features Merida, an aspiring archer and impetuous daughter of royalty. Merida makes a reckless choice that unleashes unintended peril and forces her to spring into action to set things right.

I was lucky enough to see the film last week, and although not at the highest of Pixar standards I still quite loved it. The film is gorgeous (naturally), but it also tells a very intimate and emotionally involving story. The film is simultaneously scarier and a little goofier than most other Pixar films, but it makes a very nice niche for itself and is a damn good fairy tale. This will fit well into the Disney pantheon of princess stories. Meridia is a terrific character, voiced to perfection by the lovely Kelly Macdonald.

The hint of negative early word I am hearing on it is baffling to me. Films, in my opinion, should be judged on their own merit, not whether or not they live up to some set of studio standards or expectations. Okay, it may not be as good as Up or Wall-E, but is it a good film in its own right? I absolutely think so.

A note: do not see the film in 3D. Much of it takes place at night and is thus rendered extremely dark.

Last edited by SpikeDurden; 08-01-2012 at 08:52 PM..