View Single Post
Old 07-05-2012, 11:15 AM
It's kind of hard to fairly judge this movie. I think if the Raimi films didn't exist or there was a lot more time since them, I would have loved the hell out of this movie. But because it's a reboot that happened so soon and decides to fully tell the same origin story that everyone has seen or heard a million times before, there were a lot of parts that just seemed redundant even if they were well done. The part of the story I enjoyed the most was easily the mystery about Peter's parents and it's no surprise that was something the last trilogy didn't even touch.

On the positive end, I thought the entire cast was excellent. I was never a huge fan of the "lovey" plots in Raimi's movies, but I didn't mind the character stuff here. The Lizard wasn't quite as bad as I expected, but he wasn't good. It just annoys me that out of all the villains in all the Spider-man movies made so far, they've all had the same hook. Tragic accident or experiment gone wrong turns misunderstood, but good guy into sympathetic villain (the only exception was Venom in SP3, but we all know how well they handled that). I know that's always what the Lizard was, but he had some unnecessarily freakish similarities with past SP movie villains that seemed out of place. I still think the best way to use the Lizard would have been in combination with Kraven. Have Peter trying to stop the Lizard knowing who he is and that he has no control while Kraven tries to hunt them both.

And finally, there were a lot of unresolved plot points. It was clearly intentional, but it made the movie feel more like it was a TV pilot trying to keep people tuned in for the rest of the season. I don't know how that's going to turn out.

Last edited by moose1132; 07-05-2012 at 11:19 AM..