View Single Post
Old 07-25-2012, 07:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cop No. 633 View Post
I'm not sure if plot hole is the right word because I never really called the movie out for plot holes, but that I think Nolan didn't take advantage of the situation he created for the film. I don't mind plot holes if the story is really good. There was a lot of dramatic potential in this film, but the stakes just weren't there for me. I never felt as if anybody was in harm's way in TDKR. Not Batman, not Gordon, not John Blake, Catwoman... at least in TDK, it felt as if people could die at any moment. Killing off Rachel and having the Joker threaten Gotham's citizens directly elevated the stakes in that film giving it more suspense. You need to have high stakes in a film like this and for me, the nuke was a terrible way to convey that feeling simply because you know that it was never going to destroy Gotham. It's a MacGuffin in the worst sense of the word. At least with Batman Begins, Nolan was more clever for making that MacGuffin tie in with the Scarecrow's fear toxin. And we saw how it was affecting Gotham. Everyone was losing their minds on the drug. That rose the stakes in the climax. In TDKR, it was simply a nuke. He didn't go that extra step, which I was used to from the other Batman films he made.

It also reminds me of a great line from the Joker in the Dark Knight which explains my disappointment with this film: You didnít think Iíd risk the battle for Gothamís soul in a fistfight with you? And that is essentially what the ending of TDKR film was. It was a giant fist fight over Gotham. Between Bane and Batman. Between the cops and the terrorists/inmates.
My bad man, That last post was a bit all over the place. I certainly agree with you with not being able to take advantage of the Gotham situation. The point I was trying to make was that Nolan's sense of storytelling that felt so concise and on point in TDK felt a bit more lost in the shuffle in this outing, as if Nolan felt he took more character arcs since he was able to handle Dent/Batman/Gordon's/etc. characters arc so well. It just seemed like Nolan thought he could bit off more than he could chew in some regards.

But, for me, there was so much good in some of the missed opportunities that I came out satisfied for the most part.