View Single Post
Old 07-25-2012, 10:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
But then these same kids look up to this athlete and view him as an idol. Then they emulate their heroes. I meet on guy who actually believes that date rape isn't a bad thing, it's just part of having a good time. Guess who his heroes are (and have been since he was a kid)?
You can't blame celebrities for the way our culture worships them. There was a very public facebook campaign to get Christian Bale to dress up in the Batsuit and visit these kids in the hospital. I think the Batsuit idea was pretty bad, but it's a nice gesture that Bale took the time to visit them. The campaign was going viral and Christian may have looked pretty bad if he refused, it was just a matter of time before somebody brought it to his attention publicly, and put him on the spot as to why he hasn't visited yet. He's damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.

Even if it helps him look good in hindsight, he managed to bring some joy and excitement to these victims for one afternoon. It's obvious that he didn't bring any type of publicity crew at all. All of the pictures are quite amateurish cell phone photos that were posted by the victims themselves. So any conclusion that Bale is doing this solely for PR reasons is a product of your own cynicism, I'm willing to give Bale the benefit of the doubt.

I have to say that your dismissal as others defending the "all mighty Bale" and ridiculous claims that they are masturbating to Christian is as insulting as anything that's been posted here.

Quote:
So, it's inappropriate to think that exploiting a tragedy is wrong?
Nope, but I think there are many people that are far more guilty of this than Christian Bale. The media is running this story 24/7. They are actively exploiting this tragedy, and as somebody who works for a news station, it makes me sick.

Quote:
Well, Bale is a great guy. I'll forget that he was arrested for assaulting his mom, or his ridiculously idiotic and abusive rant toward his fellow filmmaker, or all the other jackass antics he is known for. He is a great guy, just like Mel Gibson!
Would you care to go into all the other jackass antics he is known for? Bale is human, and has made some mistakes, but he's no Mel Gibson.

Last edited by DaveyJoeG; 07-25-2012 at 10:21 PM..