View Single Post
Old 07-25-2012, 10:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyJoeG View Post
Impressive self-restraint. I'd be going crazy if I hadn't seen the movie by now.

Spoiler:
I can see him enjoying the ending. He seemed to understand that Nolan intended on ending Bruce Wayne's story and be okay with other liberties that were taken, such as Bruce wanting to stop being Batman in TDK. If anything, I think he'll be disappointed that the love triangle between Bruce, Selina, and Talia wasn't more fleshed out.
Okay, I finally saw this film last night, but I got in very late, and had to go to work early today, so I haven't had any posting time (reworking websites is a very time consuming occupation). So, few things:

I LOVED the ending. There, I said it. Here's why:

Its perfectly in line with the comics. First, some history. For the last few decades of Batman comics, there's been a very decisive picture of how Bruce Wayne/Batman would "end up". Those who watched Batman Beyond, and saw Bruce living with his dog all along in that dark, black house that is Wayne manor, no color, no nothing, know what I'm talking about. This interpretation of Batman's "end" was cemented by Miller in The Dark Knight Returns and became comic book dogma: old Bruce, falling apart physically from years of being Batman, all alone, having alienated everyone in his life. That's the way Batman ends, to a modern audience.

It wasn't always so.

Back in the 1960's, DC had an aging problem, the characters from the Golden Age had aged considerably, and DC wanted to reboot the universe without getting rid of the old characters. Crisis hadn't been invented yet, so people were making due with what they had. DC created a multi-verse, and put the original, Detective Comics #27 Batman on earth two, and the new, silver age, rebooted Batman on earth one. There were actually two batmans, the older one on earth two and the younger one on earth one. Hence, the brand new give away comic that shops have been giving customers for the last two weeks:

Now, in the late fifties, one of the crux arguments of the senate witchhun...hearings on comics that nearly shut down the industry was the accusation that Batman encouraged homosexual behavior (that's why silver age batman was given a string of girlfriends in the 60's, and its where the "billionare playboy" comes from). In the 60's, golden age Batman actually does retire. Selina Kyle reforms, and Batman and Catwoman get married. Why do I personally think this is one of the coolest stories of all time? Because anything that paves the way for:

is cool in my book. I'm a big fan of Helena Wayne. She had the coolest line in one of the latest issues of World's Finest, where she said "some parents teach their kids to swim by throwing them in the pool, mine taught me by throwing me out of a plane."

So, yes, the idea that Batman has a bad ending to his career is a relatively new invention (DKR came out in 85) but it has a powerful hold on people's psyche because it seems to "make sense" given the arc of the character in current print. However, it wasn't always this way. I will say this, if Bruce had wound up with anyone BUT Selina, I would be unhappy. Bruce has dated plenty of hot chicks, but one, and only one, ever got him to the chapel and had the minister pronouce sentence: Selina. The reason being is because Selina is in love with Batman (she doesn't much care for Bruce Wayne) and she's the only girlfriend who is compatible with Bruce being in a relationship and being Batman. Selina doesn't make Bruce choose, because she doesn't want him to give up Batman.

That's what Alfred "gets" that there is a choice, and Rachel laid it down in the last two films: either find love, marry and be happy, or be Batman. Because no woman was going to stick around after she found out, not even Rachel. Selina is the only one who never asks him to make that choice. She loves her mask too, and she doesn't want to give up being Catwoman anymore than she wants Bruce to quit. Bruce finally finds "true love" in the form of a person who will accept him for what he is, and doesn't want to make him into something else.

The whole sleeping with Talia thing does work in the sense that, if there was ever going to be a #2 to Selina, it would be Talia. The biggest thing that stands between Talia and her "beloved" ever getting together is him. Talia loves Bruce, but her higher devotion is to her father, and to his ideals. I did think Bruce and Talia throwing down was cool, because it happened:

In son of the demon, a book that Grant Morrison recently brought back into continuity. The "son" is Damian Wayne, this guy:

So, there is at least the foundation of a physical relationship. Like I said before, one of the things I was looking forward to in this film was the "love triangle" between Bruce/Selina/Talia. Its well pronounced in the comics (Talia trying to "elimanate the competition" etc.) and I think Nolan does at least a decent job introducing it in the films.

Okay, last thing, and my full review will be in my next post, time permitting. The issue of "Robin". Off the top of my head, here are all the Robins, I can remember:

Dick Grayson - the original Robin, who served from the 40's all the way to the 80's. Grayson grew up, left Robin and became Nightwing. Also interesting, like John Blake, Dick Grayson's current occupation is a cop. That's his day job in the comics.

Jason Todd - Jason was Dick's replacement, after Jason got caught trying to steal the tires on the Batmobile. Jason was a troubled youth, who, got into trouble. He wasn't liked by readers, and DC killed him off in Death in the Family.

Tim Drake - Tim Drake is a guy who, like John Blake, is an excellent natural detective. After Jason's death, Tim got the job when he deduced that Batman and Bruce Wayne were the the same person. Tim is currently red robin (he too has moved out from under Bruce's shadow)

Stephanie Brown - was only Robin for about Half a year, and eventually became Batgirl, She died in war games and was brought back later. She was in Africa the whole time.

Damian Wayne - the current Robin, and Bruce's biological child via Talia. Worked far better than I thought he would. The kid had chemistry with Dick Grayson as Batman, but now that his pop is back, the dynamic is even more interesting.

Carrie Kelly - Honorable mention Robin. She was Robin in the landmark work The Dark Knight Returns.

So, being Robin is like like being a padawan leaner in Star Wars, you learn the ways of the force, and then you "Graduate".

More next post...