Thread: Killer Joe
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2012, 12:10 PM
Killer Joe

Directed by William Friedkin (French Connection, Exorcist)
Starring: Matthew McConaughey, Emile Hirsch, Juno Temple, Gina Gershon and Thomas Haden Church

Wow, what a sick and twisted piece of filmmaking. I loved every second of it. Anyone else see this yet? McConaughey plays Killer Joe, a cop who moonlights as a killer for hire. Hirsch, Temple, Gershon and Church are a family of rednecks who hire him for a job that will result in them getting rich, at least by redneck standards. As dark as it is, this the funniest movie I've seen all year, which I'm pretty sure means I need professional help. Hard to believe this is based on a play (by Tracy Letts who also wrote the screenplay) because watching some of this shit in person would be very uncomfortable. This is the first NC-17 rating ever that actually seems justified.

I'm glad to see that Friedkin, one of that great group of directors from the 70's, hasn't lost his edge. He's been through a bit of a dry spell since To Live and Die in L.A. but proves here that the underrated Bug from a few years ago was no fluke. That movie was also written by Tracy Letts (again based on his play) and I hope he comes up with another twisted tale for Friedkin to direct. These two make a great team.

Find a way to see Killer Joe, you won't be sorry. Actually you might be.